All-Star Gyms Banning Athletes??

• Thread starter Deleted member 11199
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have definitely said it. Far better to let them know up front than to cause everyone problems and bad feelings later.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Precisely. I recently spoke with a potential new athletes mother (and grandmother). They're leaving their gym bc it only has a L3 team for her age and she can't tumble a lick. So her coaches told her she can't compete if she doesn't have the skills by August. She's hoping for a L2 team at our gym (she's always been a L2 or 3 bc of them only having one age appropriate team) and idk if I'm going to be able to retrain their brains for her to be on our L1. That's where she needs to be but it won't be an easy sell. As long as I can show them that's how it will be anywhere else they go they may come around.

Here's hoping I can channel my inner Yoda and be a Jedi cheer master

I just think it's really sad when owners/coaches treat their athletes bad after their decision to leave... athletes don't leave unless you give them a reason too or if they're moving... you must of done something wrong or not provided the right things for them... either way you shouldn't burn bridges because you never know if they will come back to you one day... treat others the way you want to be treated... as a business owner, you must please your customers the best you can to make them stay... if you aren't doing that... why wouldn't someone leave? after all they are the ones paying your bills aren't they??

I just think it's really sad when owners/coaches treat their athletes bad after their decision to leave... athletes don't leave unless you give them a reason too or if they're moving... you must of done something wrong or not provided the right things for them... either way you shouldn't burn bridges because you never know if they will come back to you one day... treat others the way you want to be treated... as a business owner, you must please your customers the best you can to make them stay... if you aren't doing that... why wouldn't someone leave? after all they are the ones paying your bills aren't they??

Unfortunately sometimes there are things you can't provide for them. You can't always guarantee they are going to fly, or be the point flyer, have last pass, be point on jumps or dance no matter how good or bad they may be or how many years they have done it in the past. Sometimes you can't provide a certain level team either because of numbers, age level, or competitive skill set. Sometimes you can't give them continuous tuition breaks throughout the year knowing the chances they will catch it all up and pay in full at tax time is slim and none. And many have left gyms for these reasons - as well as many other reasons. So it is not always treating an athlete bad; sometimes it is owner and coaches not giving in to unreasonable demands that makes them want to leave.

The way I see it, is that any business owner really has the prerogative to run their business as they see fit. While, I find a lot of the stories of banning above demeaning and egotistical, I kind of see it as an inkling towards other things that I might not appreciate about their business model. I also have realized throughout the years that the people who are most passionate about what they do, are often the most easily riled up and prone to emotional mistakes, due to their emotional investment in what they do. So i feel like it is a trade off sometimes, while making every decision based on how you feel is not advisable, I do like a coach who really cares... If that makes sense. I also strongly believe that we cheer parents are customers and should be treated as such. While I recognize that there is a lot to be dealt with when it comes to people and their children, I also think that this is part of the business, so every gym should have at least one person with strong diplomacy skills!

ETA: and that diplomat should probably be prepared to handle things like people leaving, and keeping people from being banned for emotional reasons!

It's honestly ridiculous if you ban someone from your gym for trying out for another gym with bigger opportunities. It's like kind of saying, you want to hold them back..let's say you go to a gym. You have your full and double, but that gym doesn't have a level 5 team, so you get stuck on the level 4 team with layouts. Though, next season, you have the opportunity to go to a new gym with multiple level 5 teams. What would you really pick?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I believe that Gyms are able to do what they want, and if they feel that an athlete should not be in their program, then that is their decision. Good or Bad, there are reasons for this, whether we like it or not.... I have mixed feelings about it sometimes, I don't think if a kid leaves a program, where they have been for years, but feel they are not growing is one thing, its another if you are looking for the Ring, the Jacket, the Banner, the Glory!!!! That is different, you should just go, and not come back I guess....? Good Luck to all programs in the country, whether you have banned or not! Cheers!!!!:fro:

I think of it In-N-Out giving their fries recipe to Burger King.
If that makes any sense.

Not really. This is more like if they're teaching the other gym's coaches how to coach tumbling. One athlete receiving tumbling is more like the customer who goes to Burger King for a burger and then runs across the street to In-N-Out for the fries. Neither business is getting everything they want but at least they're selling one product. My advice to In-N-Out would be "Fix up your whole package. You're so busy focusing on making the side dish good you're slacking on the main course. This is not your customer's fault. Better be careful - if they have friends in the car they might all end up across the street getting their whole meal, crappy fries and all." (*Although in my example you'd have to substitute McDonald's for In-N-Out because obviously In-N-Out makes good EVERYTHING)

I also think you guys are confusing banning *one* athlete with not allowing any competitors to tumble at your program. Not allowing any competitors is one thing - see above, I don't really think it's a good decision, but at least it's across the board. Banning ONE athlete because they choose to switch programs, whether you allow other athletes from other gyms to come tumble or not, is what this thread is about. That's usually emotionally driven, not business driven at all. It has nothing to do with not wanting to improve the competition - that's a decision that would dictate a policy for all athletes. This is wanting to punish one family for a decision they made that hurt some feelings.

Side note: once again, this is an attitude I find unique to cheer (and some other youth sports). Most businesses have no interest in "punishing" customers who choose to try a different company. Most businesses want to try to bring customers back. Cheer is the only business I know where business owners act as though we should be thankful they allow us to spend our money at their program. I have never understood (and will never understand) this. Yes, as a business you are free to make whatever policies you want. I just find that cheer more often makes those policies based on emotions rather than business sense. Sorry to be harsh, but the majority of cheer gyms are run by people who wouldn't know business sense if they tripped over it (majority, not all).

Unfortunately sometimes there are things you can't provide for them. You can't always guarantee they are going to fly, or be the point flyer, have last pass, be point on jumps or dance no matter how good or bad they may be or how many years they have done it in the past. Sometimes you can't provide a certain level team either because of numbers, age level, or competitive skill set. Sometimes you can't give them continuous tuition breaks throughout the year knowing the chances they will catch it all up and pay in full at tax time is slim and none. And many have left gyms for these reasons - as well as many other reasons. So it is not always treating an athlete bad; sometimes it is owner and coaches not giving in to unreasonable demands that makes them want to leave.

I agree with everything you just explained above. Makes perfect sense. But in those cases - wouldn't you be glad to see them go? Or if not glad, would you be so outraged that you banned them?? I definitely see why some families leave that in no way reflect on the coaches or the way the business is being run. But I don't get "banning" them for any of the reasons listed above. People mature (parents too), realize it can't always be about their kid, realize everyone won't give a free ride to their CP, etc. So you wouldn't let them come back? There are definitely situations where banning makes sense (stealing, bullying, etc) but it seems like too many times I see it when a talented athlete leaves and the owners/coaches are just so mad about it, that banning takes place. That's what I don't get it.

Not really. This is more like if they're teaching the other gym's coaches how to coach tumbling. One athlete receiving tumbling is more like the customer who goes to Burger King for a burger and then runs across the street to In-N-Out for the fries. Neither business is getting everything they want but at least they're selling one product. My advice to In-N-Out would be "Fix up your whole package. You're so busy focusing on making the side dish good you're slacking on the main course. This is not your customer's fault. Better be careful - if they have friends in the car they might all end up across the street getting their whole meal, crappy fries and all." (*Although in my example you'd have to substitute McDonald's for In-N-Out because obviously In-N-Out makes good EVERYTHING)

I also think you guys are confusing banning *one* athlete with not allowing any competitors to tumble at your program. Not allowing any competitors is one thing - see above, I don't really think it's a good decision, but at least it's across the board. Banning ONE athlete because they choose to switch programs, whether you allow other athletes from other gyms to come tumble or not, is what this thread is about. That's usually emotionally driven, not business driven at all. It has nothing to do with not wanting to improve the competition - that's a decision that would dictate a policy for all athletes. This is wanting to punish one family for a decision they made that hurt some feelings.

Side note: once again, this is an attitude I find unique to cheer (and some other youth sports). Most businesses have no interest in "punishing" customers who choose to try a different company. Most businesses want to try to bring customers back. Cheer is the only business I know where business owners act as though we should be thankful they allow us to spend our money at their program. I have never understood (and will never understand) this. Yes, as a business you are free to make whatever policies you want. I just find that cheer more often makes those policies based on emotions rather than business sense. Sorry to be harsh, but the majority of cheer gyms are run by people who wouldn't know business sense if they tripped over it (majority, not all).

No wonder you have so many shimmies...That was perfectly said. Your CP's must be older - you have got this market completely figured out. Perfect analogy.

This is a perfect explanation....wish I wrote it. :eek:

No wonder you have so many shimmies...That was perfectly said. Your CP's must be older - you have got this market completely figured out. Perfect analogy.

:cloud9: Thanks! My cp's (who aren't cp's anymore) are 11 and 18. So yep...older. :)

I think it is so stupid for coaches to ban athletes for reasons other than rule breaking, not paying, etc.

I live in an area with about 4 gyms within 45 mins of eachother, 2 within 10 minutes. I have seen girls hop back and forth between these gyms multiple times. Sometimes parents and athletes just want to see if another gym caters to their needs or if the athlete fits in better there.

That being said, I quit all star cheer to focus on high school cheer 2 years ago. I have tumbled at 2 different gyms with no hard feelings from my old all star coach. She understands that some coaches work better with some girls, and another opinion on skills never hurts. By not burning bridges, I feel welcomed at both gyms.

@AndrewSky I'm going to California next month and guess what is next to the hotel...In-N-Out! Funny you just mentioned it and I've never been. Now I can finally try it instead of just going on word of mouth. Mmmmmmm...burgers. :D

Back