All-Star Gymtyme International Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Really, though, it’s not any different than a high school age athlete competing for his/her school and being on an AS team. In our area, it is common practice for AS coaches to get side gigs coaching, assistant coachibg, or doing choreography for school teams. It is a symbiotic relationship.
That's true. But I think in this instance GT/UOf L use close to the same routine for worlds and Daytona. Also several athletes are on both teams. So although high school athlete(s) can be both on a hs and all star team most likely the two teams don't have/compet the same routine.

Not as well known but Powersports Big Dippers IOC6 is 100% athletes from the Blinn Junior College Cheer team. I think similar circumstances happen more often than people realize. And one of the Kentucky squads just recently competed at an All Star Competition.

Their video is on Varsity TV

University of Kentucky-Cheer [2018 International Open Large Coed 6 Day 1] CHEERSPORT- National Cheerleading Championship

Last edited:
Not as well known but Powersports Big Dippers IOC6 is 100% athletes from the Blinn Junior College Cheer team. I think similar circumstances happen more often than people realize. And one of the Kentucky squads just recently competed at an All Star Competition.

Their video is on Varsity TV

University of Kentucky-Cheer [2018 International Open Large Coed 6 Day 1] CHEERSPORT- National Cheerleading Championship
With Kentucky, it is the White squad that goes to Cheersport and Blue is who goes to UCA. Cheersport used to have a college division, they did away with that a few years ago but Kentucky continues to go. That's the team's only comp of the season and they only compete as an "all star" team because there is no longer a college division for them to compete in.

Theres definitely a girl on UofL all girl as well as both red and pink. I don't think she's been on red all year, but she definitely won a summit bid with them at cheersport & I know she's on pink

As coaches, we do all we can to make stunts legal despite what the rules say to make our routines better. Why not do that with athletes too if it will give you a better team. Good for them for working the rules like that. If people want it to stop, then put a rule in place that you can't cross between University and All-Star programs, similar to high schools. Look at Elizabeth Swaney who is competing at the Olympics on a rule technicality. Definitely not what FIS was thinking when the qualification rule was brought in, but good for her for making it work to her advantage. Bet theres a change to FIS qualifications after this Olympics.

I mean, it is such a limited pool of talent at levels 5 and 6...it’s not like you can just find folks doubling in the park and stuff. I think if athletes meet the criteria for whatever teams they are trying out for...they should be allowed to compete and roster for as many teams as they have the time to be on! As cheer people, we should actually applaud this.

Fortunately, I don't see it happening. Why would Varsity or USASF want to limit potential athletes thus resulting in less money......

We had a friend that cheered at Clemson and an All Star gym their college coach was associated with. NCSU has a very strict no All Star policy with their athletes. They sign a contract and their first and only obligation is to the University. Why run the risk of someone getting hurt outside of the schoools domain and putting college coach in position to replace in a Nationals Routine. Plus. The amount of work that the cheer team at NCSU puts in is crazy. And it shows in their top 3 finishes at NCA.

We had a friend that cheered at Clemson and an All Star gym their college coach was associated with. NCSU has a very strict no All Star policy with their athletes. They sign a contract and their first and only obligation is to the University. Why run the risk of someone getting hurt outside of the schoools domain and putting college coach in position to replace in a Nationals Routine. Plus. The amount of work that the cheer team at NCSU puts in is crazy. And it shows in their top 3 finishes at NCA.
Lol, I don't think Louisville is hurting in their finishes at NCA by doing this. Neither is programs like Navarro, TVCC, OSU, and others that allow athletes to do both and consistently place top 3 if not consistently win.

Lol, I don't think Louisville is hurting in their finishes at NCA by doing this. Neither is programs like Navarro, TVCC, OSU, and others that allow athletes to do both and consistently place top 3 if not consistently win.
I’m not saying it does. But this is just the policy at our school. Our kids cheer football. Men’s and women’s basketball. Gymnastics. Wrestling. Volleyball. Public appearances. Weight training. Daily practices. Plus most of the athletes are in very rigorous academic programs They just have a policy that kids cannot cheer for an all star program while they cheer at State. Maybe because we are considered part of the athletics program and not just a spirit squad makes a difference too.

I’m not saying it does. But this is just the policy at our school. Our kids cheer football. Men’s and women’s basketball. Gymnastics. Wrestling. Volleyball. Public appearances. Weight training. Daily practices. Plus most of the athletes are in very rigorous academic programs They just have a policy that kids cannot cheer for an all star program while they cheer at State. Maybe because we are considered part of the athletics program and not just a spirit squad makes a difference too.

There's nothing special about what NC State does that means they don't have time for it or can't do it. I was a computer science major in the honors program that graduated Magna Cum Laude with a job and did college cheer and a once a week open team. With GymTyme/Lousville, a GT practice is essentially another Louisville practice, so you're not really risking injury.

The program may not allow it because they don't want to deal with potential injuries or distractions, but NC State isn't unique in any of those regards. The program may also feel differently if it was an all-star program they ran or were involved with.

Last edited:

My gym owner coaches a college team in D3 that always finishes top 3 and all of his athletes cheer on one of the open teams at the gym. There's definitely a benefit to getting in front of a crowd earlier and more often. He may feel differently if they weren't his open teams though.

The routines aren't the same, but the skills are similar and our open 4 team actually competed in the school's uniform a few weeks ago (didn't have the school name on it though).

Last edited:
Back