All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lisa Seye

Cheer Parent
Oct 26, 2013
Mom: Daughter kicked off cheerleading team because of curly hair | abc13.com

Interesting story. I straighten my daughter's hair but I straighten it on some regular days too. It can damage it if you do it too much and don't use heat protection........

One thing my co team wants is way teased hair, which definitely will kill my cp hair and cause it to have to be cut. I am searching for alternatives and found several alternatives to try. So I can sorta understand mom but I don't think straight hair would have been where I would draw my line in the sand and cause my kid to not be on the team. Everyone's different though.

I have very similar hair to the girl featured in the story. There is no possible way I can straighten my hair properly. The only time its straight is when my stylist does it and it takes a long time.
However... I dont think WE would have kicked the girl off for this reason.
That is ubsurd. Maybe at Craptastic Allstars, but not WE.
That would mean all girls with bobs and african americans are cut as well?
I'm sure she may have been asked to try and straigten it and it sonehow got blown out of proportion. Suzys mom at her finest!

I read the article and understand WE's stance. If a kid has stick straight hair it is up to them to find a way to get it curly...and yes, this can be damaging to straight hair as well. If you are particularly pale you may need to spray tan a bit so that you blend a little bit better. Cheer teams are scored better when there is uniformity which is why they wear the same uniforms, makeup, hairstyle, shoes, etc. This sport is about consistency, being part of a team, and cooperation. If she and her mom decides that her "natural beauty" is more important than the requirements of the team, then this might not be the sport for her. We ALL have team requirements that might not work best/easiest etc for us, but with team sports, it is about the team, not just individuals.

This sounds more like she was kicked off because of her mom being an SM rather than her daughter's hair and the gym didn't want to deal with it. You know what, props to WE for sticking up for yourselves and not tolerating that. Just another reason why I adore WE.

The fact that she thinks her daughter's hair is the problem and not her attitude just reinforces the SM-ness of this. If it was that big of a deal for the mom, she could've found a hairpiece.

Last edited:
Sounds like this parent wasn't willing to compromise at all. That line that the girl said her curls give her power pretty much summed it up that she wasn't going to give in no matter what. Kids these days have a sense of entitlement and parents feed into it. No matter where you go in life you have to follow rules. Get used to it.

I read the article and understand WE's stance. If a kid has stick straight hair it is up to them to find a way to get it curly...and yes, this can be damaging to straight hair as well. If you are particularly pale you may need to spray tan a bit so that you blend a little bit better. Cheer teams are scored better when there is uniformity which is why they wear the same uniforms, makeup, hairstyle, shoes, etc. This sport is about consistency, being part of a team, and cooperation. If she and her mom decides that her "natural beauty" is more important than the requirements of the team, then this might not be the sport for her. We ALL have team requirements that might not work best/easiest etc for us, but with team sports, it is about the team, not just individuals.
Kind of makes me sad that based on your skin paleness and hairstyle that scores can b better or worse! It should b strength and skill uniformity over looks, that teams r judged on.
My daughter never did the crazy teased pony except for Worlds because she did not want to damage her hair. I kind of understand where the mom is coming from.

Kind of makes me sad that based on your skin paleness and hairstyle that scores can b better or worse! It should b strength and skill uniformity over looks, that teams r judged on.
My daughter never did the crazy teased pony except for Worlds because she did not want to damage her hair. I kind of understand where the mom is coming from.
I honestly don't think it matters what the hair looks like and skin. Look at Smoed, pretty sure all the girls in the team had different hair styles and are all different shapes and colors and they won worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was a weave pony not an option for this young lady?

As a Black woman, I get the "can't straighten my hair all the time" issue as we really should not straighten our hair often if we want to have hair. Most of us just did a weave pony or left it curly went on with life. That's what my HS kids who are Black do as well.

Last edited:
Back