All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would you want to be the one on the team going against that coach? I have to go back and watch the video; I'm curious if any of the cheerleaders were interviewed about it and what they had to say (now that the duct tape was off their mouths).
If they were too intimidated to refuse, then I can see where the outrage is coming from.

But from what I'm reading, only their mouths were covered. Their hands weren't tied, they could have easily removed the tape if they wanted to.

This = when people say "Her husband abused her? Dude. The door was open. She could have just left!"

It's all about the power dynamic.

Yes, you could rip the tape off, but if you're 15 and this is your coach (whom you're SURE is going to be believed over YOU if you tell), are you REALLY going to?

This = when people say "Her husband abused her? Dude. The door was open. She could have just left!"

Yes, you could rip the tape off, but if you're 15 and this is your coach (whom you're SURE is going to be believed over YOU if you tell), are you REALLY going to?
See my post directly above yours.

I would have been on the floor blacked out. I can barely breathe through my nose when I'm sitting still, so I would not have near the amount of oxygen I would need to do literally anything. I'm the person who was so congested at Cheersport my junior year of high school I was literally hacking up while I was on the mat, spitting off the floor. There's no way I would have made it through that practice.

A thousand times yes to this. My kid (who is pretty vocal) would never speak up against a coach or other authority figure. She had a girl land on her neck during full outs last week and she kept going. Came home and burst into tears. I asked her why she didn't stop and she was like "Mom, it's full outs and we have comp in 3 days".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thousand times yes to this. My kid (who is pretty vocal) would never speak up against a coach or other authority figure. She had a girl land on her neck during full outs last week and she kept going. Came home and burst into tears. I asked her why she didn't stop and she was like "Mom, it's full outs and we have comp in 3 days".

I think that is going too far. What if her neck injury turned into permanent damage! Then would the comp in 3 days matter? Crazy

I think that is going too far. What if her neck injury turned into permanent damage! Then would the comp in 3 days matter? Crazy

Kids are irrational little beings and honestly age doesn't really help. They're still formulating their own forward thinking and if they already have a natural personality trait of being passive to an authority figure, it only gets worse. My eldest is the same way and she's 7; she would have never spoke out against the coach in practice and I would have been lucky if she came to me about it after. I probably would have noticed the red lips, but she doesn't balance between doing the 'right' thing and speaking up versus getting people in trouble even when they deserve to be. It's an issue I foresee causing problems for years despite the fact that we've been working through it since she was about five. It's her personality and sadly I can't just 'fix' that.

Me, on the other hand, would have told the coach to go f herself as a teenager because, while I was a people pleaser, I never was when it came to my physical or emotional well being. So I likely would have been a kid who would have walked out and called someone else to come handle that coach.

The world is made up of billions of individual people and with that tons of personality types and traits.

If people still don't have a reason to take what the media says with a grain of salt because they will report anything to get a reaction out of people then check these out:

"Original" News Story:
New York woman sues 12-year-old nephew over hug that broke her wrist | US news | The Guardian

The facts of what actually happened:
Woman vilified for suing 12-year-old nephew breaks her silence - CBS News
After social media backlash, aunt says she was ‘never comfortable’ suing nephew - The Washington Post

How :rolleyes: many :rolleyes: times :rolleyes: can :rolleyes: I :rolleyes: roll :rolleyes: my :rolleyes: eyes?

(I know this isn't cheer related but I think it's relevant to this thread and the lessons we have all learned from it.)

I don't know since your eyes should be on the prize ;)

ETA: but for real that first article was funny that they quoted her as saying she couldn't hold her hors d'oauvors or it was to crowded in NYC
The quotes they used against her were BRUTAL. Granted I'm in NYC so I have less sympathy, but I wondered- was there a REASON she didn't mention things about insurance or whatever while the trial was happening?

The quotes they used against her were BRUTAL. Granted I'm in NYC so I have less sympathy, but I wondered- was there a REASON she didn't mention things about insurance or whatever while the trial was happening?

If she mentioned it, could it have been turned around on her late for fraud charges? Or maybe to gain sympathy?

I lack sympathy for her because it's hard for me to imagine how she didn't think this would become a thing in this day and age, but at the same time, they did use some of the worst quotes possible to describe her. The tray comment alone was killer.

My eyes are always on the prize, don't you worry you're pretty little mind ;)

Tonight the prize is exposing the media because frankly I'm tired of it.

You should aim for higher prizes. Though I agree with you on the media; my favorite is the 'media' that isn't real media being shared as if it's fact. I saw an image come up today on Facebook that looked identical to the CNN's Breaking News picture---we had a shooting at a hospital today so I figured it was for that---no, one of those bogus bias media sites used the imagines to break the news that the flu shot is fake or something or another. I was like "Okay then..."

If people still don't have a reason to take what the media says with a grain of salt because they will report anything to get a reaction out of people then check these out:

"Original" News Story:
New York woman sues 12-year-old nephew over hug that broke her wrist | US news | The Guardian

The facts of what actually happened:
Woman vilified for suing 12-year-old nephew breaks her silence - CBS News
After social media backlash, aunt says she was ‘never comfortable’ suing nephew - The Washington Post

How :rolleyes: many :rolleyes: times :rolleyes: can :rolleyes: I :rolleyes: roll :rolleyes: my :rolleyes: eyes?

(I know this isn't cheer related but I think it's relevant to this thread and the lessons we have all learned from it.)
THIS!! @ everyone forming opinions on the Mizzou situation based on articles like the first one coming from national news sources

Back