Hairstyles For Competitions

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by dat.jpp, Jun 19, 2019.

1. FamousxMindset

FamousxMindset Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Sorry but I love the pageantry of our sport, so much bonding occurred when I cheered and girls were sitting in the lobby getting their hair done by a parent or teammate. My kids love using their James Charles palette on comp day. You wanna make a kid's comp weekend compliment their eyeshadow lol.

2. cheernerd5678

cheernerd5678 Slow your roll, Sparkle. Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Hanging out and chatting with my mom while she did my hair and makeup (or eventually when I did my own hair/makeup and she watched) are some of my most cherished cheer memories. I think cheering and always traveling together really helped us bond during what can be a very turbulent time for mom/daughter relationships.

Once I became good at cheer hair, it was also a cool way to sort of mentor/bond with the younger girls, I loved getting to chat with them while doing their hair, teach them or their moms how I did it, and pump them up for the competition.

I absolutely get that it’s not necessary and so agree that hair should work for everyone on the team. I am in favor of being more relaxed with it, but just chiming in that I also have very fond memories of it. It wasn’t *all* bad!

**Granted I was always with small programs/gyms so we had a little more flexibility to spend the time doing hair at a relaxed pace, versus a gym that has teams performing more often and athletes wanting to watch the teams and going back and forth between getting ready and watching. **

3. LittleMissA17

LittleMissA17 When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Yeah I didn't mention the fun of hair parties and doing makeup on the bus to comps. We didn't really match makeup for competitions since I was a school team rather than all star, so if it was clean and not overly done it was fine (we only matched red lipstick.) It's more about finding a happy medium with the fun hairstyles and being more lenient towards everyone's hair texture.

4. BlockHead

BlockHead Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    LOL. I agree! CP's hair requirements are high ponytail 4-5 finger width from the hairline, straightened with no fly aways. It is not an easy task at all. Takes about 15 minutes to do, which I know isn't bad considering what others have to do. But I think it takes longer than what most think it does for such a simple pony.