All-Star Halloween Practice - Altered Schedule Or No?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This would not be the case for us as our gym is some distance so there would not be time.

This is what I fear our situation would be. Do you really believe this is a reasonable ask of an 8 year old, and as someone else said the little siblings of that child who will be impacted?

I understand, but our gym is in the middle of a big neighborhood. They could literally walk across the street into a subdivision. If my kid wanted to trick or treat, even though we don't live in that subdivision or even in the same town I would just take her across the street before or after practice and let her hit up all those houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, this is cool to read. You guys would hate to be in the UK. I've had practice on Halloween and I doubt many gyms would cancel/move their practices for it.

It amazes me how HUGE Halloween is across the pond. It is getting bigger every year here though.

The Gym CP was at previously had practice on Halloween and I took her to the mall right after school to trick or treat for 1 hour and straight to practice. She was ages 4-9 levels through the years 1-5. Practices were mandatory always. CP new gym (well not new its her 4th season) usually cancels practice but I "think" its each individual teams coaches decision. She is on a worlds teams and we are cancelled with a makeup scheduled. Can you take her somewhere local to the gym after practice?

@TheVipersMom a gym wide trunk or treat actually sounds like fun. We used to do them at church and I think us parents had as much fun as the kids.

With that said, we're not a huge Halloween family, but for those that are, I would hate to see that time taken away from families.

This would not be the case for us as our gym is some distance so there would not be time.

This is what I fear our situation would be. Do you really believe this is a reasonable ask of an 8 year old, and as someone else said the little siblings of that child who will be impacted?
I think it is unreasonable to expect kids to never miss practice and then boot them off the team if they decide another event is more important. I agree that absences should be very limited, but a policy that allows none wouldn't be for us.

Sort of off topic, but our area always offers Halloween carnivals and festivities on the Friday evening and Saturday that fall closet to Halloween. It's nice for young kids because it doesn't occur on a school night.

It amazes me how HUGE Halloween is across the pond.
Yes, it is a big deal where I am. There are parties, families go out together, have cocktails together etc. It is a huge event and I feel bad the whole family will need to plan around practice.

Can you take her somewhere local to the gym after practice?
Would be tough considering the distance we drive and time we will get home but would try! Stopping at a local mall quickly or something is another good idea, thanks.

I have to be honest and say I know some of the gyms people here are from and if those level 5 teams can be rescheduled why on earth can our gym not reschedule a y1? We have invested a lot of money in uniforms, time etc this year and obviously would be really upset to get kicked off the team.

Yes, it is a big deal where I am. There are parties, families go out together, have cocktails together etc. It is a huge event and I feel bad the whole family will need to plan around practice.

Would be tough considering the distance we drive and time we will get home but would try! Stopping at a local mall quickly or something is another good idea, thanks.

I have to be honest and say I know some of the gyms people here are from and if those level 5 teams can be rescheduled why on earth can our gym not reschedule a y1? We have invested a lot of money in uniforms, time etc this year and obviously would be really upset to get kicked off the team.
^^^ THIS
We have been at a few different gyms over the course of our years in all star. My kids have been most successful on and off the mat with the gym who has the best balance of cheer and life outside of cheer. Our gym has a strict attendance policy but they are also reasonable. The gym is closed for Halloween. They also encourage high school cheer in the Fall (hugely important especially if you want to cheer in college) and work around the high school competition schedule. My daughter plays lacrosse in the Spring and she works a part time job year round. There is no way any of that would be possible or allowed other gyms we have been at. Sometimes working smarter is far more productive and effective than having practice be the end all be all. It's certainly been successful for my kids :)

Last edited:
Our gym will be closed on Halloween. Those who have practice on Tuesday will have a makeup practice on Friday.

Our gym also does a trunk or treat every year. Not on Halloween though.

Luckily my CP does not have practice on Halloween this year, I am so thankful that our gym does close. My CP has missed several events throughout the years for cheer. She should not have to miss Halloween as well.

Op, are you close with any other moms on your team that feel the same? Could you possibly have a nice, respectful meeting with the coach and/or owners to express your feelings? I totally get the fear of retribution, but frankly, this is a business and if the owner would retaliate for a group of moms expressing a concern in a constructive way...you might be better off elsewhere.
You CAN be successful without threatening removal from the team over a family event. And I think how your family celebrates this holiday counts as a family event. These are memories for your child. She is in the gym several times a week, EVERY week. Halloween is once a year, and soon she will out grow it.

Op, are you close with any other moms on your team that feel the same? Could you possibly have a nice, respectful meeting with the coach and/or owners to express your feelings? I totally get the fear of retribution, but frankly, this is a business and if the owner would retaliate for a group of moms expressing a concern in a constructive way...you might be better off elsewhere.
One of the reasons I started this thread is because others don't appear to be bothered so I wanted to check myself, am I being unreasonable or is this just standard all-star policy of no days off ever? but based on most of the responses here sounds as if this practice is unusual. Perhaps if we all approach management directly it would help? I don't think saying anything as a group would ever go over well...

You CAN be successful without threatening removal from the team over a family event. And I think how your family celebrates this holiday counts as a family event. These are memories for your child. She is in the gym several times a week said:
I so agree with you!

We switched to one of the big gyms this year. They are closed on Halloween. The gym we left used to reschedule practices for Halloween. It's tough to see whether we have an actual rescheduled practice this year as we have a lot of extra practices coming up. My girls cheer high school this year as well. Comps start this weekend. We will do our best to get to our Sunday practices, but we may be late or may miss altogether. The gym is totally understanding on this and it is considered an excused absence.

Last edited:
I really think that balance is the most important thing. Yes, cheer is important. And CP has never had an unexcused absence. That said, I would absolutely consider missing for Halloween if cp was young.

For reference: I am a grown adult. I got married 20 years ago while I was in a masters degree program. And I missed some wedding planning events with my mom bc I wanted to be responsible and not miss class. In hindsight I should have 100% missed those classes to spend time with my mom on my wedding planning.

I think of this when I have to decide about competing obligations.

Back