All-Star Halloween Practice - Altered Schedule Or No?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I’d never heard of trick or treat times before! In our area the really little kids start between 4/5 most everyone else starts around 6 and it starts ending between 8-9. We pretty much around here if the porch light is on they are giving out candy and once the light is off they are either not giving any out or they are done for the night. I’ve had teenagers come past 9 one year, I forgot to turn the light off so they knocked and then they told me there were other teenagers still out, they had waited for the little kids to be done first, but they were only going to houses with the porch light still on. I ended up leaving the light on a little longer had a couple more groups of teenagers come by then turned off my light and didn’t get any more knocks.
We used to do something similar in the last apartment building we lived in. No bag on the door meant do not ring bell. Empty bag on door meant ring bell and they would hand out candy. Bag of candy on door meant please help yourself and leave candy for others! Apartment building trick or treating is the best because weather does not matter at all.

My daughter’s senior team has rescheduled Tuesday night’s practice for Wednesday. Which stinks because now they have practice two nights in a row and we have a far drive, but I’m happy because I know she really wanted to spend her last HS Halloween with her school friends.

My cp was disappointed that practice was cancelled on Halloween but it seems to be an easy decision to schedule an extra practice ahead of time when our schedule was sent to families. I don't think it is fair to mini or youth teams with younger children to ask them to skip it. For jr and sr teams I think it is a bit different but then again I could take or leave dealing with trick or treating on a school night anyway.

Wanted to update that we received notice Saturday morning that youth and junior teams were canceling practice on Halloween...senior teams still have practice as scheduled. We are very happy...hope everyone enjoys their day....
Glad it worked out for you but they should have canceled for everyone.

blink your eyes and your kiddo is 20!

Now, I have never really cared about Halloween but I speak to the bigger picture and what others have said ---- balance. I want to slap the younger me for not seeing this as clearly then and allowing myself to think I was doing the right thing by being uber-committed on behalf of my kids and their sports (not just cheer... though at least the other sports have the potential for "reward" in the long run) Anyway, my retired CP did best when she had balance in her life - not gym gym gym cheer cheer cheer all the time. While I love the friends my CP made in cheer... she also needed friends with different interests and to be able to spend quality time with those friends. Just my old timer advice for you younger ones with kiddos in the thick of it. (Oh and yes, my CP took two years off - one in middle school and one in HS - and still earned some significant metallic hardware at Worlds).

BTW, one year they got Halloween off but had a mega practice on Easter Sunday (and yes, large faith-based gym) but they got the "golden egg" that year.

I sooo agree!! I too wish I could slap the younger me. My CP retired from all stars this year after 10 years. Left a top 10 World's team because she wanted things like school friends, Halloween, High School Cheer and school clubs, also known as a balanced life. She was so tired of saying " I can't, I have cheer". We commuted far so that played a major part into why she couldn't have all stars and all of those things. My son played football and travel baseball his whole life, so there was never a moment we didn't have a sport. We went on our first family vacation without a sport this past summer, their ages of 16 and 18. I couldn't help but regret the years we spent never missing a practice instead of just doing family things. But anyway, retired CP's gym does not close for Halloween. They did do a big trunk or treat this weekend. Everyone buys into the mentality cheer and your spot is more important than Halloween, I know I did, and they do compete next weekend. But now having older kids I want to scream, no no no, let them be kids, take your family back, its more important than anything!

I’m very happy to say that our gym is Closed on Halloween. Kids need to be kids.. My 8 year old CP would be devastated if she couldn’t go out trick or treating with all her friends. My 13 year old CP might not have cared as much, but would still be disappointed..

Our gym had Tuesday practice on Monday, somehow they made it work so our Junior age kids could trick or treat. It was a simple gesture that made my daughter extremely happy since she's only 9.

Back