All-Star Have Any Of You Ever Tumbled On A Basketball Court?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can throw a layout and a standing tuck on gym floor no problem but I wouldn't dare throw jumps to back on a gym floor! I can do most of the same basic skills on gym floor/dead mat that I can do on spring but it's just not nearly as good haha.

I am a little worried because my daughter has only performed on a spring floor and this week she is performing at the Spurs BB game. She can do about 10 powerful bhs on the spring floor so I am sure she will be fine.

We did in High School and I have to say surprisingly I wasn't as nervous on the floor. It took a little while to get used to the harder surface under my wrists but I almost found it easier.

I'm waaay too mental to tumble on the basketball court. I tried to the other day and would have hurt myself pretty bad if I hadn't made someone spot me. If it isn't a spring floor, it freaks me out so bad.

I'm waaay too mental to tumble on the basketball court. I tried to the other day and would have hurt myself pretty bad if I hadn't made someone spot me. If it isn't a spring floor, it freaks me out so bad.
The court is pretty scary, I don't blame you. I had a hard time throwing my tumbling on it at one time and just eventually got over it. Not saying that I like tumbling on the court, but it's definitely a lot less scary now. I prefer grass.

The court is pretty scary, I don't blame you. I had a hard time throwing my tumbling on it at one time and just eventually got over it. Not saying that I like tumbling on the court, but it's definitely a lot less scary now. I prefer grass.
Good to know. I thought I was the only one who freaked out like that.

When we have had to perform for games, it's the worst. I hate tumbling on anything, but spring floor because of my ankle. Whenever I tumble in the grass/concrete/basketball floor I always twist it whenever I go past a tuck.

MY kids ALWAYS tumble on a Basketball Court. It's all we have. Competitions here in our country offers Huge Puzzle Mats and that's the best they could offer. . .

when i was on my level 4/5 and cheered basketball for my school i was in way good shape and would throw standing tucks for every 3 point. Our basketball team wasn't very good so it wasn't that big of a deal haha.

Anyone know what the reason is that WV teams compete on a gym floor?
we don't really know the reason, we've always been told its because they say if you can do it on spring floor you should be able to do it on wood, we're not even allowed to go to competitions with a dead mat, we have to go to competitions that only compete on wood floor. no high school nationals anything, west virginia cheerleading sucks.

i compete in wv too, and call me crazy but i actually like tumbling on the basketball floor. i actually tumble better on the basketball floor then i do on spring for some reason? for example, i've yet to hand a standing one to full on spring floor .. but this is it on bball floor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYrF73gzqA
it does kill your body and everything but i'm pretty much immune to the pain by now hahahah :p and hard floor is what i'm used to. but don't get me wrong i love spring floor too !

and yes jake, west virginia cheering suckkkksss

^ That's absolutely INSANE. One to full on the basketball court? Balls out.

@jayparkk - My coach tells me that it's easier to tumble on the basketball court than the grass because supposedly the basketball court has rods in it or something like that, which gives you a bit of help. So she says.

Tumbling on basket ball court or anything else besides spring floor isnt hard as long I use my technique and not just chuck things. But certain surfaces do hurt to tumble on. I can throw most of my tumbling on spring and non spring floors. But certain things like 2 to whip dbls I cant lol.

My daughter tumbles on the gym floor, which at our school is tile (middle school). She does tucks, layouts, fulls, standing fulls, but not doubles. I also don't think I have ever seen her do jumps to back or jumps to full there. On the football field she does all the same and jumps to back and I think I saw her do a toe full once this year.

Back