All-Star Healthy Cheerleaders!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2010
Hi fierceboarders,
I realize that most of the threads that I post are about diet and weight loss. However, this time the issue is slightly different. I've been having some health problems and my doctor recommended that I get a healthier diet. I was wondering if anyone had a particular diet plan that would be good. I have to have enough energy to cheer of course and I would like it to help me lose a bit of weight. I was also looking for a running and/or other workout plan. I don't run often and can't even run for ten minutes on the treadmill so I was wondering if there is some kind of plan to work up to a 5k. Any other body workout plans are apppreciated too bc I would like to get more toned.
Thanks for all your help :)

Also, many say it's bad to drink Gatorade when you're not working out, but my doctor said I should drink a lot of it..??

Also, many say it's bad to drink Gatorade when you're not working out, but my doctor said I should drink a lot of it..??
Unless you have an electrolyte imbalance, and that's why the doctor recommended it. I'd think it would also depend on what kind of workout you are doing (how long and strenuous). I always thought if the workout was less than an hour, then water before, during and after was sufficient.

Try couch to 5k! Great plan to work up from nothing to being able to run a 5k in 10 weeks. This link has the running schedule to help you build up: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

I also really like blogilates (Blogilates | Fitness, Food, & POP PIlates)... She puts out a monthly calendar and tells you what workouts to do each day. She has a lot of really fun workout videos on youtube and all of them are to pop songs. They're hard but really upbeat and fun to do.

I think its great that you want to get healthier! So many times I see girls shovel junk food into their bodies without thinking twice about it. Not only are you setting yourself up for bad eating habits but also for poor health. Thats not to say that junk food isnt amazing and yummy every once in a while! But only as a treat. I dont have a "diet plan" to give you but I have a couple tips that might help you!
Try out some new recipes using whole grains and low fat options. Many things can be substituted for healthier options (greek yogurt instead of sour cream, coconut oil instead of butter, etc.)
If you want to have energy to cheer, your going to need a good balance of carbs and protein too!
Gatorade isnt horrible, but it shouldnt be a replacement to drinking water because of the sugar content. It is designed to be used during working out and provides the carbs and salt to replenish your body. It dont recommend drinking it a whole lot outside of practice.
Heres a "Couch to 5k" workout plan since you mentioned you want to start running!

Couch to 5k! Just what I need! - Popular Health & Fitness Pins on Pinterest

Im not a runner AT ALL and this actually helped a lot! But running isnt the only option for working out. Try a cardio routine combined with a strength training routine and Im sure that you would start to see some results if you stuck to it!
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx51jeeIeb1r81mtuo1_400.png
Hope this helps and feel free to ask me if you have any more healthy eating questions!! Good Luck!

I ran out of time to edit... I also really like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout. It's hard but the workouts are only like 28 minutes each including warm up and cool down. You'll see a difference in your muscle tone FAST.

Also... to keep track of your eating habits, try myfitnesspal. It has pretty much every food under the sun entered into it already. It gives you a healthy daily calorie goal and you input your food into it throughout the day. It keeps track of your macronutrients so you can see what you're getting too much or not enough of. It's a really good tool to help you adjust your eating and learn to make healthy choices for life instead of going on crash diets to lose weight.

I ran out of time to edit... I also really like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout. It's hard but the workouts are only like 28 minutes each including warm up and cool down. You'll see a difference in your muscle tone FAST.

Also... to keep track of your eating habits, try myfitnesspal. It has pretty much every food under the sun entered into it already. It gives you a healthy daily calorie goal and you input your food into it throughout the day. It keeps track of your macronutrients so you can see what you're getting too much or not enough of. It's a really good tool to help you adjust your eating and learn to make healthy choices for life instead of going on crash diets to lose weight.
I love Jillian Michael's Shred It with weights. I use a kettlebell with it and I swear it took me over 2 weeks until I could fully (barely) complete the Level 1 workout with a 10 lb kettlebell.
I have found the 3 small meals-3 snacks routine really works for me. I try not to eat anything processed. I also do a lot of protein smoothies.

I love Jillian Michael's Shred It with weights. I use a kettlebell with it and I swear it took me over 2 weeks until I could fully (barely) complete the Level 1 workout with a 10 lb kettlebell.
I have found the 3 small meals-3 snacks routine really works for me. I try not to eat anything processed. I also do a lot of protein smoothies.
I think I could eat smoothies every meal and never anything else and I would be a happy girl.

I just saw this on tumblr. Its what The Color Run company sends out to get ready for their 5K run. It looks like it starts out pretty slowly and you gradually work up to the longer runs. Good luck!
tumblr_mf44gyIo5S1s05fjlo1_500.jpg

These run/walk programs are awesome, you can go from barely being able to run 5 minutes to running a 10k in 3.5 months.

Though I've never used a specific program, I've definitely seen a difference in my running when I just attempt to run. You can't expect to start off right away and do a mile the first time out, you have to work up to it. If you just keep trying, you'll def get a lot better at it. Note that I'm not running full speed, I'm jogging, but the more you do it, the more you'll find you'll be able to run. I'm up to jogging about 3-4 miles at a time now which is awesome considering I was always the slowest in my class doing the mile in high school PE. I could probably out run half of those kids now. :p

Though I've never used a specific program, I've definitely seen a difference in my running when I just attempt to run. You can't expect to start off right away and do a mile the first time out, you have to work up to it. If you just keep trying, you'll def get a lot better at it. Note that I'm not running full speed, I'm jogging, but the more you do it, the more you'll find you'll be able to run. I'm up to jogging about 3-4 miles at a time now which is awesome considering I was always the slowest in my class doing the mile in high school PE. I could probably out run half of those kids now. :p
I used to do cross country running in high school, I sprained my ankle badly last spring so i hadn't been running in over a year when i started up again. It felt awesome to finish my first 10k race this november with a 56:00 time :)

Have you tried Clean Eating? You could google it & get much better information about it than I can give you. It basically tells us how our bodies aren't able to handle all of these processed ingredients in what we're eating daily. It's a lot of fruit, vegetables, and lean proteins. It also says to avoid intaking anything with more than 10 ingredients in them, especially if you don't understand it.

Have you tried Clean Eating? You could google it & get much better information about it than I can give you. It basically tells us how our bodies aren't able to handle all of these processed ingredients in what we're eating daily. It's a lot of fruit, vegetables, and lean proteins. It also says to avoid intaking anything with more than 10 ingredients in them, especially if you don't understand it.
There is a ton of information available on blogs, food substitutions etc

Back