Heartbroken

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Another angle on this:

If she has won NCA, UCA, Cheersport, Worlds, etc. she may not feel as though she has anything else to accomplish in her last year and just wants to focus on friends/school/etc.

We see that even with YOUNGER athletes who are 12 and have already done the above. They just don't feel like there is anything else left to do. (Ex: Some kids on Y5 teams.)

@oncecoolcoachnowmom, I definitely agree with everything you eloquently said and more, my daughter quit AS Cheer this year, she is going to 8th grade and wants to focus on school and dancing...Tbh, My daughter came to me last year(7th), telling me, she wanted to focus on school and dance...She wants to go to a performance arts hs and AS cheer consumed too much of her time and efforts...I convinced her to stay in AS Cheer 1 more year, but she spent last year unhappy and not enjoying her time cheering, even though her team won national competitions and more jackets ..So, this year I told her to pursue whatever she wants and I will support her...
@lprice722, just be happy for your daughter and trust that you prepared her well to not allow a boy to tarnish her future...Matter of fact, why not sit down and talk to your daughter about her future and what she wants to accomplish...

PS: Btw, I have to thank AS Cheer for allowing me that opportunity to really get close to my daughter (the long car rides and flights to competitions) I had deep conversations with her and learned, she is capable of making important decisions about her life...

Last edited:
Thanks for all your opinions and input. I really am trying to back off and let her make her own decision. I'm just don't want to see her regret it long term. I'm supporting her decision either way. It's was just shocking the way it so quickly can about. Your encouraging words are appreciated:)

My daughter's been cheering all-star 9 years and school cheer since 7th grade not to mention all the Pop Warner previously to that. She has been at a gym that has been fortunate enough to win multiple national and state championships including NCA and Cheersport. At the beginning of tryouts/evals last week she told me she didn't want to cheer all stars anymore. The only reasoning she would give me is it isn't fun anymore. I don't understand and this really saddened me. Should I let her be and just cheer school (she's been on varsity since 9th grade) and is now a senior or should I encourage her to continue all stars.
Sometimes when people feel pressured they may not want to any more and All-stars is a handful. Also if she is going to be a senior she may feel really pressured: What is she going to do with her life, What about grades, and she may want to focus on something else for once.

Thanks for all your opinions and input. I really am trying to back off and let her make her own decision. I'm just don't want to see her regret it long term. I'm supporting her decision either way. It's was just shocking the way it so quickly can about. Your encouraging words are appreciated:)
My best friend has been on two very well known worlds teams from two different very well known gyms. She decided to quit all star her sophomore year of high school. It came as shock to her parents because it seemed like a quick, almost impulsive decision to them, when in reality it wasn't. It was something she had been talking to me and our school cheer coach about for almost a year before making the actual decision. I'd say that given your cp's background it's probably safe to bet that this wasn't a quick or easy decision. It's something she may very well have been thinking about for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best friend has been on two very well known worlds teams from two different very well known gyms. She decided to quit all star her sophomore year of high school. It came as shock to her parents because it seemed like a quick, almost impulsive decision to them, when in reality it wasn't. It was something she had been talking to me and our school cheer coach about for almost a year before making the actual decision. I'd say that given your cp's background it's probably safe to bet that this wasn't a quick or easy decision. It's something she may very well have been thinking about for some time.

This^^^^ normally it is never just a rash decision when they have been doing it for that long.

**well now, this could be interesting**

YEP.

In the "quitting pageants" scenario I posted about, this kid had been telling all her friends that she didn't want to do them anymore. Parents are at times the last to know, especially if the parent is heavily invested in the child's participation and the child doesn't feel like they can be honest with them. Ex: If you know your mom is Suzy's Mom and is going to blow a gasket if you mention quitting cheer/pageants/soccer, you're not going to bring it up.

YEP.

In the "quitting pageants" scenario I posted about, this kid had been telling all her friends that she didn't want to do them anymore. Parents are at times the last to know, especially if the parent is heavily invested in the child's participation and the child doesn't feel like they can be honest with them. Ex: If you know your mom is Suzy's Mom and is going to blow a gasket if you mention quitting cheer/pageants/soccer, you're not going to bring it up.
Pageants aren't really a thing around here, but I remember DH's cousin visiting for the holidays and pageants were akin to church to them. DH's cousin in-law forced her tween daughter to do her entire pageant routine for all of the relatives who she barely knew, with mom "marking" the entire routine with her, and there were a bunch of kids her age that were just like :confused::eek: watching them. The poor girl was mortified, and later that day told my kids that she didn't like doing pageants anymore but her mother wouldn't let her stop. Mom came around a couple of years later, but it was definitely one of those examples where the kid was ready to stop before mom was. I don't think the OP of this thread is that way, because from her posts I feel like she is genuinely concerned for her CP's best interests.

Pageants aren't really a thing around here, but I remember DH's cousin visiting for the holidays and pageants were akin to church to them. DH's cousin in-law forced her tween daughter to do her entire pageant routine for all of the relatives who she barely knew, with mom "marking" the entire routine with her, and there were a bunch of kids her age that were just like :confused::eek: watching them. The poor girl was mortified, and later that day told my kids that she didn't like doing pageants anymore but her mother wouldn't let her stop. Mom came around a couple of years later, but it was definitely one of those examples where the kid was ready to stop before mom was. I don't think the OP of this thread is that way, because from her posts I feel like she is genuinely concerned for her CP's best interests.

Oh, no I don't think the OP is that way, either. I was just saying that at times, you are the last to know that your kid is ready to be done with something.

Pageants aren't HUGE here either, though they definitely exist and kids do them (my godchildren did natural pageants very briefly.) I think that was part of this particular kid wanting to quit as well. It's just not something a lot of kids at her school did. That, and it had just been going on for so long and honestly, how many Ultimate Grand Supremes can you win before you're just done?

My daughter did the same thing this year. She had done all star cheer since she was 4 and on tiny. She is 12 now. She made middle school cheer. Her gymn had also won numerous national championships and also competed at the Summit the past two years. Like you I was also heartbroken. But I then sat back and began to think. When they do all star cheer there are no breaks. We sacrifice alot but the girls do as well. She might just be burned out. I would let her sit out a season and revisit the idea when tryouts come back around next year.

Back