College Help!!!! College Coaches!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Hey College Coaches,

Can you please tell me what you are looking for most? I have a lot of athletes who want to cheer in college. They are allstar raised kids who can't decide if high school cheer will benefit them. So would you rather have an allstar athlete who can throw handspring whip full but has never lead a crowd. A High School Cheerleader, who has clean level 5 skills but really understands game performance and crowd leading? Or a combination of both, like maybe a kid who has done allstar for 5 years and then did high school cheer for a couple of years?

Thanks!!! :)

Not a college coach but I have done privates with kids trying out for college.

Generally speaking, colleges are interested in well-rounded kids who can lead the crowd yet also have solid skills.

Ex: A girl with a clean whip to a layout and solid stunts might make it over a L5 kid with whips to arabians to double if the cleaner lower-level tumbler has more solid gameday skills.

As a college coach for CBU, the back 2 back NCA Champs (shameless plug), I'm honestly not turning down either one of those athletes, both would be used on my team, and I'm assuming on 95% of the teams in college cheer (assuming the rest of their skills are comparable to their tumbling, not talking about a gymnastic who has never cheered before).

However, to answer the question I think you're asking. I would rather teach the pure allstar athlete how to lead the crowd, which is pretty intuitive, especially being with others on the team who already grasp the idea, than teach the game day athlete how to do whatever the new combo might be.

However, most schools who compete will be considering both athletes on their team. The only schools that really might not are our super elite schools (possibly UL or UK) where they have the luxury of turning down multiple level 5 athletes, or schools where the primarily focus is on crowd leading (I know of OU cutting girls with standing fulls because they didn't fit the look).

Hope this helps

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back