Help For A New Flyer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Actually, this video is closer to what it feels like on a paint can, since you wobble around a bit but don't spin

you can also but one of those squishy discs (looks like a skittle with texture) that are used in pilates for more of a challenge you can get them anywhere that sells yoga mats my daughter uses one in cross training and its also perfect for stunting practice! It makes you pull all your weight and tighten your core to stay on it...again be close to a wall for stabilization at first so you dont roll your ankle

Our Tumbling Coach told us to buy a Pool Noodle, cut them to the size of the girls foot then cut in half. She stands on the arched part. I would think a paint can would open your daughter up to a good chance at breaking her ankle if she fell off of it.

Also, things like tricep dips would help b/c flyers need to know how to hold their weight in their arms and really give the bases something to lift!

I used to dangle between the sofas when I was a kid b/c I was learning to use my abs and keep my weight in my arms!

I used to use a small ottoman in my living room (still do actually!) because since it's soft it feels more like your standing on hands and forces you to control your ankle more! Hope that helps!

Also, things like tricep dips would help b/c flyers need to know how to hold their weight in their arms and really give the bases something to lift!

I used to dangle between the sofas when I was a kid b/c I was learning to use my abs and keep my weight in my arms!

This is huge. More flyers need to do something like this.

The Cheerleading Stunt Stand is really helpful, I do believe someone already posted it above, but I love it!
Sometimes soup cans and paint cans are good for holding your own weight and staying balanced.
And of course, the infamous wobble board.
Also as soon as she is on a team Level 2 and higher, they will start doing baskets, and a trampoline is a great place to practice any kind of baskets from a straight ride to a kick switch full! :)

haha you don't even need a paint can, just a wall to do wall stretches and her to stretch her splits a lot and keep pulling her skills on the ground. Try having her hold her skills on steady ground for a minute, then have her try it for two minute then so on. it helps strengthen her calf muscles and feel comfortable holding her skills

I agree on the pain can. And definitely have her stretch every day while she's watching TV, doing homework, anything.
Dude - she's only just started flying! Why would you try to make her move on to the pain can? ADVANCED COACHING DRILL RIGHT THERE!!!

CP's coach recommended getting a block of wood like a 2x4 cut down to fit the length of her foot. Let her practice standing on it and as she gains balance she can start to pull her heel stretch, scorpion, or bow and arrow. CP has several in all different areas of the house. Good Luck!

Question for experienced flyers: My CP is working on her full down. Her coach says her upper body is solid, but her legs are loose and all over the place Is this because she's not squeezing her core enough or something else? If she squeezes her butt and stomach muscles will that help keep her legs together? Any ideas on how she can fix this? (She is very flexible, but has always struggled with strength.)

CP's coach recommended getting a block of wood like a 2x4 cut down to fit the length of her foot. Let her practice standing on it and as she gains balance she can start to pull her heel stretch, scorpion, or bow and arrow. CP has several in all different areas of the house. Good Luck!

Question for experienced flyers: My CP is working on her full down. Her coach says her upper body is solid, but her legs are loose and all over the place Is this because she's not squeezing her core enough or something else? If she squeezes her butt and stomach muscles will that help keep her legs together? Any ideas on how she can fix this? (She is very flexible, but has always struggled with strength.)
When I do them, I think about squeezing every ounce of my body into a board. I may even squeeze my eyes shut. It's hard to think to squeeze both your abs and your legs. It's so much easier just to tense every muscle in your body.

Make sure she is squeezing her ankles tight and not just her abs and butt!

Make sure she is squeezing her ankles tight and not just her abs and butt!

Yep, I was going to say this - if her upper body is tight, focus on the ankles. Ankles together and usually everything else follows (although I have seen weird cases where kids will put their feet together and have their knees splayed so they look like a crazy, spinning frog in the air - but those cases are very strange, lol - and if that happens, then tell her knees *and* ankles together, ;) ).

Our Tumbling Coach told us to buy a Pool Noodle, cut them to the size of the girls foot then cut in half. She stands on the arched part. I would think a paint can would open your daughter up to a good chance at breaking her ankle if she fell off of it.
That's a great idea! I actually had someone suggest a soup can to me this past week, but I had the same concern! The pool noodle is an awesome alternative. I have two in my garage right now...

On an earlier thread related to flying someone recommended the MaeFlyer. My daughter is a new flyer and I wanted to try it for her. It's been really great for balance and pulling body positions on one leg. I brought it to the gym and her coach was impressed with it as well. Here is the link:
MaeFlyer

Back