All-Star Help! I Hate Doing Cheer Hair!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

oldfaithful

Cheer Parent
Apr 25, 2017
We don't like the look or price of the ponytail extensions, but I am not good at ALL at teasing a high ponytail. My daughter is very tender-headed, so it make it more difficult. I hate to damage her hair as well. Are there any tricks to releasing a good tease or creating a "fake" tease? I need some tricks of the trade!

We don't like the look or price of the ponytail extensions, but I am not good at ALL at teasing a high ponytail. My daughter is very tender-headed, so it make it more difficult. I hate to damage her hair as well. Are there any tricks to releasing a good tease or creating a "fake" tease? I need some tricks of the trade!

I had a friend tease just the underneath of the hair and roll it then pin it. She didn’t have to tease the whole hair and it boosted up the remaining hair to look like the whole thing was teased. You can even roll it in a toilet paper roll to give it more height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was even considered making a bump-it type thing out of velcro and "sewing it" into her ponytail holder to give it the illusion of teased. Most of the girls on the squad have a pinup pony, but I don't want to go that far right now.

I was even considered making a bump-it type thing out of velcro and "sewing it" into her ponytail holder to give it the illusion of teased. Most of the girls on the squad have a pinup pony, but I don't want to go that far right now.
When I was in cheer to get that teased look we would buy a hair dohnut depening on the size either cut it in half of quarters like a pizza. then take a section place by the pony pin it in, and then lay the hair over it. some would slightly tease it but it really did work. For big height by the biggest hair donut work out how much of the donut you want want then cut it.

These are also an option, relatively easy and a fraction of the cost of a POSH. A couple of my girls wore them and looked great.

http://cheerleaderhairpieces.com/

CP wears the 12in flip from this site. I got it for her last year for about $30 and we put it in upside down so it looks curled under instead of flipped out. I pulled it out for showcase this weekend and it was still in great shape. CP likes it because what I do is put her hair in a high ponytail, make a bun (the thicker the bun the higher it looks teased) and then clip this in. It has combs and a bungee cord to hold into place, her bow hides the slide for the bungee cord, and then we put a couple of Bobby pins in the piece to secure it better to her bun. A couple of other kids on her team have ones from this site as well.

These are also an option, relatively easy and a fraction of the cost of a POSH. A couple of my girls wore them and looked great.

http://cheerleaderhairpieces.com/
This isn't a full bun cover though right? That's why it's a fraction of the cost, because it is a fraction of the size? I'm asking because I don't know. But based on what I read, it looks like it isn't. I also dread having to tease and damage hair. I wish we could all just agree not to have to go to these lengths and just do a simple pony!

I'd like to see pictures of video of using a bun donut...sounds like a good idea but how do you get it to stay?

The donut method worked great for us too but thankfully we are doing a smaller/sleeker ponytail this season ;) I hope to see more teams choosing the sleeker more natural pony tail look maybe the big ponies will become a ghost of All Star Cheer past... LOL...:splat:Bye Felicia!

We make real hair ponytails to match their hair color, cost about what a salon visit costs, sold on Facebook Shopify and Etsy. They are VERY SECURE, Made to fit a tight bun, no teasing her hair, clip out and be free after comp. takes 2 min to put in.
f960f8a60d0daa32dfc185450f1118d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just like a nice smooth ponytail. Our school comp team this season decided to do a braid in front with a bun. UGH! Last comp of the season 2 of the girls lost bows and buns fell on several of them. Let's just keep it simple. Give them a blingy bow if you want to add some wow factor.

This isn't a full bun cover though right? That's why it's a fraction of the cost, because it is a fraction of the size? I'm asking because I don't know. But based on what I read, it looks like it isn't. I also dread having to tease and damage hair. I wish we could all just agree not to have to go to these lengths and just do a simple pony!

That is exactly what our gym does. The owner says that she doesn't want the kids to look back at their cheer years and wonder what the heck were they wearing on their head for comps. LOL
All I need to purchase for my kiddo is elastic bands, Gorilla Snot, and cheap aerosol hairspray.

This covers my daughter’s bun. The piece has a hair clip on each side and a bungee cord to tighten it. I put CP’s hair in a bun, the place the piece over the bun, secure the bottom hair clip into the bun, secure the top one then tighten the cord so the piece is completely covering the bun and tuck the cord under the piece with the bun. I usually add a couple of bobby pins that I push through the piece and into the bun to make it extra secure.

No those are full pony tails aka bun covers the reason they are much cheaper is because these are synthetic whereas Posh ponies are human hair.

Back