All-Star Help! I Hate Doing Cheer Hair!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Secretly , or not so secretly, wishes for high pony, no tease. We use hairpieces for my daughter's hair-love our pinup-but seeing more and more gyms not allow them any longer makes me wonder when our gym will follow and still expect my daughter's mixed hair to be teased. Mmmm mmm not doing it. It takes literally years to grow her hair back and I'm not ruining it for anyone.

We use hair pieces color matched and ordered by the gym. At first I hated them but now I love them! 10 minutes and hair is done. No teasing. The bun makes the hair a good height.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Secretly , or not so secretly, wishes for high pony, no tease. We use hairpieces for my daughter's hair-love our pinup-but seeing more and more gyms not allow them any longer makes me wonder when our gym will follow and still expect my daughter's mixed hair to be teased. Mmmm mmm not doing it. It takes literally years to grow her hair back and I'm not ruining it for anyone.

I hadn't heard of gyms not allowing them any longer when they did in the past. Is it because there is a risk of it flying off during competition or is it just a move toward not as high of a tease? Just curious what you've seen!

I hadn't heard of gyms not allowing them any longer when they did in the past. Is it because there is a risk of it flying off during competition or is it just a move toward not as high of a tease? Just curious what you've seen!
Things I have heard are they don't like the way they look and they are afraid they will fall off. Our gym likes them but I have seen other parents comment that their gym says no. I don't know which gyms tho.

Interesting that these gyms don't want the hair pieces but still expect big teased out hair. And that they don't like the way they look but like the look of teased out big hair.

ETA: ok I'm sure I just repeated my self but you'll get me lol

Last edited:
We went to a competition at Wet N Wild one year. The water was so gross because everyone had just taken off their uniforms and put on swim suits so the water was full of glitter and hair spray. I stayed in the little kids section with my youngest daughter because the water was less sticky and less glittery then every place else. But when the park closed every sparkled because of all the glitter in the water.

So that’s why the park announced that the water park area would be closed at 2:00 Monday for a “seasonal cleaning!

I find it interesting that this season there's a lot of teams doing straight ponies with a rhinestone wrap or French braids, especially from gyms famous for pretty much inventing the giant fake hair trend.
I have noticed this too! If this became a trend, it would be life changing for my daughters who hate the torcher of the curlformers and the teasing. It's the only thing they hate about the sport. It sucks that when they should be sleeping and getting rest for comps, they are still up waiting for me to finish their curlformer heads. Sometimes they even say they don't get a goodnight's sleep because of the curlformers. With TWO girls I am not so sure about the investment in expensive hair pieces. I worry that the gym could ban them, have a change of heart and do straight hair with no tease...or worse yet, that they fall off and then I'm told I can't use them anymore. That's too much money down the drain...But then again, I see a lot of people successfully using them.

I am so happy our gym does the high straight pony with a genie clip.....it saves so much time

I am so glad to not to have to mess with curlformers this season. It takes a good 24 hours for CP’s hair to fully dry in those things. She’s gone through a lot of days looking like a LaLaLoopsy :).

I have noticed this too! If this became a trend, it would be life changing for my daughters who hate the torcher of the curlformers and the teasing. It's the only thing they hate about the sport. It sucks that when they should be sleeping and getting rest for comps, they are still up waiting for me to finish their curlformer heads. Sometimes they even say they don't get a goodnight's sleep because of the curlformers. With TWO girls I am not so sure about the investment in expensive hair pieces. I worry that the gym could ban them, have a change of heart and do straight hair with no tease...or worse yet, that they fall off and then I'm told I can't use them anymore. That's too much money down the drain...But then again, I see a lot of people successfully using them.
Advice on curlformers - if you have a bonnet for a hairdryer you can actually put them in that morning if not competing too early and then dry the hair with the bonnet on for about an hour. No sleeping in them and much easier. Once they get older, they curl their own hair or have a teammate do it if it needs to be curled. But I agree, give me a high slicked back pony any day.

My CP's gym doesn't want them at all. We had the most beautiful piece made a few years ago and it was extremely heavy. The weight of it teased and curled was just too much. My CP insisted it was too heavy when she tumbled. I think she was about 68 pounds and for her size it probably was heavy. I doubt this would be an issue with lower level tumbling but with level 4/5 they would have to adjust to it and mine didn't want to take the time for that.

I noticed only one or two gyms that still had the big teased out hair this weekend. Most did straight pony, no tease. There really weren’t even that many curled ponies.

I'm a Director and a coach, and since we didn't have any comps this weekend I watched Varsity Tv at home. I went to the gym on Sunday and told my Cohort, I was over the big tease. I don't mind a little bit (and I mean a little), since we went with tailless bows this season, but the nice straight slicked back ponies won me over this year.

I loved big cheer hair, now I don't mean the higher the hair the closer to God big, but I liked it teased, and I have two of my own I had to style every comp so I understood the parent struggle, but watching team after team from the comfort of my home, I was won over. It just looked cleaner to me if you know what I mean. less distracting more athletic and "pretty".

I like the "less is more version" of the tease most teams seem to be doing. My only issue with them outlawing the ponies completely is them still asking for stick straight hair. My daughters will NOT stay straight. It is very kinky curly and ridiculous thick. The fake pony is the only way to achieve the look they want. So if they outlaw the ponies completely, then allow the girls to wear their hair with the natural texture they were born with please. So far we are allowed to wear them, and I brushed out the tease and its fine. But if they get rid of them totally we will be out if they still require stick straight hair. I cannot achieve it and its so damaging to even try.

Back