Help! My Nephew Is A 1st Time Cheerleader!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2017
Let me start by saying how proud I am of my nephew for trying something new. We've had a rough couple of months, his papaw who was also his legal guardian passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. So we are hoping this will be a positive experience for him. I have next to no cheerleading experience (2 years in elementary school). He is 10 years old and the only boy in the entire league, and to our knowledge the first ever. His coach is at a loss as to if he should be doing anything differently than the rest of the team. We have ordered him a megaphone to use. We are looking for any advice, tips, or encouragment. We live in a "football community". His last year football coaches are less than enthusiastic with his decision, and we've been told "when he gets bored with this he can come be the boys waterboy"!!!!!! We are in no way forcing him to cheer to make a statement. We are simply encouraging him to pursue what he wants, whatever that may be. And we do not want him to get discouraged by the lack of support from others in the league and quit. His teammates are very excited for him to cheer with them this year as are his family. Anything positive is welcome and desperately needed! Thanks in advance!!!!

Are there any all star gyms in your area??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. We actually just spoke to the coach there and they are going work with him this coming week. They are going to teach him lifts and cheers!!! We are super excited!!!

I'm keeping him and all your family in my prayers. I'm so excited for you all! If cheer ends up being his passion you will be broke but I think it's worth every penny. My nephew started at 9-10 years old and this sport has helped him become one of the best young men I know. He's the right amount of confident and humble and in fantastic physical shape. His work ethic is insane and there's NOTHING that could replace the relationships him, his Sister and my daughter have built over the past 13 years cheering together. Have a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm a bit late but... I've cheered for my middle school team and my high school team while I was cheering allstar at the same time. I quit school cheer cause I didn't like it. Maybe he should do allstar because atleast for me, I felt awkward cheering at games... even though there was an another guy on the team. lol
(This is coming from a 16 year old male)

I'm also a little late chiming in. The allstar gym is definitely a great place to start. It might also be a great idea to take him to a college game and let him see the male cheerleaders cheering during an actual game! Good luck!! There are some great scholarship opportunities for male cheerleaders.

Back