All-Star Help Needed For Decision - Should I Switch Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 10, 2017
Hey everybody,
I will explain the situation I have at my gym now. Last year we had two senior team level 6 & 5 (in germany you can only compete in these levels as as senior). I was on level 5, at our last competion we've been told that the level 6 coaches will stop coaching and that we're gonna be one team. We all were feared that we will lose our spots because we were too many girls. But our coaches said that we don't have to be scared and that we will stay the same. After the competion and a few practices together we became a checklist on who will make the team. Key points were attendance and moivation. I was always there ready to do my best and to motiviate others as well. Then a new rule came out, that seniors now can start in level 4 as well. And suddenly we were "all so motivated" (some were definitly not) and our coache said that we will have tow competive teams in level 4&5. I was placed in Level 4 with 14 other people, our new coaches never coached before and we barely have anyone with tumbling skills. Not even stunting wise, our pyramid doesn't have Level 4 skills yet. While level 5 has my old coaches, all of the old Level 6 girls, 25 people and all the tumblers. I know I'm not the best skill wise, but I also feel like I don't have progressed in three years. And now I'm going backwards. There are people in level 5 who have less skills like me.

I don't have a problem with level 4.
My problems are:
-unprofessionell Coaches
-just once a week practice
- a lot of team mates don't put effort in it and don't show up
- it feels like our old coaches lied to us

Now I also went to a try out at a other gym which is an 1h 30 drive. I was placed in a S5 Team, I got positiv feedback and I felt very great.
Other positive aspects:
-Own gym with spring floor and tumbling track
-open gym 3 times a week
-big name gym
-has been to worlds a few times
-great coaches that are well known

I honestly really wanna go there, but I don't want to backstab my teammates who feel like me. A lot of people told me that if I quit they are also gonna quit, but don't want to switch.
What should I do???

Last edited:
It sounds like you already know what you want to do. It's still early in the season, the longer you wait the more stress you will be putting on the team you are leaving. If you're going to make the switch, sooner rather than later would be best for the other team. And I wouldn't concern myself with other athletes leaving if you do, you shouldn't have to feel pressured to stay on a team. What happened to the fun?!
Bottom line though, if you're not happy with your current gym and it sounds like you haven't been for a while, and the other gym has more to offer a developing athlete, maybe you should change gyms.

You have to make the decision for you and only you. As much as cheerleading is a sport, it's also a business transaction...

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you feel you fit in and can put your heart in it?
A new gym challenge or rebuilding year with current team friends are both valid choices. Caring teammates, even if disappointed, will respect your decision either way.

@cheermomforever @JumpChannel @naaans Thanks for your advice! I really think it would be the best and make me the happiest when I would take the chance but I'm very afraid what to say my current coaches and I don't know what to say when they want to talk me out of it? Why I have do be an adult and can't let my mum handle this ughhh

@cheermomforever @JumpChannel @naaans Thanks for your advice! I really think it would be the best and make me the happiest when I would take the chance but I'm very afraid what to say my current coaches and I don't know what to say when they want to talk me out of it? Why I have do be an adult and can't let my mum handle this ughhh
Just be honest about how u feel that team dynamic is....u do your part and leave the right way. Yes your coach may make u feel bad, but in the long run U will be happy!

I would bring the entire list you laid out for all the strangers here on FB to your coaches. Let them know your concerns and why you're strongly leaning towards making that decision. If they can't make the changes you want to see then you know you made the right decision for yourself.

The best thing to do in any situation like this is candid, open and direct communication. Go only to the people that can help you solve your problem. If they can't handle a mature and respectful conversation about the topics at hand then that is another reason to help make your choice.

As a mom who just recently pulled my daughter out of a gym to put her in a different one (she's only 10 by the way, so I got to have that conversation for her)...

We switched gyms because of many factors:
Billing was erratic
Fundraising wasn't really an option for the younger squads
They put all the effort into the older squads and left the other kids hanging
The owner was absent - a lot - and wasn't around to ever ask questions to
Major lack of communication
Favoritism on the squad
Singling out kids who hadn't gotten a skill yet
Coaches who weren't skilled at coaching kids, they may have been excellent in the skills themselves but teaching was not one of their strong suits - they did a lot of yelling
For the last few months there it was a fight to get my daughter out of the house to even go to practice
It wasn't fun for her anymore

With all that said, there were also other factors that just aren't at the top of the list - at any rate, I went straight to the director and explained all those reasons. Being honest with your feelings is the best option. At that point our decision had already been made and there was no talking us into staying no matter what she said, which she did try to. We didn't want to leave on bad terms, and the conversation was ok, and honestly I hope they take the feedback and make improvements for the rest of the gym. If you strongly believe it's not the right fit for you, that's all you need to say.

Just remember, anywhere you go there's going to be something that annoys you, but hopefully the positive will outweigh the negative, and if you really feel compelled to leave the gym, make sure it's your decision and not someone influencing your thought. The last thing you'd want is to leave because someone else said you should and then be miserable in the new gym too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should talk to the coaches about your concerns and how you feel about some teammates that might be not all in it. Maybe some people on your team my not be happy with being on lvl 4. And that's how they're showing it. Also remember that you shouldn't hold the burden or guilt if others follow you. It their decision to leave even if it's only because you left first. Do what will make you and the rest of your season happy.

Back