Help Putting Together A Routine? Don't Know How?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2012
Hi everyone! So this year on our rec team my coach wants some of us to make routines w/ music to preform at half-time!
I already have a cheer mix made, but need help creating the routine itself. I've never created a routine, so i'm not sure what i should do first, or if theres any secrets to it?
So if you're wondering, the routine 2:12 long (since the cheer mix is that long), and we need Stunts, Jumps, Tumbling, and Dance!

I'm not sure how to go about this. How do you figure out where each person goes? How do you figure out when everything goes (ex; the order of the preformance)

Thanks SO much in advanced! I already figured out the stunt sequence/pyramid part, but thats it!

I usually start by making a list of all the skills my team has, and then I go from there. For example, last year I only had a few tumblers on my middle school team, so there wasn't a huge part of the routine dedicated to it. Instead, we did more stunting. From listening to your mix, I would end the routine with a dance. Hope that helps a little!

I usually start by making a list of all the skills my team has, and then I go from there. For example, last year I only had a few tumblers on my middle school team, so there wasn't a huge part of the routine dedicated to it. Instead, we did more stunting. From listening to your mix, I would end the routine with a dance. Hope that helps a little!
Oh thats a good idea!
We're not very strong in tumbling. I'm the one with the most skills. Most all of them have a cartwheel, a couple with round offs. I have my back walkover, front walkover and bhs, but i'd rather not have lets say a tumbling section, but me doing most of it, so good idea!!
And i'm thinking about ending the routine with the dance, or pyramid part... hmm...
Thanks!!

One thing that always helps me is going on youtube or something and searching for routines similar to the one I'm trying to create. Like you could search "Halftime routine" and see what other teams do. A little inspiration goes a long way :)

One thing that always helps me is going on youtube or something and searching for routines similar to the one I'm trying to create. Like you could search "Halftime routine" and see what other teams do. A little inspiration goes a long way :)
Yeah! I've been trying to do that. I also look up Senior (since we're a senior team) level 1 cheer routines, and sometimes level 2, and look at their stunts.

Since this is just a half time routine, you do not need any tubmling.....lots of dancing, tight motions and very simple stunting, elevators and extensions and a simple pryamid

I usually start with stunts. A good rule is that you never want to have anyone running too far to get to their spot. Because you don't really have a center to cross, I would say it shouldn't take anyone more than 4 counts. This means everyone's sport needs to be relatively close to their stunts. I would go in this order
Opening
Stunts
Jumps/Motions
Tumbling
Pyramid
Dance

Halftime routines don't have to be as smashing as a comp routine, so it's ok to keep it simple.

We usually do a chant three times. The first time with the motions, the second moving to a stunt/starting a stunt (usually single stunts), and the third time we just hold the stunt then cradle out. I guess we are lame. After the routine we play the cha cha slide or something like it and have the other teams/ other fans come out and dance on the field. If we are feeling ambitious this year I might teach them the high school fight song (we share a mascot and colors) with the teens and have them do that.

Back