All-Star Help Untangling Teased / Matted Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
I am starting a new thread instead of adding on to a very old one. Any great tips / advice for untangling severely teased, matted, and tangled hair! Thanks

Do not try to brush it or take out the pony tail before getting in the shower. Get in the shower and add a generous amount of conditioner to the pony tail. Work it through the teased/ matted hair to start releasing it, then clip the ponytail holders out with a small pair of scissors. Let the conditioner sit a few minutes, then comb with a wide tooth comb before rinsing the conditioner out and washing as normal.

Best thing I ever did for my kid's hair was buying a pre teased ponytail.

No hair pieces are allowed. What if the bow is attached to the pony tail? Is there a specific conditioner you recommend?

It really depends on the texture of your CP's hair. For us what worked best was to work from the bottom up with a detangling brush and spray conditioner / kids detangling spray to deflate the pony as much as possible. Then we removed the bow and other pony tail holders and she showered with lots of conditioner and a wet brush to finish getting the tangles out.

No hair pieces are allowed. What if the bow is attached to the pony tail? Is there a specific conditioner you recommend?
No hair pieces allowed, but they want you to tease??? I would definitely have a problem with that. Why in the world? Teasing ruins hair plain and simple. there should be an alternative.

As to the bow, we just squashed down her hair and took it off, but you can do the trick where you loop a second pony trough the one on the bow and wrap it around the bow. Its easier to get out and the way we do it with the hairpiece.

I could be wrong, but think they had hair pieces fall out on the mat during competitions. For that reason no longer allowed.

I like the rubber band bow trick you mentioned.

We used to use spray conditioner - then shower w lots of conditioner.

As a side note-- If people are going to use hairpieces they need to use good ones so they don't fall out [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but think they had hair pieces fall out on the mat during competitions. For that reason no longer allowed.

I like the rubber band bow trick you mentioned.
If you at all know what you are doing, they shouldn't come out. Sounds like people tried to just slap on something they got at Sallys an didn't secure it. I would definitely asked about using a hairpiece that is sewn in.

Definitely use a good spay-in conditioner before showering or attempting to brush. It'll help to break down the hair products before you wash it. Also use a wide-tooth combing in the shower to work the conditioner through. Use a shampoo and conditioner for dry hair. It'll have extra moisturizers in it.

I would cut out the ponytail holder, and then leave my hair for two days after comp. A lot of the tease relaxes out, and you can slowly (and gently) pull apart your hair over those two days. Then lots of conditioner, coconut oil, and a tangler teezer brush All Tangle Teezer Brushes | Tangle Teezer

My daughter's team doesn't tease their hair on a regular basis but did for the final comp last year. Her hair was in bad shape just after that one comp. I like the look but am not happy with the end result. A hair piece would certainly be something to look into.

My daughter is a hairdresser and never crazy teases her hair except for Worlds due to the problem of damaging her hair. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't tease my daughter's hair, because of the texture of it, but her regular hair gets insanely tangled and matted (it's to her waist and super curly). I use argan oil in her hair to help tame it. Also, the best way to get out massive tangles is to have her get in the shower, put a TON of conditioner in it and use a Wet Brush while the conditioner is still in her hair. Always start at the bottom. Good luck!

Back