All-Star Help Untangling Teased / Matted Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I was younger, we did the conditioner in and brush that way on a regular basis bc my hair is so curly and will get super tangled. But when we did super tease for comps, I would go bananas with volume powder, hair spray and tease so my hair would be a complete mess. To get it out I would gently brush it, dry, with a tangle teezer, as wet hair is more fragile and will brake more easily, til I could remove the bow, and if i could any of the hair ties, or I'd just cut the rest of them out. Then I'd get in the shower and really rub my hair with shampoo, as it was more all the product holding the tease than anything else. Then I'd drench my hair in deep conditioner, throw it up in a top knot, but a plastic bag over it and sleep in it. The next morning when i washed it out it barely had any tease left at all, it was just a few tangles which I got out like I normally would, with a tangle teezer made for wet hair, then threw in a bunch of maroccan oil. :)

Does anyone recommend a specific spray conditioner / conditioner?

It's a little pricey but I used to use (and I still use it now after I wash my hair) Pravana Nevo Intense Therapy Leave-In Treatment. It's about 20 dollars a pop but I have super fine hair that already tangles extremely easily and this is the only stuff that really did the job for me. You can definitely find it at Ulta, but I'm not sure where else it is sold.

I teased CP's hair last year. We would work the bow out and then cut out the pony tail. I would have her wash her hair a couple of times with shampoo to get all the product out then I used a deep conditioner on her hair and would have her leave it in for an hour or two before rinsing. Her hair is a nightmare to comb on a normal day, after a competition it was so much worst. I invested in a hairpiece this year, it's the best money I've ever spent!

We used to use spray conditioner - then shower w lots of conditioner.

As a side note-- If people are going to use hairpieces they need to use good ones so they don't fall out [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy nice and inexpensive hairpieces and they can look just as good as the $200 ones for sure. It isn't the quality it is how you put it in and how you style it and care for it. I prefer sewing it in and I go around multiple times. Others zip tie which can work as long as you get the zip tie in the right way. But bobby pins and hair screws are not 100% secure for what these kids do.

When we switched to a gym that required tease I started with the fake hair.... and it is "sew" much better (pun intended).

64ce9637efd9dd155d434e72825ecbcf.png

This is what we use and it works really well, smells so good also!!

As to the bow, we just squashed down her hair and took it off, but you can do the trick where you loop a second pony trough the one on the bow and wrap it around the bow. Its easier to get out and the way we do it with the hairpiece.

I'm super intrigued about this idea of a second pony I just can't picture it and I've never seen it done.

Cp loves this stuff and uses it on a daily basis. I just wish it cost a little less!

I have a matrix leave in conditioner with keratin and it gives me similar results that it's a 10 did. I think the matrix is 16? Full price but often goes on sale at ulta and you can use coupons

Wet brushes are great! I condition first to get a few tangles out and then shampoo and condition as normal. I have very long and fine hair but it's pretty easy to brush it because I have a great hairbrush!

i would think that any lubricant that is good/neutral on the hair would help. i would try baby oil on a small patch to see how well the entangled hair reacted to it upon brushing. (never tried this myself... just guessing).

Reactions: MEH
RYH has recommended to put leave in conditioner in your hair before adding product (teasing powder, hairspray, etc.) When it's time to wash your hair the product just slides right of the hair.

Back