All-Star ? Help With Flying Position

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
What is the name of the flying position were the flyer does a bow and arrow, but does not use her hands? She just holds the leg by her ear with her leg strength. Also, what are exercises or drills to help get this skill? My CP is very flexible and has a great bow and arrow, but is not even close to doing it without using her hands to keep it up there.
Thanks

It's called a free stretch! I'm not a flyer so I couldn't tell you stretches. I think it's more about strength than flexibility though. It takes a lot of leg muscle and body control to hold your leg out like that.

What is the name of the flying position were the flyer does a bow and arrow, but does not use her hands? She just holds the leg by her ear with her leg strength. Also, what are exercises or drills to help get this skill? My CP is very flexible and has a great bow and arrow, but is not even close to doing it without using her hands to keep it up there.
Thanks
I can only hold it for a few seconds, but just have her try to hold it as long as she can and then just keep trying. Also, make sure shes squeezing her abs and her leg as tight as she can. Be careful though because i got major cramps in my leg b/c of this!!

Look up strengthening exercises for her hip flexors! They're a hard muscle to target and the exercises are really hard IMO haha but they will also improve her jumps a lot and make her strong enough for a free stretch. Make sure she works out both legs!

I learned how to do them from a dancer friend. Look at developpé exercises. What helped me the most was rolling my hips under (like you'd do in a toe touch) and squeezing my right glute for dear life. Thank goodness it was only choreographed for a few counts because they are hardddd to hold!!

Sit on the floor in a straddle. Lift one leg up a few inches off of the floor and rotate it in small circles with your hands in the middle of your legs touching the floor. Do the other leg after, then do both at the same time.

These are KILLER. Even after doing like 2 circles you will want to cut your legs off. But they work your hip flexors like no other!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It's called a free stretch! I'm not a flyer so I couldn't tell you stretches. I think it's more about strength than flexibility though. It takes a lot of leg muscle and body control to hold your leg out like that.

I agree. My CP is very flexible, but not even close to having a free stretch. She needs drills/exercises to build up her muscle strength to get this skill. Thanks! :)

During the summer , I had my flyers (minis) do lots of leg lifts in circles (like one user said) even has them do bow n arrows with ankle weights then they would let go for the free stretch, and had them do their exercises with the ankle weights and over time (by choreo time) all 5 of them got it!

During the summer , I had my flyers (minis) do lots of leg lifts in circles (like one user said) even has them do bow n arrows with ankle weights then they would let go for the free stretch, and had them do their exercises with the ankle weights and over time (by choreo time) all 5 of them got it!

That is so cool you had a team of minis doing free stretches! Do you have a picture!

How often did they do these exercises? How many reps. and for how long (how much time was spent on conditioning for this skill)?

That is so cool you had a team of minis doing free stretches! Do you have a picture!

How often did they do these exercises? How many reps. and for how long (how much time was spent on conditioning for this skill)?

Yea , I'll look for one :)

I made them do 5-10 circles each leg and then both legs, I'll have them sit behind a Matt strip , and they have to hold the Matt strip the whole time while doing it, and then have them use ankle weights while doing it, then they have the ankle weights on while pulling the bow n arrow and doing the free stretch holding it for 10 secs and they have to slowly put the leg down , I'll count down 5,6,7,8 and they have to slowly lower their leg . Hope that makes sense lol

Yea , I'll look for one :)

I made them do 5-10 circles each leg and then both legs, I'll have them sit behind a Matt strip , and they have to hold the Matt strip the whole time while doing it, and then have them use ankle weights while doing it, then they have the ankle weights on while pulling the bow n arrow and doing the free stretch holding it for 10 secs and they have to slowly put the leg down , I'll count down 5,6,7,8 and they have to slowly lower their leg . Hope that makes sense lol

Very helpful! Thanks you! How many times a week did they do this? How heavy were the weights? Thanks again!

Very helpful! Thanks you! How many times a week did they do this? How heavy were the weights? Thanks again!

They practices twice a week, make them do it even though their not perfect so they develop the strength to do it, if they keep falling in the air make them do it on the floor, the weights were like 5lbs, I would even hold their foot up for them but very lightly like with a finger so their still using their strength but still getting support to keep it up nice and high, each team/ athlete is different, this worked for us, hope this help and good luck, maybe take pics of before and after ;) and I'm still searching for a team pic lol

Latest posts

Back