OT Help With Hairdying!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
so i made a very bold decision and decided i wanted to dye my hair red (i am naturally blonde) I got nervous the first time and kinda chickened. we got "light auburn" and it kinda turned out pink. so we decided if I was going to go red, I had to go red all the way. we went to sally's then and got ion hair dye. we got 2 different colors, dark red blonde and light red brown. it was reallllly dark when i first rinsed it out, which i was prepared for. then it started to fade, and i liked it at first, it was red like i wanted. but now, pretty much all the red has faded, and its pretty much all brown, which is NOT what I want. i want to be a ginger lol any suggestion on how to get the red to stay? it only stayed in my roots, and its just a matter of time before that fades too.... or a different color suggestion or something, any advice
would be helpful.

oh and ps, i dyed it twice in one week.... i know, not smart. but now don't know how long to wait to fix it...

peace love and happy cheering

showstopper

red dye is hard to get to stay completely, but my hair alwaaysss turns orangey. i dyed my hair auburn in 7th grade and four years later it still has a red-orange tint.

it just takes a lot of maintenance.

good luck!

I have naturally brunette hair, but I had grown out highlights that I needed to get rid of and I wanted DARK brown hair, and I loved the dye I used. Pretty sure it was from Garnier (sp?). Obviously it's a different color, but maybe its the brand?

Nothing much to add except I think you look gorgeous as a ging! Maybe it's worth going to a salon to get it done? I'm a student too and can't afford a proper hairdresser :( so I go to the local beauty school and it costs a lot less. Takes a while because they have to be supervised and checked on every strand they cut/dye, but you get a professional job at a quarter of the cost.

I think someone once told me that the 'red dye' molecules are larger, so they don't stay as well or something like that. I went bright red once and loved it..but it's a bit of maintenance. DEF use color protecting hair products, cold water (heat will strip your hair color), and..I know this sounds gross, but if you can avoid it don't wash your hair. Or at the very least, restrict your shampoo option to something REALLY gentle.

As for color staying at the roots best, usually this has to do with hair porosity. I'd take to google to learn more about it, as my knowledge is limited at best (I did hair tests because I'm a curly gal and I'm trying to figure out how to best take care of the locks).

Dry shampoo! Keeps your hair looking not disgusting for an extra day or two!

I think someone once told me that the 'red dye' molecules are larger, so they don't stay as well or something like that. I went bright red once and loved it..but it's a bit of maintenance. DEF use color protecting hair products, cold water (heat will strip your hair color), and..I know this sounds gross, but if you can avoid it don't wash your hair. Or at the very least, restrict your shampoo option to something REALLY gentle.

As for color staying at the roots best, usually this has to do with hair porosity. I'd take to google to learn more about it, as my knowledge is limited at best (I did hair tests because I'm a curly gal and I'm trying to figure out how to best take care of the locks).

yea i didnt think to look at color treatment for red hair before i dyed it lol i am going home this weekend for fall break and getting shampoo for color treated hair. my roomate wants to redye it next friday when i come back. that will be about 3 weeks since i first tried to dye it. is this a long enough break in between dyes? i'm really afraid my hair is going to fall out, but i really hate my hair right now, i didn't want brunette at all and we were hoping it would have just balanced out the red but instead its the only thing that held. we are going to use ion again but this time we're going to try for the intense reds instead. i do want to be a red head, just not an obnoxious one lol i just didn't realize it would be this hard...

[quote="BowCat, post: 435823"]Nothing much to add except I think you look gorgeous as a ging! Maybe it's worth going to a salon to get it done? I'm a student too and can't afford a proper hairdresser :( so I go to the local beauty school and it costs a lot less. Takes a while because they have to be supervised and checked on every strand they cut/dye, but you get a professional job at a quarter of the cost.[/quote]

haha thanks girl! i dont have the money to go to a salon unfortunately, but the dye from sally's is supposed to be really good, my hair just doesn't take well to dye.

ion makes a pre-color treatment spray that you can also get at sally's. it comes in a small purple bottle with an orange top. you just spray it on your hair & comb it through right before you start to dye. it equalizes the porosity of your hair so you end up with more even color from roots to tips. i used this the last time i dyed my hair myself and it worked out well. i went from a head full of grown out platinum blonde highlights to a medium chocolaty brown all over & i didn't have any issues with the color fading unevenly.

you might want to check out the clairol professionals hair color line at sally's too. i've used both the clairol professionals and ion color brilliance dyes on my hair and the ion color seems to wash out/fade a lot faster for some reason.

just reiterating what the other fiercers have said now...red is definitely a hard color to get to 'stick', but washing your hair in cold water & using shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair does help it last a little longer! for a while during my junior year of high school i had red streaks in my hair (professionally done...i'm talking vibrant, ronald mcdonald red lol) and they'd always fade to a chestnut/reddish brown shade in about 3 weeks.

good luck & hope you achieve the fierce red hair you're wanting!:)

yea i didnt think to look at color treatment for red hair before i dyed it lol i am going home this weekend for fall break and getting shampoo for color treated hair. my roomate wants to redye it next friday when i come back. that will be about 3 weeks since i first tried to dye it. is this a long enough break in between dyes? i'm really afraid my hair is going to fall out, but i really hate my hair right now, i didn't want brunette at all and we were hoping it would have just balanced out the red but instead its the only thing that held. we are going to use ion again but this time we're going to try for the intense reds instead. i do want to be a red head, just not an obnoxious one lol i just didn't realize it would be this hard...
your hair will be fine it's not going to fall out. since you got color from sallys i'm assuming you used a developer and whatnot...make sure you're using a 10 volume developer when you do this again to deposit color, and whatever level you used before, if you remember what is was i can help you lol, since you said you got a lighter color brown i'm assuming you used maybe an 8? PM me if you want some help! lol

so we've decided to go for round 3 afterall lol third times a charm? who knows. but she decided to get intense red and dark red blonde this time (both ion dyes) and i made sure to buy color treated shampoo ahead of time, i believe we went with john frieda's radiant red. so here's to hoping it works. unfortunately after doing my research i'm realizing just how hard it is going to be to maintain red hair :-/ i knew it would be hard, but it seems as if its going to be pretty pricey too. not so good for the poor college student. but hey, everyone has said they love it and it looks natural, so i'd say its a small price to pay!

so here's the finished product:
IMG_6200.jpg

quite a difference from my platinum blonde, but i like it :)

Rinse with cold water, and don't wash your hair everyday, skip a few days between washings.

Back