• Help With Mental Blocks •

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Imagine yourself doing it; through the motions, once you have it, and the work you want to do to get it. And once you are somewhere it is safe to do it (in the gym for example, with a coach/instructor). have them heavily spot, and over time maybe that day, maybe throughout longer have them start to lessen how much they spot.
Also, go for it. You can do it

I struggle with mental blocks big time, but I have a little trick that sometimes helps me break through.

So if I need to throw some running tumbles, instead of standing in the corner facing the way I'm gonna run, getting worked up, I'll walk away from the corner, breathe deep, jump up and down and try to shake it off almost. Then I will turn around, walk back to the starting corner, one deep breath, set and just go! I will do the same with standing. I'll walk away from the panel/space I want to throw it in, turn my back on it, shake-it off, then turn around, walk into the space, set and go.

A lot of the time this is enough to calm my brain, and engage my body. I wonder if this helps anyone else?

Imagine yourself doing it; through the motions, once you have it, and the work you want to do to get it. And once you are somewhere it is safe to do it (in the gym for example, with a coach/instructor). have them heavily spot, and over time maybe that day, maybe throughout longer have them start to lessen how much they spot.
Also, go for it. You can do it
I do this all the time. For me nothing works.. :/

sometimes i feel as though a mental block comes from over thinking a skill too much! the only times i've ever gotten hurt in cheer was when i thought hard about what i needed to do in the skill! i tell my Kids all the time, "Don't think, Just do it" if you've thrown the skill before especially, your muscle memory should take over from there! I'm not saying you should be completely unaware of what your body is doing while tumbling or stunting but, the stress that causes a mental block does come from your mind! I honestly believe this is why some guys pick up tumbling quicker! not because they have more strength than the girls (i know there are a few girls in our gym way stronger than the guys) but because guys tend to be very good at "NOT THINKING" Most guys see a back tuck and say, "I can do that!" then regardless of whether they can or not they throw it with out worry or fear! some may say this is dangerous or stupid on their part, but you have to admit that most guys do pick up tumbling very fast! one technique i use a lot while coaching if i see someone struggling is to start talking about something unrelated to cheer and tumbling completely!! WHILE STILL SPOTTING i'll ask how their day at school was, what their favorite food is, How ridiculous was Miley on the VMA's, etc. just something to take their mind of what they are doing! and pretty much every time their tumbling gets better as they loosen up and stop over-thinking!

I hope this helps! i know everyone is different when it comes to mental blocks but this really is something i've seen work very well! tumbling can be difficult but keep at it and don't stress! everything gets better with practice!

it helps me when ever a coach tells me I'm getting closer

p.s i tumble at a small gym so its more 1 on 1
you can do it;):shimmy::p:D:chestbump:

Have a vision board. Put your face on pictures that are doing the skills you no longer can do. Also Visually “practice” them... and imagine yourself hitting those skills.

Interrupt your pattern of what leads up to you not throwing the skill. So say you are standing there about to throw your tumbling, you are about to skip it. Instead of going throughout the pattern of not throwing that skill... do something to knock yourself out of that scared state of mind. Let out a scream saying something so off kilter like”Hot Damn! My knees feel great!” At this point you will interrupt the pattern your mind plays of being scared. You’d be too busy thinking, wtf did i just say!? Then just go and tumble before you start thinking about the reasons why you can throw that skill. Rinse and repeat. Keep doing this until your mind stops that pattern

Have a vision board. Put your face on pictures that are doing the skills you no longer can do. Also Visually “practice” them... and imagine yourself hitting those skills.

Interrupt your pattern of what leads up to you not throwing the skill. So say you are standing there about to throw your tumbling, you are about to skip it. Instead of going throughout the pattern of not throwing that skill... do something to knock yourself out of that scared state of mind. Let out a scream saying something so off kilter like”Hot Damn! My knees feel great!” At this point you will interrupt the pattern your mind plays of being scared. You’d be too busy thinking, wtf did i just say!? Then just go and tumble before you start thinking about the reasons why you can throw that skill. Rinse and repeat. Keep doing this until your mind stops that pattern

Interesting advice! However, this thread is 5 years old. It's usually frowned upon to comment on old threads. Welcome to the board. :)

CP has struggled with blocks on and off for years. Just going by what I have witnessed with her there is no quick fix. It takes a lot of dedication and mental training to break through. What has worked for her is a number of things 1. Alison Arnold program. It is work and does not happen overnight but I can say without a doubt I believe in it. CP is currently approximately 80 percent back to her pre block elite skills. She is working with Alison's workbook The Athlete Warrior: Advanced Mental Training for the Advanced Athlete" and a private coach on building her skills back up. 2. She builds a weekly ladder and has a list of skills she throws at least 4 times a week at the gym. These are skills that she is comfortable performing without blocking 10/10 times. Every week she builds on the ladder. CP had a double full and started her ladder with very basic skills ex. round offs. The first time she did this she was 9 years old and had a full, at first she was embarrassed to take such a step back but week by week her ladder advanced and she felt more and more confident. 3. Relieve the pressure. CP has been lucky enough to not get a ton of pressure from her coaches, the more you tell her to "just throw it" the more you can guarantee she never will. 4. Support from me, I learned very quickly my attitude towards it affects her. I love her and support her regardless of her skills. I've never come close to knowing what it feels like to execute a specialty to whip double but I know she wants my support. Just my 2 cents.

The way I coach through mental blocks is by using trigger words. So a kid is having an issue with connecting multiple skills I say “connect” as they are going into their next skill and I make them say it with me.
Eventually they focus more on what they are saying “out loud” rather than bailing on the skill.
So next time you are going for a tuck/BHS/Full... talk through the skill... example
BHS: dip, hip lock -stick (but it must me said OUT loud)
For a tuck: dip, hip, pull, stick
Etc etc...
it’s taking your focus away from the fear and putting emphasis on the “action” to get through the skill...

Back