OT helping a friend with anorexia

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
i need some advice on this-

i have a friend who had anorexia last year until her parents realized what was happening and put her in treatment. however, lately she has been talking about going back to anorexia because it made her "more focused and she liked how she looked." i want to help her before she goes back to it because she is a really close friend. but i don't know what to say or how to help her deal with what she's feeling. anyone else had to go through something like this? what worked? how can i let her know that anorexia is not the way to go?

thanks.

it sounds like although the treatment may have stopped the anorexia for a bit, it didn't actually help her.

anorexia is categorized as a mental disorder, so the treatment should have helped her to realize that it was wrong and that she is much better off being healthy and a normal weight. i would maybe try to remind her of stressful situations that resulted from her former disorder, and deffffinitely tell her parents.
maybe they can get her into treatment that prevents it from reoccurring.

good luck!

An outpatient treatment program would be the best way for her to go. If she's not currently suffering from the disease, there is no reason for inpatient. It's not something you can really talk someone out of doing. It is a disease, and so they have a hard time seeing reason for why what they're doing is wrong. It takes a very strong person to overcome anorexia, and sometimes one inpatient treatment isn't enough. They should have continued her through outpatient for a while before assimilating her back into regular eating. It becomes really hard for them to cope. There is always an underlying problem with anorexia, it's not JUST a crash diet. They need to get to the root of the problem. Maybe that is something you can do, but you should definitely go to her parents and let them know what she's thinking.

PM me if you need any more advice.

I think she definately needs professional help, but you should tell her you're concerned with what she's told you and tell her how it made you feel, as her friend, to see her go through that before. Tell her to talk to her parents and if she doesn't want to, then you should tell them. Don't take on the task of trying to stop her yourself, because if you can't stop her you'll blame yourself. She had professional help before and she'll need professional help again. You're such a good friend for not taking her thoughts lighly.

Tell her that you care for her, and you don't like seeing her do that to herself. Usually when things like this happen it hurts everyone around her and if you feel like she's hurting the people that love her tell her that. I somewhat believe not all of this needs 'proffesional' help, all you really need is people that care and believe in hope.

You are an awesome friend for trying to help her!! Whatever you decide to do for her to get help, make sure she knows you'll always be there for her, and you just want whats best for her.

thanks everyone for the responses.

i've tried a lot of things so far- telling her i care, telling her to think about the after effects, telling her it scares me and that she is beautiful just the way she is, encouraging her to get help. i even tried to make a deal with her that i'd stop my own addiction if she stopped considering anorexia and we could support each other. i hope something got across to her because i can't stand to see her like this. and i don't know much about eating disorders so i can't really even relate to what is going through her head. :(

i do not know her parents well enough to say anything but if i see that she stops eating i'll tell someone who can help her better than i can.

You can not be "cured" of anorexia or any other eating disorder, just like you can't be "cured" of alcoholism or a drug addiction. Therapy can teach you how to ignore the demons, but they will always be there whispering in your ear. For many people an initial in-patient or intensive out-patient program is the kick start, but then maintenance therapy is needed to maintain. If your friend isn't going to regular therapy sessions with someone who specializes in eating disorders that is something she needs to do.

Back