Hi, I'm A Newbie! I Have Three Questions To Start

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 25, 2015
1) What does "CP" mean in posts? As in "My CP is....." I feel so ignorant!
2) Rod floors: experience with them? Are they better than normal spring floors? Why is my daughter scared of them (she will bail in the middle of a tumbling pass, and says she hates them)? Our gym is small and doesn't have one.
3) Do some gyms spot more on new tumbling skills than others? Our gym seems to be more hands on with the girls, and spot a skill longer. Other places we've visited for clinics, etc. seems to focus more on independent skills into a pit or onto mats, or the dreaded rod floor. Thought/opinions?

Thanks!

2) Rod floors: experience with them? Are they better than normal spring floors? Why is my daughter scared of them (she will bail in the middle of a tumbling pass, and says she hates them)? Our gym is small and doesn't have one.
3) Do some gyms spot more on new tumbling skills than others? Our gym seems to be more hands on with the girls, and spot a skill longer. Other places we've visited for clinics, etc. seems to focus more on independent skills into a pit or onto mats, or the dreaded rod floor. Thought/opinions?

Thanks!
I can only answer the first one. It means Cute Puppy but don't mention puppy or @Cheer Dad will start posting not so cute puppy pictures. Lol jk it means cheer princess/prince. It used instead of athletes names.

I can only answer the first one. It means Cute Puppy but don't mention puppy or @Cheer Dad will start posting not so cute puppy pictures. Lol jk it means cheer princess/prince. It used instead of athletes names.
Cute Puppy. I like that. Wish I had thought of that so I could post this picture.

But since I didn't I won't post it.

Not kidding about cheerdad, though. He has...issues.

Not understanding where you are going with this....

**You're 12 and promoting a college recruiting camp. So tell us how your recruiting experience was?**

Thanks!
Rod floors are like spring floors but with more support. By more support I mean more bouncy! I personally have never had experience with the but I know they are more bouncy. Your daughter might be scared of the extra power and height you can get from rod floors. Some gyms are more hands on then others, it is also just how the coach coaches. Some coaches do not spot because they want you to just do it, while others want you to show your way through the skills first. Hope this helped you!!

if it helps, my current gym will spot until the athlete is comfortable with not being spotted. they don't 'force' us to try a skill that we truly cannot do, even if spotted or just generally throwing it on their own.

Rod floors are much more bouncy than spring floors. As an athlete, I hated tumbling on rod floors because I didn't feel like I could control my skills with the extra spring. I also hated tumble tracks and trampolines.

I used to be a hands-on spotter, but now I prefer and hands-off approach with drills and different surfaces. I think coaches are starting to understand that too much spotting can cause an athlete to trust the coach instead of him/herself. Training athletes to trust themselves, their training, and their bodies may help to prevent mental blocks.

Rod floors are much more bouncy than spring floors. As an athlete, I hated tumbling on rod floors because I didn't feel like I could control my skills with the extra spring. I also hated tumble tracks and trampolines.

I used to be a hands-on spotter, but now I prefer and hands-off approach with drills and different surfaces. I think coaches are starting to understand that too much spotting can cause an athlete to trust the coach instead of him/herself. Training athletes to trust themselves, their training, and their bodies may help to prevent mental blocks.
Have you ever used a panel on the tumble track? Still bouncier than a regular floor but nothing like a tumble track or rod floor.

**Big shout out to the Boarder that tagged me in the "Cute Puppy" pictures on the other FB. You are the best**

Have you ever used a panel on the tumble track? Still bouncier than a regular floor but nothing like a tumble track or rod floor.

**Big shout out to the Boarder that tagged me in the "Cute Puppy" pictures on the other FB. You are the best**
Yup, we always had a panel on our tumble track. I still hated the extra bounce. It made me feel out of control.

Thanks, this helps! Now I know there really is a difference between coaches/gyms. I agree with you that too much spotting tends to make my daughter more hesitant to try the skill on her own when she's really ready to do so.

Rod floors are much more bouncy, like a cross between a tumbl trak and a spring floor. I like them for anything except for fulls because it it thin and I am scared to fall off.
Some gyms teach the skill by spotting them on the floor so the know what to do. The gym I am at currently doesn't spot you and instead teaches how to do a skill into the pit, then onto a mat, then on the floor by yourself. It depends on the coaches style

Back