OT High End Makeup Must-haves

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I lovee Sonia Kashuk brushes and the all covered up concealer it's a god send I swear by it.

If you don't want to spend the money on NARS orgasm, Luminoso by Milani is a pretty good dupe. And it's cheap.

Anyone have recommendations for a waterproof mascara that doesn't flake off? The Maybelline stuff I was using went all goopy and clumpy.

I'm not sure what Maybeline you are using but I LOVE The Rocket Volume by Maybeline. It does dry out over time, but fortunately it's like $6/7 so it's not an arm and a leg to buy a new one when that happens! It holds a curl really well too

A few years ago I had zero social life and did nothing but study makeup. I wish I was kidding. I have sampled and tested thousands of products and took extensive notes on the good, bad and the ugly. If you have a question about a brand or a random particular item, feel free to ask, even if I haven't mentioned it before. Chances are, it's been on my face at one time or another. I'm going to list some of my favorites.

LOTION: I have very dry skin and I'm terrified of putting any old lotion on my face for fear of breaking out. I tried Cetaphil lotion because I have never heard anything negative about it. I happened to be the only person on the planet who had a bad reaction, which is such a bummer because it's not expensive. I use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. I've been using it for years and love it. Idk if this is TMI, but I used to get the little white flakes of dry skin in the crease of my nose and cheek and my skin would be practically raw, but this cleared it up and soothed it. I also use it as a base for my liquid foundation. When you buy it from a Clinique counter, you'll have the option to purchase the bottle as is (the pic below), or with the pump which costs a little extra. I've done both and recommend getting the pump. You can put it on future bottles of the Clinique lotion that you buy, so you only have to buy it once. Since this stuff isn't the cheapest lotion on the market, I only use it on my face and chest. I use whatever's cheapest at the drug store on my arms and legs since they're less sensitive and less prone to breakouts. Clinique recently came out with an "improved" formula called Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ (Plus). I have not tried it yet, but from what i've heard, it's not as good as the original. HERE is a link to the new formula with ingredient & pricing info.
clinique-moisturizer-clinique-dramatically-different-moisturizing-lotion.jpg

EYELINER: Who isn't head-over-heels in love with Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils? They're hands down, the best on the market. They are highly pigmented, apply like butter and last for hours. What's not to love? Oh yeah, the price. A single pencil will set you back $19. I have searched far and wide for a less expensive duplicate. I found a pencil that provides the exact quality and color as Urban Decay's pencil in the shade "Zero", which is essentially just a true black. It is Milani's Liquif'eye Metallic Eyeliner Pencil in the shade 01 Black. I buy mine at CVS, but you can also get them at Walmart, Target and Ulta. They cost around $8 each.
rsz_[img].jpg

PRIMER: Eyelid primer is a MUST! It neutralizes tone infrequencies that occur naturally on your eyelids, provides a base for your shadow, prevents shadow from creasing and most importantly, makes your shadow stay put throughout the day. I'll often use a base (like a fat NYX pencil for example) before I apply my shadow to make the color pop, but I always prime my eyes before doing anything, even if it's a creme. Cremes crease! Anyway, the two I trust are Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion and Too Faced's Shadow Insurance. They work the same way and provide the same result. Now that Urban Decay has changed their original packaging, they even look similar. Urban Decay offers several different types of primers: Original, Sin, Eden and Greed. The different formulas are supposed to enhance the finished look of the eyeshadow in different ways, but I would stick to original. HERE is their product info with ingredients and pricing. HERE is the product info for Too Faced Shadow Insurance.
rsz_popup.jpg
rsz_popup-1.jpg

Something important to look out for is the expiration dates on your makeup. Yes, makeup expires!! Okay, not really, but it does have a shelf life. You may notice that mascara you've had for 3 years is not applying as well as you remembered it did. That's because makeup keeps for a certain period of time once it's been opened. After that, the quality decreases. Look for a tiny little container shaped image on the back of your product near where the ingredients are listed. The little container will have a number in it. That will tell you how long your makeup is good for after you HAVE OPENED IT, not after you bought it.
It will look like this:
rsz_url.jpg

This means the product is good for 12 months once it's been opened.

Can you still use makeup once the date on the back has passed? Can you still use old makeup? The answer to this question is a controversial one and my personal opinion is yes. Is it bad for you? Maybe. Will it harm you? I don't know. All I can tell you is that I use makeup past it's shelf life. *gasp* I know, but hey, this stuff isn't cheap and i'm not about to throw away mascara that's only half empty. Whatever, i've never gotten sick or had any adverse reactions from using old makeup.

Something else important to know is how to sanitize your makeup. Makeup comes in many forms, and even if you're the only person who touches your makeup, you should still take the time to clean it. You would be horrified if you knew how much bacteria was on the surface of your eyeliner.
I feel like i've been working on this forever, and it's pathetic because I've only mentioned like 3 products, but I'll add more to this thread later. I'm not going to go into the specifics of how to sanitize each item of makeup out there, but i'll be more than happy to if you have no idea what i'm talking about or want me to elaborate. Also wash your brushes! But be mindful of the glue that holds the brush and bristles together. I'll have to expand on this later, I'm not making sense. Sorry guys. Okay, this last paragraph is probably coming out more jumbled than coherent, but seriously If you have any makeup questions please feel free to ask! I'm home for the next couple weeks with time off from class & work so naturally I'm going out of my mind with boredom & I love to talk about makeup.

Just got the Clairsonic Mia 2 for christmas, anyone have it? Like it? Hate it? I've heard amazing things about it!!!!
Please update this thread in a couple months with how you feel about it!! I've really been wanting one and have heard so many good things, but it's still so expensive that I haven't bit the bullet and bought one yet. I'd love to hear how you get on with it!

best liqued eyeliner? one that goes on well and stays on all day
MAC Liquidlast!
I swear it actually doesn't come off, I wash my face every morning and night and I'm almost always able to wear it for two days with minimal reapplying

I have the Mia 2. I don't really notice a dramatic difference but my skin isn't bad. You're skin will break out the first week or two but after that it'll be fine. Would I repurchase at full price? Most likely not. But if it breaks after the warranty I believe you can buy a new one at employee pricing.

That's what I'm worried about. I have pretty good skin, but it's a little dry so exfoliation is important so I don't get flaky. I don't want my skin to freak out since it's not bad now. Last year they went on sale during the Nordstrom anniversary sale so I'm hoping they will again this summer

Okay I got the naked 3 today and I'm in love with it. I've probably redone my eye makeup like 8 times just trying new colors and whTnot. I love it

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Okay I got the naked 3 today and I'm in love with it. I've probably redone my eye makeup like 8 times just trying new colors and whTnot. I love it

Glad I'm not the only one. With it being back ordered for forever I figured I wouldn't get it for Christmas. Aunt stood in line at sephora for 5 hours because they had it released for one hour. Let's just say I've reapplied 50 different ways already.

Glad I'm not the only one. With it being back ordered for forever I figured I wouldn't get it for Christmas. Aunt stood in line at sephora for 5 hours because they had it released for one hour. Let's just say I've reapplied 50 different ways already.
My mom ordered it for herself and since she has already bought one and two for herself she didn't think it was fair for her to have the 3 too! I was so surprised when I opened it this morning! I almost cried because she's not one to buy me expensive makeup... Haha. This one is so much better than one and two

So I ordered the Naked2 pallette with Christmas money. (Sephora gift cards really do make you Dauntless. I would never have bought it without one) What does everyone think of it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fierce Board mobile app

My mom ordered it for herself and since she has already bought one and two for herself she didn't think it was fair for her to have the 3 too! I was so surprised when I opened it this morning! I almost cried because she's not one to buy me expensive makeup... Haha. This one is so much better than one and two

Same! Wasn't even expecting it, I don't really get expensive makeup. Only have Naked Basics because I had a Macy's giftcard.

My mom bought me the naked 1! It's my first ever brand of makeup that's nice and not drug store I love it already :)

@CheerRehab what do you recommend for brushes? I too have the very dry skin like you said so I'm definitely going to try that lotion! Also, do you have a recommendation for highlighting and contouring products?

Bought the Smoked palette today! I'm so excited to use it tonight, I've been hunting for it since my friend did my makeup for me on holiday over summer but it's never in stock. All the Naked palettes were sold out but somehow they had Smoked left!

What do you use the Naked palettes for? Are they more of a day look? Which one is best for fair skin? I might get one when they're back in stock!

Also stupid question, does the eyeshadow primer go over or under my foundation/powder?

Back