High School High School Cheer Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nikki Moore

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2016
CP's has had three comps so far in HS Cheer. I don't get as much information about the results/scores like in All-Star. Of course we get their place if they are in the top 3 but that's about all I know..

CP has told me what her coaches have said and she gets the scores but they are sooo different than All-Star..
Scores seems so low if it's actually out of 100. I don't get how it can be so different than All-Star.

Does anyone know the differences in how scores are done in HS?
We had a comp over the weekend where the team that placed ahead of us by .2 points had almost their entire pyramid fall and a few stunt falls - we did have one girl not go up all the way in the pyramid but no other falls or deductions. We thought for sure it was the tumbling that made us lower but it was our stunts. CP told me that the first comp (where their stunts were watered down) they gave them a 4/6 on difficulty and on this most recent, they gave them 2/6 (even though they had added in a ton of stuff).
Just not sure how everything all works...

I feel so out of the loop with this...but tbh, it's much less stressful ;)

High school score sheets vary depending on the competition so without knowing who sponsored the comp or what scoresheet they used, we can't help much.

I guess if anyone knows anything about Georgia High School Cheer - that's who I assume it's all done through.

A major difference for HS from AS is the fact that there usually is not a skills/scoring rubric.

There are no minimum points for doing certain skills.

CP's has had three comps so far in HS Cheer. I don't get as much information about the results/scores like in All-Star. Of course we get their place if they are in the top 3 but that's about all I know..

CP has told me what her coaches have said and she gets the scores but they are sooo different than All-Star..
Scores seems so low if it's actually out of 100. I don't get how it can be so different than All-Star. First thing to remember here is that the All Star scoring system, for whatever reason, is designed so that most teams score in the 90's. They could literally make it a ten point scoring system and not lose a thing. As an example, the most recent version of the All Star scoring system that I have seen had basket tosses listed as a 5-point category; but even a team that did the absolute most basic toss possible in a level 5 division would score 3 points out of 5. You literally had to not do a single basket to get less than 3 points and the only possibility for that was a 0.

Does anyone know the differences in how scores are done in HS? This is very state specific, and can be a nightmare if the team participates in some state-sanctioned events and some non-state-sanctioned events. Our scoring system in Kentucky was just stupid until this year, when we finally adopted UCA's scoring system statewide.
We had a comp over the weekend where the team that placed ahead of us by .2 points had almost their entire pyramid fall and a few stunt falls - we did have one girl not go up all the way in the pyramid but no other falls or deductions. We thought for sure it was the tumbling that made us lower but it was our stunts. CP told me that the first comp (where their stunts were watered down) they gave them a 4/6 on difficulty and on this most recent, they gave them 2/6 (even though they had added in a ton of stuff). If the scoring system is comparative, it can explain this. If they did moderately difficult stunts the first competition, but were more difficult that the teams they competed against, they would get the upper end of a moderate score. The other teams would be scored lower than they were depending on how must simpler their skills were. At the next competition, even with more difficult skills, their score could go down if they were competing against a team with a super elite skill set.

This makes me crazy. Although Maryland does have a scoring rubric and it's the wonkiest thing, so I can't decide which is worse.

Our old rubric in KY was beyond wonky, it was stupid. No one understood it, no one could explain it, and no judge I ever approached gave specific answers to questions about it. It had five skills listed in the "excellent" difficulty range. At one competition you'd do skills that were harder than those five skills (a stretch full down was on the list), and you'd get a mediocre score because the skills weren't the specific ones on the list. At the next competition you'd do the skills on the list and get outscored by people who did the same skills you did at the previous competition. When I asked about that paradox, I was told, "well they're still excellent skills." I swear, I'm going to end up in the hottest end of hell for things I've thought about and said to some of these judges over the years.

ETA: my thoughts in red above

Interesting about the difference with the All-Star scoring - even the teams that I thought were really awesome and could be Level 5 teams (for Varsity) were only getting in the 80s... I just have to remember..apples...oranges...

Thanks!!

Not to hijack this thread, but I was researching UCA high school cheer rules because my daughter may tryout next year and she's only ever done all-star. Is it true that they cannot perform any running tumbling, do any tosses, only body position on one leg extended is lib, and the highest standing skill is a standing tuck? Those were the only rules I could find and it didn't seem right to me, but I have no experience with it other than my own in high school which was a million years ago and we certainly did way more than what is listed above. I'm hoping I found some rec rules or something.

Not to hijack this thread, but I was researching UCA high school cheer rules because my daughter may tryout next year and she's only ever done all-star. Is it true that they cannot perform any running tumbling, do any tosses, only body position on one leg extended is lib, and the highest standing skill is a standing tuck? Those were the only rules I could find and it didn't seem right to me, but I have no experience with it other than my own in high school which was a million years ago and we certainly did way more than what is listed above. I'm hoping I found some rec rules or something.

Those are the limitations on GameDay, which is a different format.

Get on YouTube and look up Ravenwood Cheer 2017 nationals. You’ll see that absent double twisting skills in tumbling (who needs Em anyway, they’re illegal in college now too), and double twisting dismounts, it’s not all that different. There are few more intricacies, high school cheer teams don’t have a separate scoring category for baskets because you can’t do them in all states, and to be honest...I’m glad because to teach them correctly requires more time than I’m willing to spend for 5 points.

Interesting about the difference with the All-Star scoring - even the teams that I thought were really awesome and could be Level 5 teams (for Varsity) were only getting in the 80s... I just have to remember..apples...oranges...

Thanks!!

At Bluegrass this weekend, one of the perennial top teams in the country had a raw score of 82-something in one of our divisions. That’s not a bad score.

Back