High School High School Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 18, 2016
I am a veteran coach (7 years) at the school where I teach. I am comfortable with having my tryouts judged by outside judges. However, my district really doesn't want me anywhere near the tryout room/process and it is very frustrating to me. Is this a typical practice?

I judge tryouts in Kansas and in one of the districts, the coaches can't see the tryouts, the scoresheets have to be tabulated by people not associated with cheer and the coaches aren't able to see who made the team until after the process is done and the team is already picked. I always feel really bad for the kids and coaches in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a parent. I think the coach should have some say who is on their team. You wouldn't let the football, basketball, soccer, etc…coaches not pick their team.

The coach or coaches should be on the judging panel.

I have experienced some very biased coaches. I am fine with some outside judges because of this.

I am a parent. I think the coach should have some say who is on their team. You wouldn't let the football, basketball, soccer, etc…coaches not pick their team.

The coach or coaches should be on the judging panel.

I have experienced some very biased coaches. I am fine with some outside judges because of this.
You are right on the other teams. Can you imagine the football coach being told that he cannot choose his team or have any input whatsoever??? :)

Do they do this because some coaches (inadvertently) are biased either in favor or against certain athletes? I am just curious, my cp is in middle school. She made school cheer this year, and I think they had an outside panel. I could imagine it would be tempting to score down an athlete who was a PITA to the coach all season, but the outside panels keep it all about the skills.

Can u call a meeting with the district and explain the similarity posters have described to cuts being made on a football team without football coach consent, volleyball, basketball etc. ?

It depends. Some coaches may be very biased and you don't want Susie with a forward roll to make it over Becky with a back tuck because Susie is the coaches daughter.

@Gsquared Is this something new for the upcoming season or has it always been this way in your district? And do you have final say in the team or is it solely based on tryouts?

I believe that the coach should be one of the judges, however I believe you need outside judges, as well. The outside judges are there to keep it fair, as fair as possible. I also believe that the other judges need to have real cheer experience, preferably recent cheer experience. I really dislike it when graduating senior cheerleaders or very recently graduated cheerleaders (from that school) are on the judging panel. They are too close to the girls trying out to not be biased. Even if they do have info about Suzie never being on time, they might also be mad at Suzie that week because of a stupid boy issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends. Some coaches may be very biased and you don't want Susie with a forward roll to make it over Becky with a back tuck because Susie is the coaches daughter.
I've never seen that. Did Becky get kicked off the team the previous year or something.

I agree, it should be like other sports where the coaches decide. People against that, what is your reasoning when other sports do this? Would you tell the basketball coach to have outside people decide?

We've also recently had this discussion re: teacher recommendations. My coaching staff and I are thinking of getting rid of them for this year's tryout. Reason: No other sport has that.

Back