High School High School Videos 19-20

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am clueless. How much do panel mats cost?

My AD bought us 7 brand new mats from Dollamur. After shipping and everything total cost game out to about $6000 since we bought in bulk. If you only buy a few you're paying basically the same for shipping anyway so it just makes sense to do it all at once.

Lexington HS—-South Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope UCA cheer teams move in this direction. Fast, clean, more demanding. Teams at UCA could push it more and stop taking an eight count to prepare for a double up. It’s painfully sluggish to watch even the best teams sometimes.

I’m only aware of a handful of teams that are capable of this style and none of them go to UCA so I’m not sure if this trend will catch on, but I think it’s necessary if HS cheer doesn’t want to be completely left behind by the existence of AS.

I really hope UCA cheer teams move in this direction. Fast, clean, more demanding. Teams at UCA could push it more and stop taking an eight count to prepare for a double up. It’s painfully sluggish to watch even the best teams sometimes.

I’m only aware of a handful of teams that are capable of this style and none of them go to UCA so I’m not sure if this trend will catch on, but I think it’s necessary if HS cheer doesn’t want to be completely left behind by the existence of AS.

depends on what you mean by left behind. All I see out of that is a big mess of skills with no crowdleading involved. Cheerleading’s primary function is on the sideline. The emphasis of the UCA scoresheet and the UCA style reflect this. All star cheerleader USED to be cheerleading. It’s not anymore. There is no comparison anymore. They should take the word cheerleading out of the all star industry. The closest most all star gyms come to actual cheerleading is allowing school cheer teams to use their facilities.

depends on what you mean by left behind. All I see out of that is a big mess of skills with no crowdleading involved. Cheerleading’s primary function is on the sideline. The emphasis of the UCA scoresheet and the UCA style reflect this. All star cheerleader USED to be cheerleading. It’s not anymore. There is no comparison anymore. They should take the word cheerleading out of the all star industry. The closest most all star gyms come to actual cheerleading is allowing school cheer teams to use their facilities.
But then there's the global divisions that contradicts all of that. With how much those divisions have grown in just one season, we could definitely see all star revert back to including the crowd leading aspect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

But then there's the global divisions that contradicts all of that. With how much those divisions have grown in just one season, we could definitely see all star revert back to including the crowd leading aspect.

More and more non global teams also seem to be putting their gym's "cheer" back into their music...

More and more non global teams also seem to be putting their gym's "cheer" back into their music...

but is it true “crowd leading?” The idea is to be able to direct the crowd. Not have them show up knowing 2 8-counts of words that they regurgitate from memory. That’s not a cheer, that’s a jingle.

I actually think the addition of the Global division isn’t a great thing for HS cheer. Before that, actual “game day” cheerleading skills were the only thing HS could offer that AS couldn’t, which is important if you want to pursue college cheer. Now that’s no longer the case. Pretty soon the only incentive to do HS cheer will be that it’s cheaper.

That’s not to say that the Global division shouldn’t exist or anything like that, I’m just looking at it from the perspective of an HS coach who is constantly trying to keep the attention of the AS girls on her team so they don’t get bored. Which is hard to do because HS cheer is quickly running out of things to offer kids besides the lower cost. We can’t do as many stunts, our uniforms aren’t as impressive, and oftentimes the choreo is not as demanding. So from my POV, cheer teams need to adapt to an AS style if they don’t want to lose their athletes to AS gyms.

I actually think the addition of the Global division isn’t a great thing for HS cheer. Before that, actual “game day” cheerleading skills were the only thing HS could offer that AS couldn’t, which is important if you want to pursue college cheer. Now that’s no longer the case. Pretty soon the only incentive to do HS cheer will be that it’s cheaper.

That’s not to say that the Global division shouldn’t exist or anything like that, I’m just looking at it from the perspective of an HS coach who is constantly trying to keep the attention of the AS girls on her team so they don’t get bored. Which is hard to do because HS cheer is quickly running out of things to offer kids besides the lower cost. We can’t do as many stunts, our uniforms aren’t as impressive, and oftentimes the choreo is not as demanding. So from my POV, cheer teams need to adapt to an AS style if they don’t want to lose their athletes to AS gyms.

I think that may be a regional or local issue. We have all kinds of things to offer kids that they can’t get from all stars, but we also teach them to love and appreciate the sports For which they are standing on the sideline. We have relationships with the coaching staff. I make myself available so my girls who otherwise don’t understand football/basketball rules/strategy can ask questions in the middle of the game. There’s value in supporting their classmates. There’s also rewards: two years ago we stood on the sideline at Rupp Arena for the state basketball championship. Whether a kid grew up loving UK basketball or not, Rupp Arena is iconic in Kentucky. We have a good shot at doing it again this year with our girls basketball team.

This can change from one year to the next, but right now I have 2 girls on my team who do all stars as well. There are 0 all star cheerleaders in our school building who are not on my roster. I pick up a handful of freshmen who are all stars now next year, and all of them are planning to tryout for me. One of them is moving districts to do so.

You offer Friday Night Lights! A big deal in Texas! :)

I think solid gameday skills still matter in college tryouts and HS cheer does give valuable experience in that realm.

Ex: At your UKs, Bamas, Clemsons, and big football schools, those coaches want more than just a talented tumbler/stunter. They need all that and someone who enjoys leading the crowd.

That's why I am a big advocate for kids who are all star only to at least spend a season cheering for school to get that experience.

I think solid gameday skills still matter in college tryouts and HS cheer does give valuable experience in that realm.

Ex: At your UKs, Bamas, Clemsons, and big football schools, those coaches want more than just a talented tumbler/stunter. They need all that and someone who enjoys leading the crowd.

That's why I am a big advocate for kids who are all star only to at least spend a season cheering for school to get that experience.

My daughter’s High School does not have a cheer team. The only sport they have is a club soccer team. What do you recommend for kids in that situation?

Back