High School High School Vs All Star

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think that you really can't say one is better than the other. I've seen some very bad allstar routines and programs, just like I've seen some very bad high school routines and programs. I personally think highschool is a little harder in the aspect there is no spring floor, and sometimes we have to tumble and stunt on grass, concrete, or the gym floor. However, allstars is more time consuming and I take it more seriously than high school cheer. The routines and practice at my allstar gym are typically taken more seriously, and are harder than the ones at high school. And I don't know if it was just my team, but I found there to be less drama and rudeness on my allstar team, especially towards the coaches.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think that you really can't say one is better than the other. I've seen some very bad allstar routines and programs, just like I've seen some very bad high school routines and programs. I personally think highschool is a little harder in the aspect there is no spring floor, and sometimes we have to tumble and stunt on grass, concrete, or the gym floor. However, allstars is more time consuming and I take it more seriously than high school cheer. The routines and practice at my allstar gym are typically taken more seriously, and are harder than the ones at high school. And I don't know if it was just my team, but I found there to be less drama and rudeness on my allstar team, especially towards the coaches.

I agree with this. I coach high school. I didn't and still don't have a passion for all-star. I did like coaching the kids, but I can do that at any level.

I think girls on all-star are nicer to their coaches/teammates because 1: they are choosing to cheer there and paying for it. 2: because high school coaches i think teenagers look at them as an extension of school and they don't understand the term respect.

I have thrown girls out of the gym for being disrespectful/rolling eyes/talking back/being nasty to other teammates.

I also have seen quite scary and tragic all-star routines. It honestly baffles me that people pay for it and don't see it's unsafe and scary and these gyms stay open. At the end of the day it's your region, your preference and what you are looking for.

I personally am so completely over this debate.

Apples and oranges in my opinion. Several of the HS's around us give the option of doing either sideline and/or competition (ours does not). My daughter's friends say sideline is for the "social". They do the fundraisers, make signs/banners, goodie bags for the athletes, etc. They, also, said the drama level is extremely high with all of the "togetherness" but, also, so are the friendships. They said the competition squad is much like All Star in the fact that you get the girls that tend to be more competitive and have All Star coaches that work along side the HS coach. They will tell you there is much less drama on the competition squad because, they are working practices and talking is kept to a minimum by the coaches. Many of the HS competition girls do All Star and the ones that don't, say they would if their parents would allow it because, they love to compete. Both serve a purpose and I am a big fan of separating the two only because the best competitive cheerleaders don't always make for the best sideline cheerleaders and vice-versa.

Apples and oranges in my opinion. Several of the HS's around us give the option of doing either sideline and/or competition (ours does not). My daughter's friends say sideline is for the "social". They do the fundraisers, make signs/banners, goodie bags for the athletes, etc. They, also, said the drama level is extremely high with all of the "togetherness" but, also, so are the friendships. They said the competition squad is much like All Star in the fact that you get the girls that tend to be more competitive and have All Star coaches that work along side the HS coach. They will tell you there is much less drama on the competition squad because, they are working practices and talking is kept to a minimum by the coaches. Many of the HS competition girls do All Star and the ones that don't, say they would if their parents would allow it because, they love to compete. Both serve a purpose and I am a big fan of separating the two only because the best competitive cheerleaders don't always make for the best sideline cheerleaders and vice-versa.

I don't separate my teams. You are a cheerleader or not. To cheer you have to participate in everything.

We work very minimal on sidelines and game stuff and use our games to do the performance ready stunts as practice. I don't think we spend more then 6 hours overall prepping specifically for football (learn sidelines, traditions, standard quarter cheers, a few all inclusive stunts w/ JV and Varsity as they cheer home games together and we are done). The rest of prep is done the hour before the game. I also don't think we spend more then 4 hours prepping for basketball during practice.

However, we are very sharp and clean at games. I took over last year and I was told by many onlookers that said - are you new? The girls look amazing.

My opinion on that is good training can go a long way. They listen, they are able to think on the fly. We prepare safe and clean items for football and basketball.

The girls make signs, goodie bags, etc on their own time. We do not spend that time at practice (waste of my time). They all seem to be friends and love excuses to get together so that is done on their time, not mine. They ask me if they can make a few posters and decorate lockers, I get info cleared from school if needed, and they handle after that. It works beautifully.

I did both all through high school and Allstar since I was 5. I love them both for different reasons. I like High School because I love football and basketball and I think it's fun to cheer for my friends. I dislike high school because I love tumbling and it really isn't a focus with High School. I personally prefer all-star because everyone takes it more seriously and I can tumble more. I fly so I like to showcase harder skills and skills that are illegal in high school. :)

I did both all through high school and Allstar since I was 5. I love them both for different reasons. I like High School because I love football and basketball and I think it's fun to cheer for my friends. I dislike high school because I love tumbling and it really isn't a focus with High School. I personally prefer all-star because everyone takes it more seriously and I can tumble more. I fly so I like to showcase harder skills and skills that are illegal in high school. :)

MOST all-star programs unless you want to drive have weak level 3s - with that being said, we are doing more difficult stunts at the varsity HS level :) Any of the level 4 plus athletes tend to stick w/ all-star. :)

MOST all-star programs unless you want to drive have weak level 3s - with that being said, we are doing more difficult stunts at the varsity HS level :) Any of the level 4 plus athletes tend to stick w/ all-star. :)
I did level 5 all four years of high school and did high school cheer just because I loved high school cheer :) I think High School squads are stepping up there game. Wish I was still in High school! :)

I just hate it when people are always making fun of hs cheer and stuff and say it is not a sport.....yeah sideline isn't but like most hs teams are about competing now! I know that I hate sideline stuff and I think it's a complete waste of time, and I am serious with this sport but I am unable to do all stars (if I could I would have already been doing it). So I think that people should stop making fun or not appreciating school cheer because there are a lot of teams that practice way more than all star teams, and i think they work equally the same. Man, I wish that high schools had A&T!

Back