All-Star High Schools & How They Perceive All Stars

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ACEDAD

Named "Best Veteran" meaning "Most Attractive".
Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
I would like to get some input from everyone about the interaction between high school cheer teams and how they interact (good or bad) with all stars.

Does the high school coach have any issue with cheering all stars? Are there restrictions? Are high school cheerleaders banned from cheering all stars?

I would also like to know specific schools, if possible. Just wanting to get a feel for how many actually do different things.

Thanks for the input!

In our district, the HS coach does not allow her cheerleaders to do all star. Her team is not a competition focused team. They may do a couple of small, local comps, but they mainly sideline focused. If I had to "level" them, I may put them at a 3.2 :cool:

The HS just held tryouts, and CP and her friends from all star did not try out. A few of her friends from her former rec team did try out and made Varsity as freshmen.

Other schools in the area do not have the same restrictions-- I know of a few girls who do both HS and AS. There are a couple of local HS cheer teams that I've seen looking great at local comps, but I have no idea if they go to the larger national level events.

My school does let you do both, but no one does it. HS Cheer is mostly a popularity thing at my school. Yes, they do have great skills (level 3/4) yet instead of actually excelling in an allstar gym they choose to stay in HS (They tumble at the local gymnastics gym) for the popularity aspect (I have asked a few about it.) My school does go to several competitions and UCA in Florida, but they have yet to make day 2. Most of the HS cheerleaders at my school don't know much about allstar, but now they are starting to talk about the "cheerlebrities" and follow them on social networking sites. There are a few allstar cheerleaders at school and they seem to both respect each other, neither talking smack about HS/Allstar, mostly due to the fact that the allstar and HS cheerleaders at my school are the same skill level.

At my high school, the cheerleaders hated allstar girls. I was doing allstar. Their team has won states 3 years in a row, but never nationals. I had a class with the captain and every time I mentioned cheer or wore something cheer related to school, she'd roll her eyes and make snarky comments. One day I was fed up with it so, I just said 'what was that? I can't hear you over my 2 NATIONAL champion titles.' that probably wasn't the right way to handle it, but the team didn't make snarky comments anymore :p
They're allowed to do allstar at the same time, but only one of them did the year I was there.

There are several girls who do allstar and school cheer at the same time at my school. However next year my coach is not allowing girls who do allstar to cheer basketball season because it conflicts with Saturday tournaments all too often. My high school only competes at one competition over the summer. Cheering football season (especially for varsity, since games are Friday night) is relatively painless.

Our school system has 9 high schools with cheer teams (our early college high school doesn't have sports). All high schools except the one I'm principal of allow AS. My cheer coach does not.

Our middle schools are prohibited from building anything. Tumbling is done at their own risk but its really just sideline cheer so high schoolers don't have a great deal of experience coming up.

Our school is probably the most competitive high school program in the district. They stunt to level 3, we've got 2-3 fulls some tucks and some back handsprings. We've also got some without tumbling which she's looking to build this year. To my knowledge were the only school with mats but I could be wrong.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My coaches didn't come out and say they didn't want you doing allstar but said missing a game or practice for it was unacceptable and you would have conditioning.

My high school team is better then most of the allstar teams in the area so a lot of the girls do it till they make varsity and focus on school cheer and state. Allstar isn't considered the "thing" to do around here. I live in Southwest MO

At our school they do allow you to cheer all star and the teams actually use my cp's gym for tumbling. All star is not as popular here as in other areas of the country so school cheer is much bigger. Alot of schools here on long island compete and do very well at UCA nationals. There are some hs that once you reach varsity they won't allow you to cheer all star primarily because alot of those programs, rocky point, for example have been national champs and practice, I was told, like 7 days a week leading up to nationals. There just simply is no time. My cp's coach has so far supported her all star but did once make it a point of telling me that I needed to know that school cheer comes first. So far I know if forced she would choose all star. The coach also made a comment to me about not understanding why I spend so much money on all star. (Well, if it wasnt for all star and all the money I spend you wouldn't have moved her up to jv from middle school.)
One of the reasons our gym probably won't go to Cheersport is because its the same time as hs nationals, and nca is very soon afterward. We lose a lot of girls to varsity hs cheer and that may be why we don't have as many level 5 teams here.

I know that if you want to do varsity cheer at my high school, you aren't allowed to do allstars, I believe the same goes for JV but I could be wrong..

It wasn't a problem with the high school I cheered at and then coached. Both the coached I had during my time there were allstar alums so they recommended it. Most girls didn't though. We competed heavily in the fall and most of the girls liked their springs free or participated in a spring sport. When I cheered I was the only one on my team who did ACX and one younger girl did a very small local gym. It has grown in popularity and when I went back to coach there were probably 4 girls who were on allstars as well.

At my HS we are allowed to do both but HS takes priority. At times when we have comps on the game days as games, the HS coaches will make an exception or the AS coach will let us be a tad late. For the most part all star is completely acceptable just know it doesn't come first.

For the most part HS here don't want their girls to do all star. They can't stop it, so if you can work out the schedule or the all star gym will be flexible there have been a few to make it work recently. Some coaches try to tell girls they CANT do it according to the HS rules, but there isn't anything that explicitly says it, so it's interpretation. If the HS was just sideline and didn't compete, I think they could do both. If HS competes fairly regularly, the seasons overlap, so it would be very hard on them physically and schedule. All star would also have to be SUPER flexible and I'm not sure that is fair to the all star team to adjust for a couple of girls who do HS.
If HS teams would change their competition season to fall and be done by November, which some states do, then it would be more feasible to do both if the competition seasons don't overlap.

In OK we have regionals in Sep. and State in Oct. then if you choose nationals in Feb. which we start practicing for before basketball starts.

I do both high school and all star. In my state, especially in my area, high school cheer is not very big at all. For my team specifically, the kids weren't very dedicated. We only compete at one local competition (this year we didn't even compete). There were maybe 4 or so out of the 20 girls on my high school who did all star, myself included. Since we basically taught the other girls everything, I would say they looked up to us in a way. My high school coach, on the other hand, didn't like when we had to leave practice early or miss because of something all star related. In the end it didn't really matter. Overall, cheerleading in my town/county isn't popular or well known.

My CP did HS this year but she couldn't do allstar until after the HS competitive season finishes. It has to do with the IHSA regulations and not any coach/school rules. Her HS varsity squad was very good but overall the work ethic and commitment to things like tumbling practice outside of HS practice seemed to be lacking (especially in my CP's eyes coming from an allstar background). I never heard her comment on any issues regarding kids' opinions on HS vs. AS so I don't think it mattered. For me as a parent watching the HS cheerleaders at the actual football/basketball games, I was very disappointed. There was a ton of standing around socializing with minimal cheering or even fun things for the crowds to watch like stunting or tumbling. The squad rarely even got to perform at half time as all the available time went to the band or dance squad.

Back