All-Star High Schools & How They Perceive All Stars

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In FL, the state association allows you to do both and I know a lot girls do. Not many from my school specifically but the others in my county for sure. As for the relationship between HS/AS cheerleaders themselves I think it differs gym to gym and school to school. Because my school and all the others in my county except for one or two aren't very successful in the competitions for the FHSAA, a lot of the girls on more successful allstar teams almost look down upon high school cheerleading and think they're so much better. The girls on my squad at the high school could care less. Four of our coaches from the past few years (out of six total) have been allstar coaches and we practiced several times at their respective gyms. But like I said, it's a very situational question.

In Northern Virginia, our athletes are allowed to do both. Our coach is very understanding and tries to work with the girls. I think that is because she was an AS cheerleader herself. We only compete during the fall. During that time, until States, hs comes first. Our AS gym is very supportive too during the fall. This usually works out well, as our state competition is usually the first week or two of November. During basketball season, the girls have to find a substitute if it is their turn to cheer. We probably have about 4-5 AS girls on the varsity squad. I will say that my CP was frustrated with the lack of commitment from most of the hs athletes. She is not used to people not showing up for practice, or using "injuries" to get out of practice, and the lack of enthusiasm for advancing their skills. Additionally, with a lot of the hs athletes, their stunting skills were not correct or just plain dangerous. My daughter felt a lot of the time, the girls just wanted to get the stunt up at whatever the cost. This resulted in a LOT of injuries. We had 7 concussions this year on a team of 24!

I've done allstars for 10 years. I decided to tryout for school cheer freshman year (I am now a junior.), and myself along with another girl from my gym made the JV team (along with 17 other girls). The coaches were very big headed because people told us we were better than varsity, and we could barely do libs...let alone we only had one girl who could tumble (the one from my gym), and only one girl who was flexible enough to do a heel stretch...we were bad...varsity was just worse I guess.
Throughout the season, the coaches made slurs at us trying to say they hated allstar cheerleaders..even though if they hadn't gotten me and girl 2, they wouldn't of been able to stunt because we had to teach those girls EVERYTHING about stunting..I know there's lots of parts of cheer but that was a big one and they didn't know anything about it.
Also during the season, me and girl 2 were always on the back row. One night at a basketball game, they said they wanted to change things up and let people who had been in the back go to the front and vice versa...they kept us two in the back. They were literally wicked.
One of the coaches came with the schools arts department on the New York trip which I go on every year, over spring break. While we were at dinner one night, she blankly said to me, "I hate allstar cheer. You better not expect to be on the team next year if you cheer allstars. You need to quit." ....me and girl 2 tried out again and neither made it. Coincidence? I think not. I had an awful experience cheering high school, and I am NOT going back.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I would like to get some input from everyone about the interaction between high school cheer teams and how they interact (good or bad) with all stars.

Does the high school coach have any issue with cheering all stars? Are there restrictions? Are high school cheerleaders banned from cheering all stars?

I would also like to know specific schools, if possible. Just wanting to get a feel for how many actually do different things.

Thanks for the input!

my high school coach allows all star cheerleaders (however I am the one one who does both) but if you miss a high school competition for all star you get kicked off the team for good. my high school and all star have a good relationship because we go to our nearest all star gym (which happens to be my all star gym) to tumble once a week and a bunch of girls do privates there. my coach has ha problems with all star in the past and had to kick off three girls because they had an added comp for all star to get a worlds bid so they had to miss a high school competition.... needless today they did not cheer the rest of that year or the year after. my coach doesn't let me miss practice/games for all star cheer (only once in a blue moon) so I usually go late to my all star practice and my all star coach and I talked about it so she is ok with it.

If you have any more questions PM me!

Our high school teams are ground bound due to a 20 year old lawsuit where a girl got hurt (she was stunting at non school event after being tod by the coach not to do so). Coaches are happy to get allstar girls willing to cheer because the have sone tumbling and generally work with allstar schedules. Obviously, since they cannot stunt they only do sideline cheer. The private schools in the area that can stunt and compete allow it, but don't love the arrangement. They realize that without allstars they wouldn't have a team with a prayer of being competitive so they make it work.

Here in our area of North Texas, the majority of high school cheerleaders do both all-star and school cheer. The competition is so fierce that if you don't do all-star cheer, your chances of making the high school squad is very slim. But that's Texas for you. Football and cheerleaders are extremely important to Texans.

That is about the same here in Georgia. Coaches look for heavy level 4 and level 5 all star athletes for their varsity competition teams.

Lots of very good information here. I really appreciate all the posts so far. All aditional info still welcome!

I allow my HS kids to cheer all-star with the premonition that HS comes first. We practice in the evening. We compete first 2 weekends of Dec, most of January and half of Feb. With that being said, the very travel focused all-star kids have to choose. Some of the more local competition all-star teams we can usually make it work. It's just the nature of the beast.

Oh forgot to add that HS comes first for us. The AS coach lets girls miss practices/be late if they have HS practice/game. It doesn't conflict much during football season because practice is till 5 or 6 and we don't have games except Fridays.During basketball season they missed a lot of practices though. When they have comps they sometimes miss a Saturday basketball game but usually can get back in time
Although its gotten harder every year for the AS side, because the gym is new and started with a majority of young girls who are now sophomores and freshmen in high school.

I only did both my senior year because I knew it would be my last chance to go to Worlds, I only did high school Freshman - Junior. I went in that year telling my coach exactly why I was doing all-star and that if I had to pick it would be all-star. I told her that if that meant I couldn't be on the team that I would understand completely. She was completely willing to work with me because they wanted to go to HS Nationals and I was one of only 3 fulls on the team. So basically I tried to miss equally of both but I ended up missing quite a bit of basketball games and my coach just kinda dealt with it.

As a high school coach, I ENCOURAGE my cheerleaders to join the Allstar team in my area... Makes them better, and more impressive for the student body. And, because we aren't competitive, it gives them an opportunity to experience competition.

At my school, about half of the Freshman team did Allstar. About 10 of us (including me) did both this year. Theres no rule against it but our coach was super easy going about allstar. Most of the time it didn't conflict but if I missed one or two games for like a mandatory allstar practice they didn't mind. Although all the girls on my highschool team cheered mainly at the same gym so when we would have like an extra practice and had to miss school cheer, half the team wouldn't be there. I guess it's cause we were a freshman team. Our school for the most part is pretty good. We don't compete though, so a lot of girls do allstar because they want to compete. Our Freshman team all had solid libs and were pulling stretches and almost everyone had their bhs, we had like 5 tucks and 2 layouts. It's very very hard for a freshman to make a higher team when it's their first year in highschool, i think it's a maturity thing.

When my high school team competed we were allowed to do all-star, but it definitely took alot of dedication being on 2 teams that compete, plus football and basketball games... props to the girls who did it because i was stressed out just doing high school.
We don't compete now. I don't have a problem with it until girls start missing/skipping our practices for their all-star practices.. I understand when it's necessary, like the week before a competition, if someone on your team has an injury and you're changing stuff around.. etc. All practices for every team should be mandatory, it's really difficult to learn anything new on either team if not everyone is there. I don't have anything against all-star and I'm super jealous of the girls who get to do both, but if you're going to do both you really need to have dedication to both of the teams and not just the one that you think is more important. for example, if your high school team was learning a new dance for halftime, but your all star team had practice at the same time, the girl would go to all star practice and not high school. where if allstar was learning a new dance, and high school had practice, they would still go to the all star practice.

In the Chicago Northwest Suburbs you cannot do both.

It isn't just Chicago or the northwest suburbs. In Illinois, you cannot be on a competitive high school cheer team and an all-star cheer team. Cheer is a sport in Illinois and is recognized by IHSA as such. There is a competition for the state title. Some schools elect not to be 'competitive' in cheer and simply do sideline cheering. At those schools you can do both all-star and high school. Or, like your daughter's school, which divides the seasons, they can do football cheer and not be on the competitive squad, but those are exceptions.

We are allowed to but most people do not. But we have EXCELLENT high school competitive cheer in my area and 2 of our schools won state this year along with several others making state finals and placing top 6. Our allstar programs are lacking(Although Georgia opening up a gym will probably help some) and the closest allstar program worth traveling for is 1.5 hours away.

Back