College Historically Black College And University Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 13, 2014
This thread is merely to discuss HBCU cheerleading.

In my opinion cheerleading has come along way however, cheer programs in these school still lack. I recently attended CheerSport Nationals where I had the honor to witness Savannah State University's all girl and co-ed compete. I think they did well however because of where all star cheer has evolved I still think both and most of these squads are still behind.

Grambling State and Prairie View A & M both competed at WSA this past weekend. They both placed first in their divisions however they competed against themselves. I think this is great however I hadn't seen any videos of their routines.

Southern University has one of the Best HBCU cheer squads ever yet they still don't get the exposure and recognition that I believe they should be getting. Now I know that these school's program usually aren't funded by, supported or promoted by their institutions, but I'm wondering what is it that us black cheerleaders who support these schools can do to help promote cheerleading and get these squads on the competitive level.

I'm currently a coach with aspirations of owning my own All Star Gym one day. I'm willing to travel and do camps and clinics to help build these programs. Any thoughts?

Is it truly lack of support, or is it because of the style they choose to embody? I don't know either way. We used to attend UCA College Camp with Bowie State University. They were a very spirited group of young women with a great game day presence and crowd pleasing cheers. However, their style was different than most schools (chants and stomps) and may deter someone with a strictly all star background from trying out. No knock on BSU or their style...I really enjoyed it and thought it was highly effective in leading a crowd. Just curious if that could be a factor.

On the other hand, Morgan State University is a historically black college with a fabulous cheerleading program. I know that they get a ton of support from their athletic department, however, and are held to the same standards as the rest of the athletes.

ETA: I realized that you were directing this thread at other black cheerleaders. I may not be that, but I am all for helping any university cheerleading team find what they need to be successful.

This is a great topic and hopefully industry professionals and HBCU athletes will give some insight. Virginia State University "Woo Woo Girls" are highly regarded in the world of HBCU cheer, but as you noted the style is not "traditional." Another great program is Clark Atlanta Univ.....their jumps are no joke! They embody more traditional allstar style just as Morgan State does. Maybe the coaches/ADs at most HBCUs simply want to maintain a longstanding tradition rather than conform to what we consider mainstream, traditional cheerleading.

Lee Franconia Cheer

There is so much I'd like to say about this topic, but instead for the most part I'm going to bite my tongue.

I know that when I was in undergrad, NC A&T had a good program and I remember hearing from a friend that their try out process was no joke.

I personally never had an interest in attending an HBCU for educational purposes, but the idea of cheering at one did not interest me because I know that I was not the type of cheerleader they were looking for. I had the tumbling, stunting, jumping and over all cheering skills that were good enough to make a team.....however I lacked the ability to stomp, shake and clap simultaneously...so there wasn't a back row far enough back (outside the arena/stadium even) for me to blend in.

That said. While working at an HBCU (albeit the it was probably the absolute worst HBCU...college even...in America) as a librarian, I was forced/blackmailed into coaching cheerleading. I lasted maybe a month. There was no funding. The girls attitude and behavior could only be described as triflin'. They lacked respect for me. I am close friends with a gym owner and I'd worked out a deal for them for them to go work out at an all star facility for like $5 a month.... They said it was too much money.

I offered to pay for all star coaches to come work with them OUT OF MY OWN pocket.... they didn't want that.

They wanted to stunt...but nobody wanted to lift anyone in the air, because everyone was too heavy (granted they were heavy)....I think the smallest flyer was like 130... Just a mess. Like a MESS.

I had one guy try out with a back handspring....but his GPA was a legit .38.... a POINT 38. I never figured out how that was mathematically possible....but at any rate he was kicked out of school shortly after because federal financial aid does not fund that type of foolishness.

I could literally go on and on about my experience but the lack of desire to be good hindered these girls/guys the most.

Grambling does have a good program I remember being impressed with them at NCA college nationals in 2005. I made it a point to go see them and sit in the sun for hours to support it. I remember always looking up Bowie State as well.

South Carolina State and Benedict college have good (comparatively) side line programs but I don't think they have competitive programs

Theres a good instagram account that follows HBCU cheerleaders.... HBCUcheer maybe?

I actually got a chance to judge the annual Southern Interscholastic Athletic Conference annual cheer competition. They conduct it in conjunction with the basketball tournament. Not all schools competed but we usually got Benedict, Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, Tuskeegee, Miles, Lane, Stillman and some others I can't remember.

There was some obvious talent with many of the athletes. But it was very apparent that they either weren't getting top level instruction or weren't working hard enough at it. That wasn't the case in the dance competitions, however. That was where they did have top teachers and more passion.

Generally, I was reminded of many level 6 teams at local competitions. Occasionally, there would be a surprise team however, that could compete with most other small college teams at UCA or NCA. But they weren't going to threaten a UK or UL anytime soon.

And now y'all know something else about me because I bet you would never have guessed that I was in charge of this for three years!

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

The MEAC (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) Cheer championships will be held at Norfolk State University on March 8. I watched last years cheer championships and hmm. They could definitely used some guidance in how to run a competition. I get there style is very different from the rest and that is fine. Maybe an all-star team could exhibition there to give them some inspiration :)

Morgan State has won 3 years in a row I believe. It would be great for someone to offer them camps/clinics to help improve their skills. I also know these schools don't always have the funding for such.

The MEAC has the following schools competing:
Bethune-Cookman College
Coppin State
Delaware State University
Florida A& M University (FAMU)
Howard University
Hampton University
University of MD-Eastern Shore (UMES)
Morgan State University
Savannah State University
South Carolina State
North Carolina A & T
North Carolina Central University
Norfolk State University
http://www.meachoops.com/tournament/cheerleading/

The MEAC Tournament is usually held the same weekend we go to UCA, this year its the week before. We will probably check out the cheer competition along with a basketball game.

The MEAC (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) Cheer championships will be held at Norfolk State University on March 8. I watched last years cheer championships and hmm. They could definitely used some guidance in how to run a competition. I get there style is very different from the rest and that is fine. Maybe an all-star team could exhibition there to give them some inspiration :)

Morgan State has won 3 years in a row I believe. It would be great for someone to offer them camps/clinics to help improve their skills. I also know these schools don't always have the funding for such.

Bethune-Cookman College
Coppin State
Howard University
Hampton University
Morgan State University
South Carolina State
North Carolina A & T
Norfolk State University

NSU is my Alma mater. My daughter almost went there too, but decided to stay in Chicago. She was going to cheer there - but I have to say she was a little worried about the style too. She cheered in high school at an inner city Chicago high school; NSU has a similar style. She didn't care for it, and it's not where her strengths are.

Interesting topic - I'll keep watching this thread. This is something my cp struggled with when choosing a college.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Bethune-Cookman College
Coppin State
Howard University
Hampton University
Morgan State University
South Carolina State
North Carolina A & T
Norfolk State University
http://www.meachoops.com/tournament/cheerleading/

The MEAC Tournament is usually held the same weekend we go to UCA, this year its the week before. We will probably check out the cheer competition along with a basketball game.

I would love to go to this comp. I catch it on YouTube when I can. I'm a huge fan of Morgan state I think they have a really good program there. Bethune-cookman should stay away. I Just wish I know if there is anything I could do to lead these teams is a better direction. Maybe showing up and handing out my cards would be a start.

Thinking about attending some of these comps and giving out my cards, what are your thoughts on this @ACEDAD ?

I know this could be tricky because WE (our people) aren't always humble enough to accept help from outsiders, they may see it as an insult @HeresAThought . I just want the programs that want to turn around to turn around. It slightly increase school enrollment, school pride and help develop more attention and money to these teams and programs.

Thinking about attending some of these comps and giving out my cards, what are your thoughts on this @ACEDAD ?

I know this could be tricky because WE (our people) aren't always humble enough to accept help from outsiders, they may see it as an insult @HeresAThought . I just want the programs that want to turn around to turn around. It slightly increase school enrollment, school pride and help develop more attention and money to these teams and programs.

What the h-ll do you mean "we"?

Lol jk.

Anyway. Here's where I bite my tongue about it because I refuse to express my true thoughts or elaborate amongst...."outsiders" (no offense anyone)

Feel free to pm me with any questions or further discussions.

I've thought about this before and I wonder - why do HBCUs have to change their style in order to get "better?" Sacha's older sister went from cheering all star to cheering at Chowan and nearly died in the tryout process. She worked muscles that just weren't used to moving that way.
Personally, I would rather watch their style grow their way than for HBCU to turn into Big 10 cheer.
Furthermore, if some all star or high school choreographers worked with some of their dance choreographers, that could amount to one fierce routine.

Ih, and @HeresAThought - @Just-a-Mom and I have cards. It's ok.

I agree they should keep their style and just work on the skils part (stunts & tumbling, transition etc)

Wow! First, let me say i really haven't been on the board as much lately since my CP started doing college. I currently coach at an HBCU and want to say a few things.

1. I totally agree that there is usually a strong lack of support at most HBCU's of their cheer programs because they do not recognize cheer as a competitive sport! They financially support their basketball and football programs and just expect the cheerleaders to show up. At my school, they provide no funding, but did however buy one uniform for the athletes. Out of their own pockets the girls paid $300 which covered practice wear, shoes, bows, and a few visits from a tumbling coach.

2. The school in return for said uniform purchase expects the girls to perform at volleyball, and girls and boys basketball games (home and away). Also, any other school sponsored function they want a cheerleader at. Unfortunately, we don't have football, which could have been a good thing, i think.

3. I have 12+ years of experience coaching allstar and high school cheer, so college was new to me this year, but i'm a quick learner. Most of my athletes have a cheer background of some sort, so i have no idea what you guys mean about the 'HBCU style'?? I only know the UCA style, NCA style, and allstar style. My kids have received a variety of all my experience. However, I'm not a choreographer, and can't afford to bring one in.

4. We have 3 cheer strips and no tape! I've been fighting with the school to buy me 2 rolls. Now if i wasn't already feeding the girls almost every game, paid for signs and megaphones out of my own pocket already,… i might consider buying the tape, at this point it's the principal! LOL BTW, i've been asking for 4 more rolls to compete the floor, but they look like deer staring at headlights when i mention it??!

5. Southern does have an amazing program and their coach is a great, very helpful guy. But as stated, the few HBCU programs that do have fairly competitive programs are not given their due credit. Our athletic teams compete NAIA/GCAC. I'm familiar with MEAC and SAIC. I agree that both of them support and promote cheer for their athletes, but we're just not there yet. I don't know why??

6. My Cheerios are amazing little sponges that soak up everything they can get! I don't think disrespect is an HBCU thing, cuz high school and college kids in general can show disrespect and discontent when they're bored or not getting their way. Apparently, the last two years at my school before i arrive, the kids had a difficult time committing for the entire year because of lack of coaching, bonding, being allowed to stunt without proper training, and a bunch of other reasons. This yr, i started with 20, lost one who transferred after 1st semester, and 1 taking 18 hrs pre-med and work study this semester. FYI the school only wanted me to have 12-15 girls.

7. Because the university is very particular about their brand, we're only allowed to do certain fundraisers. Most of the ones we're allowed to do are not really profitable revenue producing. Also, by the time we get approval to do a fundraiser, it's almost too late or not practical anymore. We'll keep trying though.

8. @CheerCoachDell since you're around he corner from us (we're in NOLA) we'd love for you to come and do clinics, camps, choreo, or anything else you think would help us be more competitive and grow our program!! There are several underfunded/NOT funded HBCU's in our area and yes, we're all in the same boat. 'We' have no problem accepting genuine help from someone sincerely doing it for the right reasons.

FYI anyone want to donate 2 -4" rolls of tape, a cheer mat or two, provide a clinic, camp, choreo, music, bows…. whatever! Feel free to private message me! LOL
I have no problem accepting a handout. Let me add, i get a stipend of $4,400 from the school for 25+ hours per week commitment from August until April. SO, i def don't do this for the money. #iluvtocoachcheer, #iluvmycheerios

i have no idea what you guys mean about the 'HBCU style'?? I only know the UCA style, NCA style, and allstar style.

I'm on a phone, so I don't know if the link will work, but this video. Start around :55. That's what people mean (I think you really do know this, but here it is anyway).

ETA I realize this is a game not a competition, but you'd still have to want/be able to do this to make the squad, whether competition routines are like this or not.

I'm on a phone, so I don't know if the link will work, but this video. Start around :55. That's what people mean (I think you really do know this, but here it is anyway).

ETA I realize this is a game not a competition, but you'd still have to want/be able to do this to make the squad, whether competition routines are like this or not.

Pretty sure those are 'Band Dances' which everyone does some form of at some point?? But yeah i know what you mean. Considering the theme was 'Krunk' it's right up there with 'Twerking' which everyone is doing now. BTW my Cheerios don't Krunk or Twerk at games or anywhere where else.

I thought we were referring to competition style which is why i said NCA, UCA, and all star. Not necessary a current dance trend. I've seen HBCU teams competition videos in which you will not see Krunking or Twerking!

Back