College Historically Black College And University Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Pretty sure those are 'Band Dances' which everyone does some form of at some point?? But yeah i know what you mean. Considering the theme was 'Krunk' it's right up there with 'Twerking' which everyone is doing now. BTW my Cheerios don't Krunk or Twerk at games or anywhere where else.

I thought we were referring to competition style which is why i said NCA, UCA, and all star. Not necessary a current dance trend. I've seen HBCU teams competition videos in which you will not see Krunking or Twerking!
They may be band dances, but I couldn't do that if I tried! Plus, band dances are still a huge part of a cheerleading team. So the problem there is, there may be very skilled cheerleaders that would either 1. not make the team or 2. not want to try out for the team, because that type of band dance doesn't fall within the "typical" cheerleader's set of skills.

They may be band dances, but I couldn't do that if I tried! Plus, band dances are still a huge part of a cheerleading team. So the problem there is, there may be very skilled cheerleaders that would either 1. not make the team or 2. not want to try out for the team, because that type of band dance doesn't fall within the "typical" cheerleader's set of skills.

Not trying to argue the point however, my school doesn't have a band, so we don't do band dances! We have a pom and dance team that perform in the stands when the DJ plays music during the time outs or breaks. Their dances are still very well choreographed dances that would normally be performed with a band. My Cheerios cheer, tumble, jump, and stunt on the sidelines.

Personally i don't Krunk or Twerk either, so again, it's still a matter of what coaches allow their teams to do. I'd hate to take isolated performance situations and label them as a 'Cheer style'. But again, anyone who want's to offer their professional experience to assisting my HBCU athletes to be more competitive is totally welcome!

HBCU cheerleading does have a distinct stomp and shake style. Precision oriented, but lets me real there is still some shaking, squating and thrusting. Not in a raunchy way, but in their particular type of style type of way. visit HBCUCheer on instagram for brief examples....

When I coached I had a hard time helping them with those type of cheers beyond "Girl in the back you're off beat....could you not?"

I did drill motions into them. I did force them to learn typical basketball support- defense and offense type cheers.

I did forbid them from doing toe touch split land bounces. They just don't seem safe to me...or necessary.... or current....

I got absolutely no stipend. The expected me to work 9-5 and then coach 6-8 M-Th. For free.

Those girls felt like they could tell me when and where and what time they were going to practice. Which is part of why I quit (one of them blew up my cell phone with that foolishness and I was like #ByeFelicia). It really was unfortunate for,them because for a free coach, the cheer connections and skills (bow making) that I had, could have benefited them immensely.

I will go to my grave talking about the foolishness and bs I witnessed at that University...but for just an example. They "wanted" new uniforms. They didn't NEED new uniforms. AFTER I quit, they purchased new uniforms from a vendor. To this day (mind you I left the university a over a year ago and quit coaching cheer nearly over two years ago) since they used my email address a LEGIT BILL COLLECTOR contacted me wanting the money for the uniforms they never paid for. I. Kid. You. Not.

But yeah, everyone's experience dealing with an HBCU in any capacity is going to be different. However as a result of mine I will never work at one again, I will never coach at one again, and personally I wouldn't send a NYC sewer rat to the one I worked at for an education.

Live and learn

Like honestly If I shared what I truly endured at that school yall would die laughing

If I shared my resignation letter you would come back to life and then fall out again

Last edited:
HBCU cheerleading does have a distinct stomp and shake style. Precision oriented, but lets me real there is still some shaking, squating and thrusting. Not in a raunchy way, but in their particular type of style type of way. visit HBCUCheer on instagram for brief examples....

When I coached I had a hard time helping them with those type of cheers beyond "Girl in the back you're off beat....could you not?"

I did drill motions into them. I did force them to learn typical basketball support- defense and offense type cheers.

I did forbid them from doing toe touch split land bounces. They just don't seem safe to me...or necessary.... or current....

I got absolutely no stipend. The expected me to work 9-5 and then coach 6-8 M-Th. For free.

Those girls felt like they could tell me when and where and what time they were going to practice. Which is part of why I quit (one of them blew up my cell phone with that foolishness and I was like #ByeFelicia). It really was unfortunate for,them because for a free coach, the cheer connections and skills (bow making) that I had, could have benefited them immensely.

I will go to my grave talking about the foolishness and bs I witnessed at that University...but for just an example. They "wanted" new uniforms. They didn't NEED new uniforms. AFTER I quit, they purchased new uniforms from a vendor. To this day (mind you I left the university a over a year ago and quit coaching cheer nearly over two years ago) since they used my email address a LEGIT BILL COLLECTOR contacted me wanting the morning for the uniforms they never paid for. I. Kid. You. Not.

But yeah, everyone's experience dealing with an HBCU in any capacity is going to be different. However as a result of mine I will never work at one again, I will never coach at one again, and personally I would send a NYC sewer rat to the one I worked at for an education.

Live and learn

Like honestly If I shared what I truly endured at that school yall would die laughing

If I shared my resignation letter you would come back to life and then fall out again

i died laughing already! PLz pm what school?? Not that it matters, cuz you're right i know they are all different yet VERY similar!!

I loved watching Southern BR when I was growing up. Their coach was my middle schools coach unfortunately I wasnt interested at the time but he is also my nephew assistant principle. Great guy and most HBCU schools dont consider cheerleading a sport or pay any attention to them which is sad.

This discussion has prompted me to look at other hbcu's cheer programs like winston Salem states team on Instagram (wssucheer)

Like. Chilleeee I can't. The kind of commitment it takes to do one, single cheer. All that d-mn effort.

No. Couldn't be me.

They'd be like "Where's Erin"

And I'd be like ".....chillin at concessions. Y'all got this!"

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Annnnd the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff has squad tumbling and what I saw of their running tumbling was quite good. (The handsprings and tucks...even their lay outs weren't that bad). They really should be at NCA in the intermediate division but I don't think they will get to compete. For financial reasons I bet. Waste of talent for them to not be able to go to college nationals. So much potential there

Wow! First, let me say i really haven't been on the board as much lately since my CP started doing college. I currently coach at an HBCU and want to say a few things.

1. I totally agree that there is usually a strong lack of support at most HBCU's of their cheer programs because they do not recognize cheer as a competitive sport! They financially support their basketball and football programs and just expect the cheerleaders to show up. At my school, they provide no funding, but did however buy one uniform for the athletes. Out of their own pockets the girls paid $300 which covered practice wear, shoes, bows, and a few visits from a tumbling coach.

2. The school in return for said uniform purchase expects the girls to perform at volleyball, and girls and boys basketball games (home and away). Also, any other school sponsored function they want a cheerleader at. Unfortunately, we don't have football, which could have been a good thing, i think.

3. I have 12+ years of experience coaching allstar and high school cheer, so college was new to me this year, but i'm a quick learner. Most of my athletes have a cheer background of some sort, so i have no idea what you guys mean about the 'HBCU style'?? I only know the UCA style, NCA style, and allstar style. My kids have received a variety of all my experience. However, I'm not a choreographer, and can't afford to bring one in.

4. We have 3 cheer strips and no tape! I've been fighting with the school to buy me 2 rolls. Now if i wasn't already feeding the girls almost every game, paid for signs and megaphones out of my own pocket already,… i might consider buying the tape, at this point it's the principal! LOL BTW, i've been asking for 4 more rolls to compete the floor, but they look like deer staring at headlights when i mention it??!

5. Southern does have an amazing program and their coach is a great, very helpful guy. But as stated, the few HBCU programs that do have fairly competitive programs are not given their due credit. Our athletic teams compete NAIA/GCAC. I'm familiar with MEAC and SAIC. I agree that both of them support and promote cheer for their athletes, but we're just not there yet. I don't know why??

6. My Cheerios are amazing little sponges that soak up everything they can get! I don't think disrespect is an HBCU thing, cuz high school and college kids in general can show disrespect and discontent when they're bored or not getting their way. Apparently, the last two years at my school before i arrive, the kids had a difficult time committing for the entire year because of lack of coaching, bonding, being allowed to stunt without proper training, and a bunch of other reasons. This yr, i started with 20, lost one who transferred after 1st semester, and 1 taking 18 hrs pre-med and work study this semester. FYI the school only wanted me to have 12-15 girls.

7. Because the university is very particular about their brand, we're only allowed to do certain fundraisers. Most of the ones we're allowed to do are not really profitable revenue producing. Also, by the time we get approval to do a fundraiser, it's almost too late or not practical anymore. We'll keep trying though.

8. @CheerCoachDell since you're around he corner from us (we're in NOLA) we'd love for you to come and do clinics, camps, choreo, or anything else you think would help us be more competitive and grow our program!! There are several underfunded/NOT funded HBCU's in our area and yes, we're all in the same boat. 'We' have no problem accepting genuine help from someone sincerely doing it for the right reasons.

FYI anyone want to donate 2 -4" rolls of tape, a cheer mat or two, provide a clinic, camp, choreo, music, bows…. whatever! Feel free to private message me! LOL
I have no problem accepting a handout. Let me add, i get a stipend of $4,400 from the school for 25+ hours per week commitment from
August until April. SO, i def don't do this for the money. #iluvtocoachcheer, #iluvmycheerios

I would love yo come help out!!

Congrats to Miles wining the SIAC cheer comp this year!

The Fierce Board: if a team cheers and isn't talked about, does it still get a medal?

CP & I attended the MEAC Cheer competition yesterday. It was much better than last years. Glad to see the change made from the year before, made the competition more enjoyable.

Morgan State University won Overall & All Girl.. They definitely earned it. You can tell from their routine they hired a choreographer & have a very talented coach. Routine was executed well and they have squad tumbling which for the MEAC conference teams is missing. Music for their routine was done professionally.

FAMU, South Carolina State & Hampton University & Savannah State were good competitions. You can see the improvement of how routines were executed this year vs. last year.

A few of the local Norfolk High schools, Middle & REC performed exhibition. Norfolk State University also were exhibition.

My only complaint was during awards when placements were announced the competitors on the floor who did not place top 3 did NOT clap for any teams who did. Horrible sportsmanship, it was written all over everyone's face and painfully obvious!

I first want to say that I cheered for Tuskegee University for a few years and I know that my coach had a hard time getting the money for us to be able to travel to various events that we had to perform at. I can also say that people sleep on some of the HBCU cheer teams. There area lot of great teams out here and I feel that they could compete on a national level. Now for these other teams, they really need help. I would love to work with some of the unprivileged teams to become better.

Joseph Moore
Cheer coach/future personal trainer

CP & I attended the MEAC Cheer competition yesterday. It was much better than last years. Glad to see the change made from the year before, made the competition more enjoyable.

Morgan State University won Overall & All Girl.. They definitely earned it. You can tell from their routine they hired a choreographer & have a very talented coach. Routine was executed well and they have squad tumbling which for the MEAC conference teams is missing. Music for their routine was done professionally.

FAMU, South Carolina State & Hampton University & Savannah State were good competitions. You can see the improvement of how routines were executed this year vs. last year.

A few of the local Norfolk High schools, Middle & REC performed exhibition. Norfolk State University also were exhibition.

My only complaint was during awards when placements were announced the competitors on the floor who did not place top 3 did NOT clap for any teams who did. Horrible sportsmanship, it was written all over everyone's face and painfully obvious!

Morgan State has been good for some time now. I'm glad to see they are continuing that tradition, they have a good program out there.

Savannah State has been working hard too. They had both coed and all girl at CHEERSPORT they did really well.

I'm excited to see these routines someone usually post them on youtube.

Back