College Historically Black College And University Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I really would like to know what was the format for these competition routines. I have seen better routines performed by middle school/junior high and HS.

Joseph Moore
Cheer coach/future personal trainer

I just did the most to get in this thread.

I'm a high school senior who has been accepted to two HBCUs, Spelman and Hampton. Spelman is being heavily considered but I know Spelman doesn't have a cheer team, but there is an option to cheer at Clark.

But do I want to? My high school team is one of those teams that can be the typical sideline squad that's motion oriented, but during basketball season we have many cheers that HBCUs are known for. We are by no means are like the Woo Woos (my mom was one), it's funny because when we went to bball states we saw some of those southern VA teams cheer just like them and my teammates (mostly black might I add) were shocked. I was reminded that this is what I'd be signing up for.

I have the cheer skills for these teams, but is it really worth it if all I'm doing is bouncing for the whole game?

I don't think these teams should change their style, but they should also realize that dancing and sideline doesn't help win comps. My hs team has learned this. It's okay to shake but when on the blue mat there is a scoresheet that should be looked at during choreo. But that's hard when sometime black athletes, for whatever reason, don't want to pay for improvement (also an issue on my hs team). And everyone knows how raggedy funding from HBCUs can be.

I just did the most to get in this thread.

I'm a high school senior who has been accepted to two HBCUs, Spelman and Hampton. Spelman is being heavily considered but I know Spelman doesn't have a cheer team, but there is an option to cheer at Clark.

But do I want to? My high school team is one of those teams that can be the typical sideline squad that's motion oriented, but during basketball season we have many cheers that HBCUs are known for. We are by no means are like the Woo Woos (my mom was one), it's funny because when we went to bball states we saw some of those southern VA teams cheer just like them and my teammates (mostly black might I add) were shocked. I was reminded that this is what I'd be signing up for.

I have the cheer skills for these teams, but is it really worth it if all I'm doing is bouncing for the whole game?

I don't think these teams should change their style, but they should also realize that dancing and sideline doesn't help win comps. My hs team has learned this. It's okay to shake but when on the blue mat there is a scoresheet that should be looked at during choreo. But that's hard when sometime black athletes, for whatever reason, don't want to pay for improvement (also an issue on my hs team). And everyone knows how raggedy funding from HBCUs can be.

I thought Spelman girls cheered at Morehouse? At least back in my day (I graduated from college in '07) the girls I knew at Spelman cheered at Morehouse...so this could have changed over the years. Or maybe they cheered for Clark and Morehouse...but I only saw pics of them in Morehouse uniforms.

I thought Spelman girls cheered at Morehouse? At least back in my day (I graduated from college in '07) the girls I knew at Spelman cheered at Morehouse...so this could have changed over the years. Or maybe they cheered for Clark and Morehouse...but I only saw pics of them in Morehouse uniforms.

I'm not quite sure, my research showed both Morehouse cheer and Spelman cheer, the MH team being larger. I know Spelman got rid of it's athletic teams within the last year.

I'm not quite sure, my research showed both Morehouse cheer and Spelman cheer, the MH team being larger. I know Spelman got rid of it's athletic teams within the last year.

The Spelman ladies still cheer for Morehouse...it hasn't changed. I thought that they would've competed in this competition.

Joseph Moore

The Spelman ladies still cheer for Morehouse...it hasn't changed. I thought that they would've competed in this competition.

Joseph Moore

If they competed it would sweeten the deal if I were to choose Spelman. Waiting to hear back from two more schools, one being a top choice.

I could be totally off base but think Morgan State is one of the best HBCU cheer squads, but look at where it's located. I know the school gets a lot of local students and I wonder how many girls are from the DMV area and have cheered on some of the many gyms in the area like Crimson Heat, Dream, Twisters ect. Or for some of the great HS programs like Gwynn Park.

I could be totally off base but think Morgan State is one of the best HBCU cheer squads, but look at where it's located. I know the school gets a lot of local students and I wonder how many girls are from the DMV area and have cheered on some of the many gyms in the area like Crimson Heat, Dream, Twisters ect. Or for some of the great HS programs like Gwynn Park.

I agree with you they are my favorite all girl HBCU team..

Your theory maybe correct, seems like that area has a lot of talent to pull from.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

They were good....but still sloppy and I was disappointed in their jumps.

Lots of potential there.

I agree with you they are my favorite all girl HBCU team..

Your theory maybe correct, seems like that area has a lot of talent to pull from.

Yes there are several programs that feed into Morgan's recruiting pool in the DMV. MD Twisters, Dream, Crown Athletics, Crimson Heat, All-star Legacy, Nitros, and many others...there are also quite a few exceptional HS Cheer programs in the area as well.

Back