Homecoming 2019..what Does Your School Typically Do ?

Discussion in 'High School Cheerleading' started by Mer_bear20, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I thought it would be kinda fun to see what other high schools typically do during homecoming week. Like, do you have a different theme for each day, have a parade or pep rally the day of the homecoming?

So this year at my school our themes for this year are
    - Frat boy/ Sorority girl day aka vineyard vines and preppy.
    -decades day (1920ish - early 2000's)
    -90's cartoon/tv show character day (my twin sister and I have already decided on phil and lil, debby and eliza thornberry, or dw and arthur )
    -vsco day (kinda basic if you ask me)
    -school spirit and mums day( if you have never lived in Texas, you probably wouldn't understand the mum thing...bc sometimes I dont. )

On Thursday before the homecoming game we have a huge bonfire and community pep rally. This is were one of the senior girls(fingers crossed it's my best friend aka my twin, but shes hoping its me) gets crowned homecoming queen. Yes, I know getting crowned at the pep rally is not typical, but this is more so for parade purposes and it's a tradition at our school to be crowned at the community pep rally.

On the day of the game we have a community pep rally, where all the schools in our town get involved and participate, as well as a bunch of the local businesses. Each grade level all have a float in the parade ( pre-k all the way through 12th.) This is always a half day of classes and really just a day school spirit and fun. The girls who are on homecoming court, and the senior girl who won homecoming queen all ride on classic convertible cars.

For the game we have this tradition of all the cheerleaders(9th, JV, and varsity squads) all cheer at the game. Instead of wearing one of current uniforms we wear our 1950s style uniform, complete with the sweaters, pleated skirts, and even the saddle locks. The sweaters are very simply they have a megaphone on them and our schools letter on top of the megaphone, our names are in our school letter( we actually get to keep these uniforms, and the coach makes a memory box/frame for all the seniors)

We have a homecoming dance on Saturday night! I'll even post pics of the 3 dresses I am torn between if you guys would like to see them.

2. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Your Homecoming activities sound like so much fun lol. I wish mine had been like that. My school did certain things but the community never got involved or anything like that.

We’d do class color days where every class was assigned a color and whichever one wore it best or most creatively won a prize for the whole class (like an ice cream social during lunch or something). Also decades day, pajama day, cowboy day, etc.

We always had the Homecoming rally on the Friday afternoon before the game, and then on Friday night the cheerleaders got to stand on their cheer boxes for sidelines. And instead of making just our regular sign for the football players to run through, we made one full of balloons. Which took forever, but always got a good reaction from the crowd.

During the game, the Homecoming court was announced at halftime and then the dance on Saturday. Which overall was treated as a more “casual” event than senior prom or winter ball (shorter cocktail dresses instead of gowns), but still super fun.

3. Lisa Seye

Lisa Seye I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Our school has a ceremony on the Friday before homecoming where all the candidates get dressed up in formals and get presented to the school in the gym. Then thefollowing week, kids all vote. Each day has a theme that the kids dress up in different themes, Disney day, twin day, etc. They have a student teacher softball game during that week as well. Then on Thursday, there is a parade and bonfire with a DJ and sort of like tailgating atmosphere. Then on that following Friday, they have the halftime presentation and announcements of the winners. But there is NO homecoming dance. It's so weird. They said they stopped having a dance because the kids weren't interested. So the only time they dress in formal wear is for the 1 to 2 hour presentation in the gym the Friday before. But middle schools here have homecoming and a dance.

4. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    The two middle schools in my town also have homecoming and a dance. When I tell most people that they look at me like I am crazy.

5. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    For our homecoming... everyone looses their mind for two weeks.
    Kids literally stress themselves out over float themes, lunchtime activities and dress choices, friendships are in disarray because of who is chosen and who is not chosen- for some reason this always happens to be the SAME week kids are hit hard with exams and a load of homework and grade checks are out so we literally have kids crying in a ball because their world is falling apart-
    Every year- least favorite time for us...
    P.S. It also so happens to be right around our county fair time ... so we have kids showing livestock (getting up at ungodly hours) and kids catching all sorts of fun fair illnesses.
    There is no “Fun” in homecoming - I am the Homecoming Grinch (it became official this year for me)

6. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    They really are alot of fun! I love going to school where the whole community loves getting involved with homecoming and other school activities.

7. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Homecoming fascinates me. We simply don't have it, or anything in comparison where I live. No dance, no cheer events, most of our high school cheerleaders don't even cheer at games, they're strictly competitive.

Maybe because high school football is almost non existent outside of our capitol city. A few rural towns have teams, but most towns are so small they just don't have the athletes to make it happen. We have one for our "area" that the league has allowed to operate as a school team, but it has less than 15 athletes.

But, that's Canada for you, we're more hockey based :)

8. MOPSMommy1

MOPSMommy1 When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I love Homecoming Week! We have a different dress up day Monday-Friday and it’s districtwide. It’s also based around a theme. Usually there is a pajama day, tacky tourist day, hick day, class color day, etc. It’s fun to see pictures of whole families dressed up for spirit day since all the grades participate. On Wednesday evening we have Coronation. This is where the senior princes and princesses are interviewed by a panel, and the Duke & Duchess and King & Queen are crowned. There used to be a Thursday night bonfire, but they haven’t done that in years. On Friday there is a pep assembly during school, followed by a parade downtown in the early evening. Each elementary school has a float, the middle school has a float and then there are a bunch of club, class and sport floats from the HS. The royalty all rides in the float, too. That evening there is the football game, with a mini parade at halftime to present the royalty and the class competition floats. Saturday night is the Homecoming Dance. It is a more semi-formal dance; cocktail dresses for the girls and slacks and vest/tie/suspenders for the guys. Of course the two weeks leading up to the dance there are tons of Hoco Proposals, which are usually fun and not too over the top (like Promposals). It’s a small town so Homecoming brings out generations of family members who all went to the same school to celebrate. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Your school/school district sounds so much like mine when it comes to homecoming! We had our dance last night, and it’s a formal type dance(most girls wear the short style dresses.) Its hard to believe though that my senior year homecoming has already came and gone.

10. LittleMissA17

LittleMissA17 When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Homecoming week was always a fun time. We'd always have theme dress up days and a pep rally friday night. Then we'd have several games on Saturday, though the most popular would obviously be the football game.

We didn't go super far in terms of the homecoming court, just have a king and queen that was presented at the football game, and my school didn't have a homecoming dance either.