OT How Do You Deal With Stess?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
Being a college taking 18 hours, working 2 jobs, being on a world team and getting ready to apply to programs....my life is stressful at the moment. Plus I get no sleep basically. I work well under pressure but lately I have so much anxiety about competing. I think I bit off a lil more then I can chew when it comes to school..

ETA (but it was too late)

My senior year I had an internship, a job, an open team, but only 12 hours of classes because I'd overloaded on classes my soph-junior years. However some days (I interned for the promotions dept at a major radio station) I'd have to be at my internship at 4am, then class, then work. I wasn't stressed but I felt like I wasn't having enough time to hang out with friends and be a senior in college. I knew I needed a job because I needed money. I knew I needed an internship to pad my resume for like post college. I knew I needed 12 hours of classes to be a full time student. I also knew I wanted more time to be with my friends and make memories to look back on and "remember when we did something incredibly foolish and dumb just really fun". I dropped cheer. It was fun but at the end of the day I didn't need it and it didn't benefit my transition into adulthood. All of that stuff meant more to me than being on an open team. Quitting the open team gave me time ti move around my obligations for a personal life. We need a personal life in order to feel sane, no?

You have to prioritize and establish if all of your obligations and commitments are really worth it.

I think you definitely need to take some time to calm down, take a hot bath or shower, eat some chocolate, and figure things out! Make a priority list and decide what you really need. It sounds like you have a lot going on.

I guess you are taking too many responsibilities at the same time. my solution for you is (just like everyone has already said) making priority list (which one is more important). if you are still unsure about which one is more important, then you should follow and listen to what your heart says. i always do this when i am in situation that i am confused to choose between two things that i really like :) it always works well, trust me :)

Food helps me with stress a lot. Which is bad.
But running helps even more.
So I guess it balances out?
I really recommend long runs when stressed out. Physically and mentally it just makes everything feel better.
Good luck with everything :)

Two things I swear by when it comes to help with anxiety:
-Pilates/yoga are miracles for anxiety. I prefer pilates because I like the core work; but just make sure you focus on the breathing for each position/exercise. It helps so much!
-Lavender essential oils. Lavender is known for its calming effects and it smells great. Dr. Teals makes a lavender epsom salt that is amazingggggggggg for stress-relieving bath.

She also forgot to mention she drives from Longview to Dallas...on top of everything else!
I would back off the amount of credits you take. If you finish in 2 years or 4 years, the degree is the same at the end. I also know you love ETAS but it might be worth seeing if CA will hire you, that way your work and your team are in one stop. I know Tommy was looking for someone to run the pro shop part time also.
As one of your surrogate cheer moms I really would hate for you to have to drop Ladycatz...this is your first shot at getting a Worlds medal and you deserve it!

I feel ya girlfriend. I have had 18 credits every semester since freshman year, and am a double major with AT and spanish. I have to do clinicals for AT and put in nearly 25 hours a week, on top of 18 credits, 2 jobs, cheer practice and games. yes, it gets overwhelming. but it's not impossible.
sometimes you just need to take a step back, and breathe. find something to do that you love to do just for kicks and giggles. me, its making collages. something that is so mindless, yet it takes your mind off of all the chaos in the world. I also really like to run. when I'm stressed, I literally run the stress out of me. I will go until I can go no more. Some days I only have to do a mile and I'm good, there's days I will run 12 miles. I just put in my head phones, blast some angry music, and go.
I always thought detox baths sounded silly and stupid, but one of my certifieds actually suggested it to me because she knows I stress out alot and it was literally making me sick. It really does help. I just would take one with epsom salts and baking soda, but you can add oils and such too. I just made a hot bath, put the stuff in, put on some relaxing pandora, and laid there. when you are stressed enough, you can literally feel it leave your body. I'll normally take them once a week on sundays.
I am the worst with it, but I do tend to eat when I'm stressed. now, stressful eating can be a good thing though. I told you I would get so stressed I would get sick. so if you want to eat your stress away, do it with healthy food. take your stress out on cooking. I like to play on pinterest to find fun, fast, and cheap college kid meals that are healthy. I've realized that in and of itself helps take my mind off things. I also have grown a new liking for baking :)
This might sound silly, but sometimes all you need is a good cry. When I'm so stressed I think I'm going to crack, I'll come home, cuddle up with a pillow pet, and just let it out. believe it or not that clears my mind, gets it put back on straight.
This might sound weird too, but sometimes when I'm really stressed, I'll just curl up in my boyfriend's lap like a baby lol sometimes you need that one person that will hold you and tell you its gonna be okay. cuddling works wonders. doesn't have to be a boyfriend. a mom, roomate, any of them will suffice.
now doing something productive to help with stress. I like to make to do lists. It really helps me prioritize what needs done when, and what is actually worth stressing out about. I also take full advantage of post it notes, I'll put them everywhere. It's just a matter of finding out how to get all your ducks in a row. no one ever said it would be easy, but it isn't impossible :)

Back