How Do You Guys Grip A Liberty???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 21, 2011
This may sound weird...but how to you SIDE bases grip doing a liberty?
Cuz I've seen so many different kinds... and which one do you prefer, how does it help you etc...
I'm mainly asking 'bout the side bases since I'm one, but main bases and back spots can as well tell how they grip :p

This may sound weird...but how to you SIDE bases grip doing a liberty?
Cuz I've seen so many different kinds... and which one do you prefer, how does it help you etc...
I'm mainly asking 'bout the side bases since I'm one, but main bases and back spots can as well tell how they grip :p

We teach the secondary's grip so the right hand is under the middle of the flyer's foot (between the main's hands) and then the left hand is "sandwiching the foot" with the thumb under the foot so it rests between the palm of the right hand and the bottom of the shoe. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

We do it the same way. I find it the most effective. It helps with stability. However, there isn't one "right way". But I like that grip the best also!

JulieP I like that "sandwiching" we always say like you are holding a hamburger. :)

We teach the secondary's grip so the right hand is under the middle of the flyer's foot (between the main's hands) and then the left hand is "sandwiching the foot" with the thumb under the foot so it rests between the palm of the right hand and the bottom of the shoe. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
We do the same except we don't put out thumb under the shoe... instead it is on the side of the foot connected to the other thumb.

Then I've seen some who instead of putting there hand on top os the shoe, hold the main bases wrist?

I hold the main bases wrist. People always talk about how sandwiching controls the foot, but I find that it does the opposite. Think about it. Put your hands up like you're side basing a lib. The left hand is lower than the right hand, right? So, if your top hand is actually lower than the hand under the foot, won't that cause you to pull the flyer's foot down and ultimately roll her foot in towards the arch?

I hold the main bases wrist. People always talk about how sandwiching controls the foot, but I find that it does the opposite. Think about it. Put your hands up like you're side basing a lib. The left hand is lower than the right hand, right? So, if your top hand is actually lower than the hand under the foot, won't that cause you to pull the flyer's foot down and ultimately roll her foot in towards the arch?
u may have a point, though I've never tried holding that way... We let our front spot (when we use a front spot...) grip the wrist. But don't u find it harder to adjust the flyers foot when you're not even holding it?

u may have a point, though I've never tried holding that way... We let our front spot (when we use a front spot...) grip the wrist. But don't u find it harder to adjust the flyers foot when you're not even holding it?

I'm hold it with my right hand and am able to adjust from there.

I don't base now, but when I did, I was usually main base, but better as a side lol. I put my right hand underneath the flyer's foot and gripped it really tight. My left hand was on the left side of the foot and my fingers held the top. Hopefully that made sense lol..

Back