How Do You Notify The Tryout Candidates That They Made/didn't Make It?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 9, 2012
First year coach here! My heart is breaking at the thought of making cuts. I hoped that exactly 20 would tryout and there would be no problem... not the case! I do not want to be insensitive and post a list. What are some creative and sensitive ways to let them down gently?

I once read here about writing everyone an email on Friday night. That way they had the whole weekend to "get over it" if they didn't make the team. Whoever was on the team did get the whole list of girls who made it, so the ones who didn't make it wouldn't face the awkward question of "did you make it" the Monday after in school.
Instead of writing mails you could also give them an envelope to open at home.

I agree, posting it online or in an email is the best way. Any way that gives people the time to be upset in their own home instead of before math class

In high school, we were all called back into the tryout room one by one afterwards and they would tell us what team we made (or didn't make). And they would usually give some sort of comment of what they liked (Mine was that the judges were very impressed with my high standing tuck :p)or what they would like to see you improve on for next year, if you didn't make the team, or if you made JV and you wanted Varsity they would tell you why.

For college, about two weeks after the final tryouts we got emails that had the subject "Tryout letter" and it said something like, here is your attached tryout letter, if you have an questions ask me. Then there was a letter that was attached that said Congrats, blah blah blah. I'm assuming the one for people that didn't make it said something along the lines of "We had a very talented group of girls tryout, but unfortunately we are not able to offer you a spot on the team at the time blah blah blah"

Back