All-Star How Do You Tell Your Coach You're Leaving?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
As some of you may know, I had a dilemma about whether to do allstar this year or cheer for my school on varsity. After a lot of thought and prayer I decided allstar was best for me in a lot of ways. One, I will always have a set number of practices on a set number of days, not every day of the week until friday when we have games. Two, I picked up a lot of bad habits from the girls around me. Plus the fact that they didn't give 110% of themselves and that's what I was used to. Three, allstar was better for my schedule in school and I would have a lot more time.

So now, how do I tell my coach my decision. Yes, some of you may say just don't try out and she'll figure it out, but I love my coach and she's like a big sister. She was already counting on me for the team next year. Should I tell her I'm doing allstar and not high school or should I just leave that out?

How have you told coaches you're switching gyms or leaving your high school team?

You could also write an email or letter. I get too emotional during face to face interactions. I have a hard time saying what I want to say. An email, you can take your time. You also can reread it 100 times and make sure you've said everything you want to say before you send it off.

You could also write an email or letter. I get too emotional during face to face interactions. I have a hard time saying what I want to say. An email, you can take your time. You also can reread it 100 times and make sure you've said everything you want to say before you send it off.

I am the same way. I get way too emotional when I'm telling someone something that I know will hurt them, so I often write a letter instead. You could even put in the letter that the reason you're writing is because it was such an emotionally difficult decision for you that you had to write it.

But I agree with @ NJ Coach honesty is best. She is going to find out anyway, and it will be so much less stressful for you if you've been upfront with her.

omg yes i have the same problem its so aggravating!

Every single person from my team last year tried out except for one girl. We are increasing our practice days as we will be a competitive team next year. She can't have less hours at work so she had to choose her job. She came and told my co-coach and me to our face. It was sad and her voice was wavering the entire time, but we really appreciated that she came and told us she wouldn't be trying out.
Honestly I think it's good practice for real life. One day you may have to tell your boss that you love working for that you are transferring or quitting. You may need to tell your boyfriend that you love that you just want to be friends. All of these are so impersonal if they are done in a text or email. At the very least you should call her and tell her.

Please be up front with her and tell her yourself. It is better to hear it from you than to find out through other means, through rumors or on the internet.

I think your best bet is to tell them yourself. @NJ Coach is right, the words you chose earlier are perfect because they are your true feelings. Have the letter as a back-up incase you get emotional.

They should respect you for having the courage and respect for them to talk to deliver the news in person. If they respect you and care for you as much as you do them, they will wish you well. If not, then you will know you did the right thing.

i like the idea of writing it out first, but i think this is a conversation you need to have face to face. it'll show some maturity and give you the chance to exchange facial expressions, so she can see your sincerity. and then all you can do is be completely honest. tell her you loved high school but it's best for you to stick to allstar. maybe she'll let you stay on as an assistant coach and you can be an alternate if they really need someone. again, keep it all honest. and then when you do leave stay out of the drama! girls will talk and rumors may start about why you left, but just keep your head high and let it subside on it's own.

good luck!

Thanks everyone! She works so there isn't anyway I could sit down with her, so I'm going to try my best to write a heartfelt facebook message. I probably would break down in tears if I had to tell her in person. I'll probably end up having to tell my whole team as well. The few that know already want to kill me, so I can't imagine the rest of their reactions. I feel like people think you have to be on every year after you try out and if you don't it's like you're looked down upon. In all honesty, I won't be missed. There is already someone who is going to take my place as flyer and one less tumbler won't change anything either. I just wish it was a whole lot simpler.

My heart breaks for you that you feel like you won't be missed.

Here's a hug for you and I hope telling your coach goes well. (((((Elitepanther))))

Back