How do you tumble faster?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 19, 2010
I fairly new to cheerleading. I started about five months ago. I have a back handspring and a tuck. I can do a round off back handspring back tuck, a standing back handspring tuck and am now working on a standing double back handspring back tuck

I've seen videos of college cheerleaders (I think it was Louisville), where the guy did a standing full, double handspring to double full. And it was SO FAST. Like, literally, the speed at which he was tumbling from a standing position was faster than the speed I have from a power hurdle or round off!

Here's the video, it's in the beginning. It's the guy in the center:

My coach has also wondered how I even make it around since I tumble so slow. I'm really tall, 6 feet 2 inches and weigh about 210. I also stunt, but really want to get my tumbling to be faster because honestly, it just looks cooler, lol.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Squeeze! Especially your core and make sure you're not tumbling flat-footed, tumble on/push through your toes

Also, I'd go to Debbie Loves website, fortheloveoftumbling.com, I think I'm sure there are some great tips on there

I actually just went outside and recorded myself doing what you and some of that website told me to do. It helped a lot. Thanks!

I was a bit scared at how fast I was going...

In running tumbling, heel drive! Kick your back foot up behind you as hard as you can when you go into your roundoff. It will set you off faster and, consequently, everything else following will be faster.

Make sure your arms are by your ears :) it slows down your tumbling if your arms are wide.
Gah, we have a few girls on the team with this problem, except they spread their legs open so wide. I'll let them know. Thanks!
In running tumbling, heel drive! Kick your back foot up behind you as hard as you can when you go into your roundoff. It will set you off faster and, consequently, everything else following will be faster.
Thanks, FIERCE!

I'll try that tomorrow morning. I haven't done any running tumbling lately, don't like it much and it's pretty cold out at night. I hate tumbling in the cold.

Ever since I took you guys' orders. my tumbling has gotten better in a matter of hours! I used to have problems with connecting multiple back handsprings, but now it's a breeze! I'm probably too excited right now. Haha

The advice from everyone is pretty much on key. Tumble on your toes, squeeze you legs together and snap your legs fasteron the ground. Also, running istead of two-stepping gives you more power.

Dude I'm your same size I feel you I'm a stunter tumbling was never my game but I started listening to people like this and it helps so much the best advice that I can give you is if they are better then you listen up cause they know what they are talking about it works in stunting too trust me I compared myself to a guy who doesn't listen and take advice he is still trying to toss to the top like targets and cupies and struggles and I'm no handsping ups and rewinds more elite stuff and I got it from listening to people keep it up brother

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

snaping everything faster helps me..

-Legs snapping down faster ( roundoffs, backhandspring etc...)
-blocking (shurgging shoulders) faster
-i even flick off my wrist to tumble faster
-stay on your toes
-squeeze your arms by your ears
-squeeze your toes

Tumbling uphill works wonders. Set up a big cheese mat or a cheese mat followed by a cheese mat on blocks.

Back