How Does Your Practice Work??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2014
I MAY have potentially found a rec program in the area that's looking for a coach. The cheer portion of this program is new. This would be my first time coaching ever. The position isn't set and stoned yet. However, I decided to apply for the job. I feel like it's one step closer to all star, Which is my long term goal.

I just want to know how you former or current coaches ran the practices, and did what on what days. I spoke with the director of the entire recreation program, he mentioned he wanted us to compete, but I told him that if I got hired I would have to wait until I see the talent level on the team. Before I made such decisions if I get hired. Did I do the right thing?

He's supposed to be getting back with me sometime next week. I was honest about my experience in cheer, he mentioned that since it was just recreational, he's not looking for too much in a coach. So I think I might be getting the job. That being said, I don't want to get my hopes up.

I think you handled that well. Being honest is always the best policy. Do remember that there are typically rec divisions for all skill levels. All star competitions offer rec divisions for levels 1-4, so there's an option for the most inexperienced and the most advanced teams. It's always a good idea to see what type of team you're able to get, but I wouldn't rule out competing even if your team is inexperienced.

Last edited:
Hmm I would be careful though if "owner" is putting on a rec team but he wants to compete. Hoping he doesn't drop that bomb and then leave you to deal with the parents. A lot of parents put their kids in rec cheer because there are no competitions, extra fees, etc.

I MAY have potentially found a rec program in the area that's looking for a coach. The cheer portion of this program is new. This would be my first time coaching ever. The position isn't set and stoned yet. However, I decided to apply for the job. I feel like it's one step closer to all star, Which is my long term goal.

I just want to know how you former or current coaches ran the practices, and did what on what days. I spoke with the director of the entire recreation program, he mentioned he wanted us to compete, but I told him that if I got hired I would have to wait until I see the talent level on the team. Before I made such decisions if I get hired. Did I do the right thing?

He's supposed to be getting back with me sometime next week. I was honest about my experience in cheer, he mentioned that since it was just recreational, he's not looking for too much in a coach. So I think I might be getting the job. That being said, I don't want to get my hopes up.
Honestly, as a former coach I can say it is hard for me to respond with any sort of plan as I have no idea on age, level, or amount of practice each day or week.

Really, I think your best bet is to reach into your memory and draw from your experiences as a cheerleader. think about how your coaches ran things and what drills they did and take the parts you feel worked best and were most productive to use for yourself.

Honestly, as a former coach I can say it is hard for me to respond with any sort of plan as I have no idea on age, level, or amount of practice each day or week.

Really, I think your best bet is to reach into your memory and draw from your experiences as a cheerleader. think about how your coaches ran things and what drills they did and take the parts you feel worked best and were most productive to use for yourself.
Thank you! I would give more information but I don't know much my self as it was just a job application filled out. When I spoke with the director, he was just mentioning some things he wanted for the program since it was new. I didn't even think about asking him about age and what not. I'm sorry.

The rec league itself may have guidelines on how often u can practice. Where I'm at, we're only allowed to practice 2 days a week for 2 hours tops each practice. We also have a squad gymnastics day each week.

Back