How Far Is Too Far To Drive???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2015
We live in a small city about 2.5 hours away from a very large, well known, successful gym. My daughter has been cheering (all star cheer) at her current gym for four years now. She has outgrown the gym and is looking for a more competitive team that she can continue to grow in. She is on a level 3 team (which is great but the highest level they offer) and has level 5 tumbling skills. I knew at some point she would want to go to the bigger gym 2.5 hours away because they have worlds teams and that is her ultimate goal...so how far is too far to drive? She is only 9 and in 4th grade, so if we start driving next season I'll be driving for years until she could drive herself. She is at the gym 5 days a week and totally dedicated to this sport. I want what is best for her to reach her highest potential. However, driving 2.5 hours one way a couple of days a week at minimum is a huge commitment for me. Is 2.5 hours away at 10 years old too much??

Worlds teams usually end up practicing more than twice a week. They call extra practices as needed. The fact that your small gym has taught your CP level 5 tumbling gives me the impression they have knowledgable and quality Coaches. She won't be elgible for a Worlds team until she is 12. If they raise the minimum age it could be even older than that. I would look into it when she is older. Also, I don't know if I would let my 16 year old make that kind of drive back and forth. Athletes usually use the long drives to work on hw and/or sleep. I would worry about a teen following asleep making that drive while juggling everything.

Last edited:
Personally, that is too far for that age/level but if you had families to share the trip with it may be more manageable.

You say 2.5 hrs but is there ever any inclement weather or heavy traffic to contend with that would make it longer?

Why happens if you make the switch and decide the gym doesn't work for you, how does the current gym handle people that leave and try to come back?

**Sometimes I'm a little slow but other times it just takes me a while to get it**

Before committing to a long commute, you may want to find out more about the program - specifically details on practice times. If that "very large, well known, successful gym" is anything like the gym my CP attends, the expectations are the same regardless of age and skill level. Almost all of our teams practice three times a week once school starts and most of those teams practice on Saturday, Sunday, and one week night. Some teams find it easier to add an additional week night practice. Most practices are two hours long with the last practice session ending around 9:00/9:30 pm. During a competition week, it is not unusual to add an additional practice, or two. Factor in a 2.5 hour drive and you are looking at some really long days in the car.....

Along with the other great suggestions suggestions above if you do decide to commit to the larger gym contact them and see if they are any car pooling options in your area.

Along with the other great suggestions suggestions above if you do decide to commit to the larger gym contact them and see if they are any car pooling options in your area.

Yes good idea. I came across by accident Top Gun Miami's carpooling facebook page. Some crazy drives there...

We live in a small city about 2.5 hours away from a very large, well known, successful gym. My daughter has been cheering (all star cheer) at her current gym for four years now. She has outgrown the gym and is looking for a more competitive team that she can continue to grow in. She is on a level 3 team (which is great but the highest level they offer) and has level 5 tumbling skills. I knew at some point she would want to go to the bigger gym 2.5 hours away because they have worlds teams and that is her ultimate goal...so how far is too far to drive? She is only 9 and in 4th grade, so if we start driving next season I'll be driving for years until she could drive herself. She is at the gym 5 days a week and totally dedicated to this sport. I want what is best for her to reach her highest potential. However, driving 2.5 hours one way a couple of days a week at minimum is a huge commitment for me. Is 2.5 hours away at 10 years old too much??

If the drive is too much for your kid is a question only your family can answer. Is she a kid that will still keep up with school even though she'd have some very long days? Would she be willing to give up a lot of social activities for cheer?
You also have to consider the rest of the family. Are there any siblings that need attention? Would you be okay to be away from your significant other (if there is one) for so much time? Or could he/she even make some trips?
Is there an option to take tumbling classes locally even though she'd cheer at the big gym? That could help a lot with the driving time.
I'd also take your kid for a private evaluation of skills to the big gym long before you're ready to make the switch. Even though your kid has level 5 tumbling, does not mean that she is a level 5 athlete. Take into consideration that she also needs to be a level 5 stunter, dancer, jumper, etc. Ask yourself if you'd also make the drive if she makes a level 3/4/5R team at the big gym.

We just tripled our commmute time and although it is no where near 5 hours, we definitely feel the sting of it.

My cp is also 9 and in 4th grade. We do not carpool. She uses the time to study and sometimes sleep.

Cons- The amount of money spent commuting is insane. The wear and tear and need for increased maintnance (like oil changes) also goes up. We find that we need to drive down there for social obligations on our "off" days, wether it be team bonding or a teammate's party.

Tumbling is an issue. We had every intention at tumbling up here at a local gymnastics gym, but CP is making progress at the real gym; so, our amount of days down there have increased and so has the length of time that we are there. She flies, so there is also that extra commitent of being "on-call" when a coach needs to work with her. Finding time to stretch at home is hard too, because we are rarely there. We ended up getting a room down there for back to back days of training like choreo, instead of doing the added driving.

Family- I barely see my husband. Not sure if that is a pro or a con ;)

Schoolwise- we have to be very organized. It is the special "projects" that are killing us. Things that are hard to do in a moving car like creating projects. Practicing for music class in the car is a challenge too. Also, be prepared for a huge jump in your phone bill for data. Both you and she will be using it a lot!

That said, I wouldn't change a thing. She loves it there and her sparkle is back. We have had some amazing conversations in the car . Commuting takes a lot of planning and it will be tough on not only her, but you too. It is a lot of work, but in our case, it is the best decision that we have made.

It depends what is right for your kid and your family.

My daughter is on a youth 3 and has level 5 tumbling (even speciality level 5 tumbling and standing tumbling)

She is 10 years old.

I know I could drive the same distance I'm driving now for a j5 vs a y3 and I could drive and extra hour for probably an even better j5 but I wouldn't do it because those gyms aren't the right fit for us. Our gym even has a restricted 5 and my daughter isn't even on it. Although I know at the other places she would definitely make it. I would not do it.

So I hope that if you do decide to make the drive it isn't just because it's a mega gym. I hope you have done your research and know it's the gym for you.

My friend drives 4 hours one way for her daughter to be at a large gym. She is a level 4 athlete and made their j4. She would of likely made our level 4 had she of stayed here. She is 10 years old and the daughter is now home schooled so it works for them and that family. Although it works for them it wouldn't work for us. Only you know how this would work for y'all. Just do your research and hope for the best. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would never drive that far for cheer! But that is me. U have to do what is right for you and your family only, not anyone else.

I tried to make that drive last season when CP would have been 11 for the cheer season and she made an R5 team (and two more if she wanted) but we said only one team for that year. Anyway, I don't think I would have done it at nine though. Turned out that we had to withdraw because our cars were old haha and couldn't take all that travel. It was also 2.5 hours one way on a good traffic day. She was brokenhearted when she had to withdraw. I was broken hearted for her. Then she was gymless for a year. The longest year on record lol. We saved up and finally got a new car (used but in great condition) and took her to a closer satellite gym of this larger gym. Same gym name but closer. 1.5 hours one way. She is happy and so am I. Financially we can do it but the miles rack up quick. I don't mind driving. I love the time with her. She either naps or does homework and is still able to do some extracurricular activities at school. We both still have dreams of getting back to the main gym but realize that where we are right now is the best fit for our family. We Love our coaches and the parents there. Bottom line, no matter what you think the financial cost, it is always more than you planned for and if you aren't prepared like we were, someone may end up gymless and broken hearted. My advice would be to get everything lined out and plan for more expense than you think. And get a good reliable car lol I would also wait a year or two but that is just one person's opinion. :) Whatever u decide, good luck! :)

It has to be said: just because level 3 is the highest level at your current gym THIS season, that doesn't mean that will be the case NEXT season. Smaller gyms often find that it is difficult to grow higher level teams as the athletes that they have trained from a forward roll to a full move on to the "large, well known, successful gym."

I'm not saying that you should stay somewhere that doesn't fit your child's needs out of a sense of loyalty. Rather, if the gym has successfully trained your CP to obtain higher level skills, you might want to consider seeing what they might be able to offer next year - you may be pleasantly surprised.

You could be looking at 9 more seasons of cheer (age 10-18). Once you make the move to the bigger gym it might feel hard to move back (if the commute gets too much). I would delay it at least for a couple of more years until it feels absolutely necessary?

@mamabear 's post and other post have some great points. Now that I think about it, I guess it really does depend on your specific situation. Last season we drove 1 1/2 hours one way for WE. I decided being a single mom of 3, with one adding HS Cheer and my Son not being involved in Cheer it was too much. Now we miss it a ton and drive down once a week for classes.

Back