How Far Is Too Far To Drive???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm on year 6 with 2 more to go! 160 miles each way!
Practice is 3x a week. We have a carpool but its a huge lifechanger for the entire family! My Cp gets up at 6 am. Starts school at 7. Stays after school until 3 ( for homework purposes... the bus is 45 minute ride) I get her at 3 and give her a packed meal to eat and her cheer bag. I drive her to the carpool drop off. She sits in the car from 3 to whenever they arrive for a 7 pm practice. We need to go through NYC metro traffic to get to the gym which has taken up to 4 hours plus on a bad traffic day.
I then pick her up around 11:30-12 midnight from carpool drop off.
Add in competitions that are Fri-monday plane rides and I'm ready for the funny farm! I really don't know how cp functions and maintains great grades, a part tine job ( only on Wednedays) and Crossfit 2x a week.
Is it terrible i tried talking CP into trying to graduate a year early just so we can take a year off of this gruling schedule?
She didnt go for it lol.

I would say an hour max. If you CP really wants to do it later on then it's your choice and hers. But almost a 3 hour drive both ways is a little nutty, especially if you're going to be doing that almost everyday.

Everyone has such valid points. We will wait to see what the current gym has to offer next season...but it doesn't seem likely that it will grow into something that will fit my daughter's needs. There is another gym in town that has a lot of talented athletes and higher levels, but that gym would never be an option for us based on a lack of integrity (illegal athletes). Moving to the mega gym is more about the opportunities in the future that would be there and not what level team she made next season, her skills are there...so I'm confident she would end up on the right team for her. A huge concern at our current gym is that a lot of the girls there aren't as committed, they don't have that same drive to push themselves to be the best they can be, they aren't held accountable and CP isn't being pushed past her limits to get to the level she wants. It is a hard decision.

When we moved here, the nearest cheer gym was an hour away. She was changing and doing homework in the car. We weren't getting home til late. I have a full time job. Then winter came and we were being turned around on the interstate by the police. At that point, risking an accident wasn't worth it anymore. So I started a local prep division program. It all comes down to safety in the end.

I think that if you are not getting what you need from the gym then it is definitely worth considering a move. No matter how long your drive might be, if it is better for your athlete in skills or being on an appropriate team, then it is worth it.

personally, this is just my opinion, if it means that much to her, do it. make sure she knows how long the drive will be and how tough it will be to handle school, home and cheer life. If she wats it bad enough, i would say do it

1.5 is the longest I would consider. Anything more would be too much wear and tear on the athlete, family, school. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own standards so I do my best not to judge others’ choices.

Back