All-Star How Important Are Facials?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I first started cheering (8 years ago) I was consistently yelled at by my coach for not doing facials. I refused to do them. I hate them. . . with a passion. Like others have said, a simple smile, singing the words, and great energy are enough. However, the energy is the most important part. I have an extremely beginner middle school team. I told them to smile and show me energy when we were practicing our first half time routine. O.M.G. They looked like a dead doll still smiling. Literally. They had no energy, just a smile. It takes some experience to get that energy look.

I don't think we get caught up in the appearance to forget it's a sport. I think appearance is a huge factor. I think the overall impression categories of score sheets are influence by appearance, energy, and obviously the overall impression of the routine.

When I first started cheering (8 years ago) I was consistently yelled at by my coach for not doing facials. I refused to do them. I hate them. . . with a passion. Like others have said, a simple smile, singing the words, and great energy are enough. However, the energy is the most important part. I have an extremely beginner middle school team. I told them to smile and show me energy when we were practicing our first half time routine. O.M.G. They looked like a dead doll still smiling. Literally. They had no energy, just a smile. It takes some experience to get that energy look.

I don't think we get caught up in the appearance to forget it's a sport. I think appearance is a huge factor. I think the overall impression categories of score sheets are influence by appearance, energy, and obviously the overall impression of the routine.

This is hilarious. I have a lot of athletes who have this look and honestly thats is one of the few times that I say I would rather them not smile than look like a dead doll.

I don't think facials are overly important as far as making faces goes. However, I think that smiling or lip singing the words to the music is important. I makes the team looks like they're having tons of fun! And it sells the rutein. As a cheerleader you have to preform, the more you do the better. I don't think that necessarily means making faces, just smiling and having fun does the trick!

I think performing is more important. Selling your routine to the judges! Facials are just a plus. But I love a wink here and there!

I believe smiling, lip syncing the music, and having energy are really important to the overall impression of a routine. I don't love or hate crazy facials, they can look good, or they can look like your having a seizure. It's all about the way you do them. If you look dead, you will not do well. Shooting Stars are definitely excellent performers, like people said above.

Maybe it's me, but when people say facials I automatically think of bobbleheaded blowfish girls on bad pop warner, high school and allstar teams. To me, there's a difference between enjoying and selling a routine and "facials". A nice smile, singing along and actually enjoying what you are doing sells a routine so much more than what some of those poor unfortunate souls put me through.

The best facials on the floor are those that are genuine! I love to see athletes "loving" what they do on the floor - to me, a good performance embodies athletes that are confident in their skills and show it. I always tell my athletes that our flyers are the "sales people" of the team. All eyes are on the flyers during a stunt and pyramid, which takes up a good chunk of the routine, and if the flyers are not singing, and selling that stunt sequence with attitude and confidence, the routine feels dead. It's a catch-22, the more confident the athletes are on the floor, the better the performance, hence hitting more routines...hitting more routines brings the confidence and performance!

I feel facials are important because if you dont look excited to do what you're doing then as a spectator or judge i won't be excited to watch you do what you're doing.
BUT i do think people take facials too far. sticking your tongue out isn't appealing in any shape or form. singing the music always looks good.

When it comes to co-ed I find the facials of the males to be very important. If they look like they are having fun and are into it the entire routine comes off better. Of course there is so much more involved but I do think it adds a lot.

When it comes to co-ed I find the facials of the males to be very important. If they look like they are having fun and are into it the entire routine comes off better. Of course there is so much more involved but I do think it adds a lot.

When you face fierce males (guys who really sell the routine) the whole thing can come alive. The girls have to sell the routine too, but the guys are kind of like the ribbon on top of an already beautifully wrapped present.

It must be more than a simple smile. You should sell your routine with your whole face! Chin up, chest out, big smile or singing, and show me your excitement with your eyes! I want to see confidence not kissy lips!

My favorite performer is Caurie Schonder from Rays Rust. She is Rogers wife and to me is the definition of perfect performance. Fox aired Rust from NCA last year and kept zooming in on her. She smiles with her whole face!

I hate facials!!! I love a big smile with big eyes and I love when the flyer sings the music!! You can perform without looking like your going nuts, its all in the attitude!! Go out there and perform like you are the best thing since sliced bread!

Back