High School How Long Are Your Practices?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 30, 2013
How many days a week and how many hours do other high school squads practice? And does your HS also go to competitions? I'm just curious ... :p

2 hours a day 4-5 days a week, sometimes more before comps. We only have regionals and state (sometimes nationals) to go to so there aren't that many comps. Once state is over we don't have many practices except for nationals squad. Sometimes we have one hour practices when we only work on cheers

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I was wondering if 13-14 hours a week was low, high, or average (for non-comp practice) and your answers helped me a lot. :cheering:

My varsity team (which is my competition team only) practice 3.5 hours per practice, two days a week. As we get closer to competition, practices are usually extended to 4.5 hours, 2 days a week.
Junior varsity is my sideline team for football and rugby. They will be practicing 4 days a week this year for approx 1 - 1 1/2 hours per practice during the fall for football and then in the spring for rugby. We will break during the winter and not have practice so that I can concentrate on competition season.

My varsity team ranges from 3 hours to 7 hours, and we practice everyday but Sunday. That's for both competition and football/basketball. :)

That's just nuts. It's likely also against the rules for high school activities.

Two questions: Does that include sign painting time? Is the routine the most intricate in the history of routines?

The Fierce Board! Where one day you're in and the next day you're talked about.

That's just nuts. It's likely also against the rules for high school activities.

Two questions: Does that include sign painting time? Is the routine the most intricate in the history of routines?

Idk about the previous poster but when I was in high school we practiced 3 hours a day M-F and 4 hours on Saturday for competition plus an extra 2 hours on Thursday to prepare for the football games on Fridays (and to paint signs lol). But, we got our routine usually Labor Day weekend and our first competition was the beginning of October, so we had a month to perfect the routine. Once we got to basketball season, we practiced once or twice a week for 1-2 hours. However, I do agree that 7 hours a day would be extremely excessive.

My varsity team ranges from 3 hours to 7 hours, and we practice everyday but Sunday. That's for both competition and football/basketball. :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Hopefully that is just in the summer. How can you do a 7 hour practice during the week with school? My CP's varsity team practiced 2 days a week for 3 hours at a gym this summer and 2 days 2 hours at her high school to learn sideline cheers, team bonding, etc. Once school starts practices will be 3 days a week for around 2 1/2 hours after school and Friday night football games. Which is about all she can handle because she also cheers All Star which practices 2 nights a week and Saturdays.

Yes, we usually set aside about 30 minutes to an hour to make signs at the beginning or end of practice.

And yes, I am aware that the 7 hour practice were excessive and extreme. The 7 hour practices were only during the summer, but that's still no excuse. We had a lot of parents complain to the point wear our highschool enacted a rule stating that no practices could exceed 5 hours. After school our practices our 3 hours, and on the weekends they are longer.

Hopefully that is just in the summer. How can you do a 7 hour practice during the week with school? My CP's varsity team practiced 2 days a week for 3 hours at a gym this summer and 2 days 2 hours at her high school to learn sideline cheers, team bonding, etc. Once school starts practices will be 3 days a week for around 2 1/2 hours after school and Friday night football games. Which is about all she can handle because she also cheers All Star which practices 2 nights a week and Saturdays.

The seven hour practices were only during the summer, and on Saturdays. :)

Back