All-Star How Long Of A Break Is Reasonable?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
CP’s team is done for the season. Evaluations are in April. She is planning to stay on prep next season simply because of the travel schedule. How long can she take off without ending up too behind or losing skills? I admit, this cheer mom could use a break, too!

CP’s team is done for the season. Evaluations are in April. She is planning to stay on prep next season simply because of the travel schedule. How long can she take off without ending up too behind or losing skills? I admit, this cheer mom could use a break, too!
I think it'd be good for her to maintain her fitness level, so some basic conditioning like push-ups,sit-ups,maybe some running/walking, handstand drills,and stretching to keep her flexibility.
I don't know what level she does, but prep is maxed out on level 3 right?
If she is a level 3, I wouldn't worry as much about losing skills as she's more experienced, but focus more on keeping up strength and fitness. Maybe get into the gym around the summer holidays (June/July ?) for a private, and until then do an open gym every once in a while,keeping it relaxed.
If she is on a lower level, she should still do the basic conditioning/stretching, do some open gyms but depending on how easy/difficult tumbling is for her, get into the gym a little earlier, may/June, and work progressions in a private,followed by open gyms or if there is no desire to move up a level, maintaining her skills for the current level. If your daughter enjoys going to the gym for tumbling, maybe they offer classes during the summer? That would ensure her working on basics and progressions.

Last summer once it got hot, she basically lived at the gym-lots of tumbling, conditioning classes, stunt classes, etc. I fully expect that to happen again-there’s a real lure of an air conditioned building with lots of people to socialize with once school stuff is done. It’s more-how much do I need to push her until, say,May. I know a lot of kids are loading up on privates to try to get skills, but that’s not really a big concern.

She walks/runs about 5 Miles a day unless she has practice, and has been doing so all through Spring break. ThT’s more stress management than anything else.

There is no set time limit. Just depends on what you DO with your time off.

Note that if your time off includes 2 privates a week, open gym every day, and a class, it's not really time off.

Pick like 2-3 things she likes and stick to it. Also beyond tumbling, it is almost more important that she is not out of shape afterward.

If there is another activity (ex: rec soccer, etc.) that she likes, that will keep her stamina up, that is a great idea.

Well if Evaluations are next month I don't think she has a lot of time to take off. It really depends on the kid. My child cannot stop tumbling for more than a week or two at a time or everything is very hard when she gets back in the gym.

I completely agree with the physical conditioning...the running, etc. They have to stay in shape that way no matter what. But some kids have to keep working jumps and tumbling all the time. It's off season here, so my daughter does one tumble class a week, one stunt class a week. Uses the trampoline to work on jumps and goes to the gym 2 days a week just to run and lift weights.

There's never any real time off in cheer;)

Back