All-Star How Many Athletes Should You Have On A Squad To Compete?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 17, 2017
I took over a new program and we currently have 10 athletes. We are currently deciding if we should compete with the amount of team members. We would be junior level 2. I know usasf says you must have 5 members. Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've coached teams of 11, 12 and 14. I think 8 would be my minimum, since you an at least then get 2 stunt groups

ETA - Remember, smaller teams means mistakes are easier to see, but smaller teams are easier to clean

What is the other option, a performance team? Either way I've seen good routines with 10 athletes. But if someone quits or gets injured it can really affect the quality of the routine.

Do they have all or most of their level 2 skills? Because with a small team, someone standing around not contributing will be more noticeable and the J2 division always has a lot of competition.

My oldest's first year many many moons ago was on a junior prep level 2 team which started with 14 and had 11 by the time they started competing. They killed every comp. But as mentioned above, because of the size, execution needs to be flawless.

The most successful team CP has ever been on was a mini 1 team of 10 girls. You have 2 stunt groups and a shoulder sit. You can do a lot with that.

CP's team dropped from 12 to 11 this past season and they had to rework a few things but the changes seemed to have made it better. After the one girl left, they got 1st place in all but 1 of the last 5 competitions.
I think with that few you definitely have to have as much tumbling as possible that is clean.

Wasn't there a Worlds or Summit team with just 7?

I believe that Allstar Athletics has competed in small coed and international small coed with 7 athletes, so 1 stunt group and 3 tumblers.

CP's team dropped from 12 to 11 this past season and they had to rework a few things but the changes seemed to have made it better. After the one girl left, they got 1st place in all but 1 of the last 5 competitions.
I think with that few you definitely have to have as much tumbling as possible that is clean.

The team that won R5 D2 summit in 2016 was 8 kids.

I had a team of 9 that won Summit in 2016. Definitely easier to clean, A lot more visible for mistakes though. Theres Pro's and Con's to it.

My first year of cheer I was on a small junior sec. 1 team and we only had 12 at maximum through the whole season. Although choreography was a challenge especially with 3 or 4 of us being first year athletes and there was a lot of room for error, I loved competing and training with a small team, you can get some really good team bonds going. Weigh it up on what's best for your kids, parents and gym but I loved a small team

I coached a team of 12-14 this year, and loved it. I've coached a team of 9 before and it can be done and I will admit it was harder. My favorite team size is probably 17. Big enough so the floor doesn't look empty, but small enough to be able to clean more effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back