How Much Bonding/togetherness At Away Competitions?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by kewpiekid, Mar 6, 2019.

1. kewpiekid

kewpiekid I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Hi,

Curious what your teams do or require in terms of doing things together when you are away at competitions. This is our first year and other than a team dinner and everyone wearing the same thing and staying at the same hotel, that is about it. We are heading to Summit and people are complaining about needing to do things together as a team while we are there (parks, meals, etc.). Curious what your experience has been, especially at big comps like Nationals/Summit.

2. alpaca

alpaca Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    CP's gym doesn't require anything during out of town comps. People do their own thing. The gym usually tries to get a group rate for hotels but there are always families that want an AirBnb or a different hotel. As long as they show up at the venue at the correct time, no one cares.

3. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Personally I don’t like going out to a restaurant in a lg group on a busy weekend. Slow service and splitting bill is another thing! Worlds when we only have 1 team there we do a bbq after practice and breakfast at the house Saturday as a team. We rent 2 houses next to each other so a lot of time to hang out together.

4. kewpiekid

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree about the big groups in restaurants- can't stand it! We are staying on site for Summit and I am really hoping we can at least do our own thing for meals.

5. CC1107

CC1107 I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Voice of distension here - this year CP is on an extra small team. They do A LOT together at away comps, but not everything. They normally will group together during the getting ready process unless we perform insanely early. Ride to venues are always done as a caravan. At least one meal together, unless its Day 2 and we perform and award in the morning - then we are released. I agree with the eating out part but we always stay at the same location so we cater in (if you have never done this Olive Garden's Pasta Bar to go is always an excellent option - tons of food, about $12/per person so actually ends up cheaper than when we eat out, we also Grub Hub and Uber Eats occasionally).

This is not a gym policy, I think it has more to do with this group of girls being close and the parents willing to facilitate it.

6. kewpiekid

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This sounds similar to us- I forgot about the getting ready together before comps and the caravan, LOL. We are heading to a 2 day away comp this weekend and I like the idea of ordering in. Silly question, but where does everyone gather to eat when you order a big food delivery to a hotel?

7. OldskoolKYcheercoach

OldskoolKYcheercoach I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Word to the wise -

Group outings, team dinners, etc are all smoke and mirrors when it comes to “team building.” There’s not a lot of bang for your buck. Someone out of the group ends up going to a restaurant they don’t like, or a theme park they don’t think is fun, etc. True team building occurs during practice and in overcoming challenges together. I’d rather use my practice time with a cheerleading-specific drill that requires them to rely on each other and see the good in each other, than try to get them all into Magic Kingdom on the same night.

8. kewpiekid

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I could not agree more. I feel like the "team bonding" is more of an effort to force the moms to bond which is impossible with so many different personalities.

9. BlockHead

BlockHead Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I would not like a "team bonding" event while out of town. My daughter is friends with everybody on her teams. And her best friend isn't even on her team. She would much rather hang out with people she chooses than do a team bonding event.

10. Newishcheermama

Newishcheermama I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    CP's gym does not require anything in terms of team bonding at away competitions. I think it would be very difficult and rather useless to require people to attend bonding events. A lot of us often do things together, but that's by our own choice. I agree with OldSchoolKYcheercoach, that true bonding happens more organically, at practices and in overcoming and working through tough situations.

11. molls

molls They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    We did a group dinner at Rainforest Cafe in Disney Springs at D2 Summit a few years ago. They offered a buffet option for our team so the gym knew price per person beforehand and charged it with the Summit fees. Parents did not have to attend but many chose to. Soft drinks, dinner, and dessert were included in the price. If the parents wanted alcohol, that was on their own dime.

12. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    We stay in the same hotel and we bus the kids to and from the venue together. Some of the best times they had on our trip this past weekend were on the bus with a Bluetooth speaker and their favourite songs. Also warming up before warmups with dancing and singing. I've always found that forced bonding doesn't work the same way as the kind that happens organically.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Not a fan. I have found parents and kids to be divided on team events during comps, and it's often just added stress for some.

Something that I've heard a lot of positive feedback from parents and kids is "clothes pinning" fans and other cheerleaders. You can get a pkg of 50 for $5, the kids put a short, positive messages on them and they get together in small groups and clip them to backpacks, purses, belt loops throughout the competition venue. It's a way for the kids to do something kind, it enforces good sportsmanship, it doesn't require a lot of time or cost much.

14. cfwp.cheerleader

cfwp.cheerleader Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    We always did team bonding dinners - but I agree with the above they are 'meh' in terms of fun factor for team bonding. Allowing smaller groups to pick what they want to do (i.e. Group 1 is Magic Kingdom, Group 2 is the water park, etc) just ensuring no one is left behind is more fun in my opinion. If a team dinner is a must - you can do a team dinner at the resort cafeteria (and just have everyone sit together) which is easy and doesn't require excessive organization to go anywhere/ split bills etc.

We would always do team meetings at the end of the day where we shared words of affirmation or praise within the team or for the coaches, and sometimes coaches would give us notes or cards with heartfelt notes.

In a team of 24+ girls - there is a lot of personality & in my experience at away competitions - spending every waking moment with your team has the opposite effect of bonding. People start to get annoyed with each other. As long as people are at practices on time - and following curfew, etc. etc. it is far more fun and effective.

15. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    School cheer here but -

If our meet time was early, I benefitted more from having my kids get into the hotel, check in, eat as they please, hang out, get settled and SLEEP than trying to wrangle them all just so we can all go to Hibachi together.

It also is borderline impossible to choose a team dinner location that is:

*not expensive
    *not too cheap.
    *not pizza because Becca and Suzie hate pizza.
    *not Asian because Katie, Kaylee, Brittney hate Asian.
    *not Mexican because Brynlee, Maddie, Marissa hate Mexican.
    *gluten free because the Browns and Smith fam all have gluten intolerance.
    *have vegan options because Mariah, Karlee, McKenzie and family are vegan.
    *is certified organic.
    *has dairy free options because Jenna, Brianna and fam can't have dairy.
    *is safe for Becky's peanut allergy.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List