How Much Bonding/togetherness At Away Competitions?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by kewpiekid, Mar 6, 2019.

1. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We don’t do anything. Usually they all hang out with whichever teammates are at their hotel, but since we have several options, most parents pick the hotel they have points at. I’m incredibly glad we don’t have team dinners, as my daughter is a picky celiac and it would be really difficult for her. People always have trouble understanding the difference between restaurants that have some gluten free food and restaurants that are safe for celiacs. Last thing we need is to have her vomiting all weekend

• Shimmy Shimmy x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. kewpiekid

kewpiekid I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes, our gym does this and the girls get excited when they get pinned!

3. OldskoolKYcheercoach

OldskoolKYcheercoach I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Take that a step further: if the team bonds, the parents will follow suit.

4. CC1107

CC1107 I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We normally ask at before or at check in if there is a place we can bring food in to. Most (but not all) are quite accommodating. Our gym also does Day 1 nighttime pep rally for ALL teams from the gym to meet and regroup, so we normally have space already figured out for that as well.

5. AllyCat

AllyCat I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    Allycat0019
    Twitter:
    AlySCheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I’ve done various things with all my teams
    My first UCA we all brought a Plain Sports bra and some fabric writers and hung out in a hotel room together listening to our music and decorating the bras that we then wore under our uniforms..
    Another time we met in the conference room of the hotel with markers and construction paper and we wrote positive things for/about each other.
    I think one of my favourite team bonding memories was
    USA Nationals in 2013
    The practice before we left we wrote on a paper all of our doubts and fears about the upcoming competition. When we arrived, the night before the competition we met outside the hotel in the courtyard area and our coaches did a whole elaborate skits and handed out the fears and doubts and we took turns reading them out. We then put them in a pile and burned them as if we were burning our doubts and fears.
    Another comp our team mom had pillows made with our team picture on them and we all signed each other’s as a little keep sake...
    ALL 2 day camps we would always meet at the end of day 1 and watch our video and go over scores/what we can improve on etc

I did university cheer this year after years out of the game and their version of team bonding was getting drunk together..every weekend (and sometimes weekdays) needless to say being the oldest on the team by about 3 years I had a real job I had to go to and didn’t attend most of these. this team was the least bonded team I’ve ever been apart of

6. california cheer mom

california cheer mom Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    For Summit we usually do a team day in one of the parks (kids only with coaches) and a team meal. Sometimes the tea meal is families and sometimes it is just kids and coaches. We are not required to stay in the same place.

7. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    We have our advisor and/or team mom go out and do a big grocery run when we get there and then set up the food in her room with the girls able to go in/out during the day. We take requests but mostly get bagels, granola bars, trail mix, fruit, snack trays, drinks... stuff that’ll work without a refrigerator or microwave. If girls want stuff that requires a fridge, we buy it and then they store it themselves. And we get A TON because of our SL team and it’s usually all gone by the time we’re done, with a handful of girls asking why we didn’t get more Oreos.

8. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We were never required to do anything together at a gym---at either place we cheered at.