All-Star How Much Do Other Sports Cost Compared To Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For $20 more dollars you could have gotten a pretty decent seat at Bruno Mars! Craziness. Do parents have to purchase at same price? Is there a discount?

One of the things that really bothers me me is the cost incurred by the parent to watch their kid is high enough that some people literally cannot go. Or only one of you can. etc.

I saw this happen a lot especially for competitions we drove to.

Me too. With HS, I tell the girls they can work toward an athletic scholarship, maybe to Hawaii (they LOVE hearing that). But with the girls for whom college isn’t an option, it’s hard to sell the why of cheerleading. I tell them to do it so they can develop healthy habits for the rest of their lives (they don’t care about that yet). Or so they can grow up and tell their kids/husbands that they were a national champ cheerleader (they sorta care about that). When I’m really digging for reasons, I just say they should stick to it because maybe they’ll go pro and meet a ball player or segue into modeling. And then I get depressed and take everyone out for Starbucks.

Are you being sarcastic? This can't be the real advice you give to high school cheerleaders, right?

The cheapest seat you can get is $43.10. The most expensive is well over $100. Two years ago the seating was absolutely horrible so I will be there but I'm not going to waste my money buying a ticket this year.
For $20 more dollars you could have gotten a pretty decent seat at Bruno Mars! Craziness. Do parents have to purchase at same price? Is there a discount?

One of the things that really bothers me me is the cost incurred by the parent to watch their kid is high enough that some people literally cannot go. Or only one of you can. etc.

Varsity's Moody Credit score was downgraded to a B2 back in July because their debt ratio was too high and with the pending leveraged buy out. Financially speaking, Varsity doesn't take in enough revenue with their current debt level. That's not defending them, that's just financial fact based on their score. That coupled along with these major cities with these multi million and billion dollar facilities that have their own massive debt issues aren't able to make concessions in pricing either. More local travel is the only way AS can lower the costs for everyone (parents, gym owners, and Varsity), but that whole "everyone can be a National Champion if we attend enough National Championships" mentality has to be addressed.

Well if you have to sell it, they probably should not be cheering! Mine cheer because they love it and as much as I wished they took to ball sports, they never had great hand eye coordination and they didn't have full bar or beam skills for gymnastics. I was thrilled when they found cheer as a sport that could keep them active and occupied, and while the cost are excessive and ridiculous overall they have developed life skills, experiences and friendships that will last long after they stop cheering. Very small % play sports in college or go pro anyway so that was never our goal.

Yeah they love it, but when costs get high sometimes they ask these "big picture" questions (money is tight in my area). Why should they invest all this money in something that might get them to college -- assuming their parents can afford college -- but then not realistically offer any lucrative career opportunities outside of that? (And the keyword is "lucrative" so the kid can ideally help provide for the rest of the family one day.) I mean yeah, after HS/college they could go pro for fifty bucks a game (that's what it was when I did it... maybe it's changed idk). Or they could look into coaching. Neither are very lucrative. They could consider gym ownership, assuming they have a mind for business and their location/economy is good. There are some good job options in cheer, but not enough for some parents to justify all the costs (friendships and experiences aren't really a priority). They just see it as, "Well she'll cheer for awhile, and then she'll graduate and stop, and then that money is gone and we'll never see it again." And it's hard to convince them that it doesn't have to be that way.

Varsity's Moody Credit score was downgraded to a B2 back in July because their debt ratio was too high and with the pending leveraged buy out. Financially speaking, Varsity doesn't take in enough revenue with their current debt level. That's not defending them, that's just financial fact based on their score. That coupled along with these major cities with these multi million and billion dollar facilities that have their own massive debt issues aren't able to make concessions in pricing either. More local travel is the only way AS can lower the costs for everyone (parents, gym owners, and Varsity), but that whole "everyone can be a National Champion if we attend enough National Championships" mentality has to be addressed.
Credit ratings often change during ownership transfers. Debt comes from many places. I have been a part of many companies who had a healthy revenue stream and would have been very successful if they had control over expenses that were unnecessary and flagrant and had better cash management practices.
And you are defending Varsity - as you do in nearly every post you make on here.

Yeah they love it, but when costs get high sometimes they ask these "big picture" questions (money is tight in my area). Why should they invest all this money in something that might get them to college -- assuming their parents can afford college -- but then not realistically offer any lucrative career opportunities outside of that? (And the keyword is "lucrative" so the kid can ideally help provide for the rest of the family one day.) I mean yeah, after HS/college they could go pro for fifty bucks a game (that's what it was when I did it... maybe it's changed idk). Or they could look into coaching. Neither are very lucrative. They could consider gym ownership, assuming they have a mind for business and their location/economy is good. There are some good job options in cheer, but not enough for some parents to justify all the costs (friendships and experiences aren't really a priority). They just see it as, "Well she'll cheer for awhile, and then she'll graduate and stop, and then that money is gone and we'll never see it again." And it's hard to convince them that it doesn't have to be that way.

Honestly, as a parent, I sometimes question the value of All Star cheer, and I’m subtly pushing my CP to considering Sideline. She loves competing, but there really aren’t any competitive options other than All Star for her age and level unless she wants to change schools. If she can stay in the sport she loves in a less expensive way, I’d gladly do it. But 10k buys a big chunk of college tuition. And, realistically, that’s about what a year of All Star ends up costing.

Yeah they love it, but when costs get high sometimes they ask these "big picture" questions (money is tight in my area). Why should they invest all this money in something that might get them to college -- assuming their parents can afford college -- but then not realistically offer any lucrative career opportunities outside of that?
I understand that, and hear you that the investment should not have to be so high that we ask these questions. I am just suggesting that those are not realistic expectations for a great number of sports and activities that also end up being quiet expensive and that there are other benefits to consider.

The cheapest seat you can get is $43.10. The most expensive is well over $100. Two years ago the seating was absolutely horrible so I will be there but I'm not going to waste my money buying a ticket this year.

We went last year and purchased the $100 seats. It was actually kind of nice because we were able to go and watch the teams practice. We each received a Majors t-shirt that you could not purchase as a regular spectator. There was also a party that we could have attended the evening before where they did meet and greets (we weren't in town for this). Plus we had front row center seats. My daughter and her bestie were so excited and had a fabulous time. If we were to do it again, I would purchase seats for my daughter and her friend and I would stay back at the hotel due to the high cost. But I am glad that I did get to experience it once.

And from what I understand, it was set up the same as the year before. There were so many horrible seats in the back, elevated seats. So many seats where you could only see about half of the stage. Absolutely no excuse to sell seats like this.

Varsity's Moody Credit score was downgraded to a B2 back in July because their debt ratio was too high and with the pending leveraged buy out. Financially speaking, Varsity doesn't take in enough revenue with their current debt level. That's not defending them, that's just financial fact based on their score.
ding ding ding

I understand that, and hear you that the investment should not have to be so high that we ask these questions. I am just suggesting that those are not realistic expectations for a great number of sports and activities that also end up being quiet expensive and that there are other benefits to consider.

Oh I totally agree with you. There are other benefits to cheer that aren’t related to how it may contribute to a teenager’s future earning potential. And there certainly are other sports out there where the costs are just as high and the “end results” are just as uncertain. But I think — and maybe I’m just being cynical — that parents feel more comfortable investing in traditional or “real” sports (uggh). For one thing, scholarships are more common for sports like baseball or basketball. For another, there are more lucrative industries built around those sports, especially for boys. And even though the odds of any kid being the next Steph Curry are low, parents know that the odds of their kid being the next Steph Curry of cheerleading — with the income and everything to match — are nonexistent. Thus, to them, it’s worth investing a ton in “real” sports where they know real-world interest and earning potential already exist regardless of how unlikely it is that their kid will actually have a career in that sport. The name of the game is definitely, “Will we see a return on investment?” And it’s hard to broaden their focus outside of that sometimes.

Oh I totally agree with you. There are other benefits to cheer that aren’t related to how it may contribute to a teenager’s future earning potential. And there certainly are other sports out there where the costs are just as high and the “end results” are just as uncertain. But I think — and maybe I’m just being cynical — that parents feel more comfortable investing in traditional or “real” sports (uggh). For one thing, scholarships are more common for sports like baseball or basketball. For another, there are more lucrative industries built around those sports, especially for boys. And even though the odds of any kid being the next Steph Curry are low, parents know that the odds of their kid being the next Steph Curry of cheerleading — with the income and everything to match — are nonexistent. Thus, to them, it’s worth investing a ton in “real” sports where they know real-world interest and earning potential already exist regardless of how unlikely it is that their kid will actually have a career in that sport. The name of the game is definitely, “Will we see a return on investment?” And it’s hard to broaden their focus outside of that sometimes.

I mean there are definitely benefits to all activities, no matter the cost for kids/teenagers. I believe active and busy kids regardess of the activity are more successful. Do I think wearing a million rhinestoned uniform and 17 expensive practice outfits is part of future benefits, NO... but I also think that regardless of what activity, sport, etc that parents put money into, it is their hard earned money and MOST of these activities there is no "ROI" on a career in said activity... however... it's tough to say what is too much, unfortunately we live in a keeping up with the Jones's society and with that comes expense. I think the better thing is to make sure the industry and the people in it are seen in a positive light and the athletes are learning, and having fun b/c that will translate into life lessons. OK I'm done.

My husband and I have had this conversation about ROI many times. In my area, if you are looking for scholarships and the possibility of pro, then put your kid in baseball. However, the sexy sport around me is lacrosse. So people will pour tons of money into lacrosse even if their kid is mediocre. Is it for scholarships? Sometimes. But lacrosse is a culture around me. Its one I avoid, but it is something that many many families want to be a part of. Why? Because lots of people in my area don't leave. Or they leave for college and then come back. And those lacrosse contacts from high school can help people get jobs, get into the right clubs etc. The first question AS A GROWN ADULT that you hear when meeting people is "what school did you go to" and they mean high school. Then you hear "what sport did you play." I live in a major metro area with a lot of cliques.

Since we do not play into this culture, what is the ROI for cheer in our family? I agree fully with the old adage "idle hands are the devils workshop" A lonely and bored teenage girl is primed for high risk behavior. Even the sweetest and most innocent kids can get into trouble when they have nothing else to do. Cheer keeps my kid BUSY. She is active and athletic, (she didn't need to) but she has lost weight since the comp season kicked off and they are running full outs. Thats hows how hard they are working. She has a ton of confidence from performing in front of a packed venue. She has learned time management skills to be able to fit in the travel, the weekly practices and tumble/privates. She has a connection with younger kids in the sport through programs at the gym. These skills are invaluable and fully transferable to any adult position she may pursue.

Also, we don't belong to a gym that is out of control with costs. It was maybe 5k including travel last year. So yes expensive, but not nearly as much as at other gyms.

My husband and I have had this conversation about ROI many times. In my area, if you are looking for scholarships and the possibility of pro, then put your kid in baseball. However, the sexy sport around me is lacrosse. So people will pour tons of money into lacrosse even if their kid is mediocre. Is it for scholarships? Sometimes. But lacrosse is a culture around me. Its one I avoid, but it is something that many many families want to be a part of. Why? Because lots of people in my area don't leave. Or they leave for college and then come back. And those lacrosse contacts from high school can help people get jobs, get into the right clubs etc. The first question AS A GROWN ADULT that you hear when meeting people is "what school did you go to" and they mean high school. Then you hear "what sport did you play." I live in a major metro area with a lot of cliques.

Since we do not play into this culture, what is the ROI for cheer in our family? I agree fully with the old adage "idle hands are the devils workshop" A lonely and bored teenage girl is primed for high risk behavior. Even the sweetest and most innocent kids can get into trouble when they have nothing else to do. Cheer keeps my kid BUSY. She is active and athletic, (she didn't need to) but she has lost weight since the comp season kicked off and they are running full outs. Thats hows how hard they are working. She has a ton of confidence from performing in front of a packed venue. She has learned time management skills to be able to fit in the travel, the weekly practices and tumble/privates. She has a connection with younger kids in the sport through programs at the gym. These skills are invaluable and fully transferable to any adult position she may pursue.

Also, we don't belong to a gym that is out of control with costs. It was maybe 5k including travel last year. So yes expensive, but not nearly as much as at other gyms.

I should have you talk to my kids’ parents lol.

I echo all of these things to them. Unfortunately, my school is in a working class community where most people would much rather invest in an activity that can also act as a road map to their kids’ financial success. So the promise of nebulous concepts like “self-discipline” and “time management” are all well and good, but not what they would like to throw hundreds of dollars at. Especially since most parents think that’s what school is for anyway.

Credit ratings often change during ownership transfers. Debt comes from many places. I have been a part of many companies who had a healthy revenue stream and would have been very successful if they had control over expenses that were unnecessary and flagrant and had better cash management practices.
And you are defending Varsity - as you do in nearly every post you make on here.

What in the world?! Moody’s is public information and gives their explanation for the credit rating they gave Varsity online, no speculation, guessing or defending needed. They were a B3 rating prior to the LBO and their debt ratio is high because of their most recent acquisition.
You can email Moody’s and give them your explanation for their rating though, I’m sure they’d appreciate your expert opinion from the many companies you’ve been part of.

That is too funny. In our area it's crew/rowing.

Latest posts

Back